The Green is In!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahah! After much contemplation as to what oil to run for my just concluded 50k oci for my 1.8T...from wanting to try the Mobil varieties(EP 10w40, 0w40, T&S 5w40) to Motul 0w40 or GC 0w30...

I eventually ended up using...yep, 5qts of good ol' green GC from my stash of 27!
grin.gif

Though it gives off a little more nvh compared to the prev fill of Rotella 5w40(Arx rinse), I think I did the right move.
cheers.gif

Next off after this fill..a uoa.
cool.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
Hehe... is this a term coined by BITOG members? It needs to be added to the acronym list.
smile.gif

Not a BITOG term, a simple search for NVH definition via Google turns up 7,200 hits such as this one:

"NVH is an acronym for "Noise, Vibration, Harshness" - this is a measure of vehicle "feel" and is a combined measure of (1) the noise level in the car during driving; (2) the vibration that can be felt by the customer during driving; and (3) the harshness of the vehicle ride during abrupt transitions in vehicle motion (i.e., potholes!). In many respects a subjective measure of vehicle performance, there are several analytical tools that are out there that purport to measure vehicle performance in this respect.

As you might imagine, NVH performance relates to the vibrational response of the vehicle to driving conditions. As such, stiffness of the vehicle structure, the mass of the vehicle, and the damping effects of the vehicle suspension all come into play."

Just picked up four more litres of GC on sale (M04) for my wife's 2000 Corolla. It'll be interesting to see how it performs with that. My 1.8T Jetta is much smoother with GC than anything else that I have tried.

John.

Hey! Don't leave out us Audi guys!!!
cheers.gif
(Not to mention my Happy Taurus that is bathing its innards in the luxurious lubricity of the Elixer.)

quote:

Originally posted by vwoom:
Though it gives off a little more nvh compared to the prev fill of Rotella 5w40(Arx rinse), I think I did the right move.
cheers.gif

Well, my well pampered 5yr old B5 1.8T that just hit 50k today had nothing but factory spec 5w40 of mostly Motul before this fill of GC. This is the first time(since new)it deviated from the recommended viscoisty as per the VW manual to thinner 0w30...thus the noticeable and very apparent difference. The thicker 5w40 oil makes the engine more subdued, less nvh.

But make no mistake about it...I am sold on GC. In fact besides the wonders this oil can do, I really do believe this thing really has some Grp V/esters in it. This thing spreads like crazy on metal, just like my Motul.
cheers.gif

It's just the 0w30-ness running in a hot, hot turbo engine that makes me a little wary....if only the thicker Syntec 5w40 could equal the virtues of GC.

Ah yes, so this is what life is with GC..
grin.gif

O.k, I bought in to this hype because I value the info on this forum. I just want to make sure I'm not going to screw my warranty. I got my 04 german Castrol and I'm ready to do the car's first oil change. 2004 VW Jetta 1.8T 8000km. I've read the past posts and people are doing it and loving it. It is VW 502, 505, 503.01, so I should be o.k right? Thank you everyone.

Jeff

boedean (Jeff),

No worries. You are using an oil that meets VW's 502.00 requirement. Your warranty is safe. Make sure you keep your oil & filter receipts, just in case you ever need to prove to VW that the oil was changed.

Happy Vee-dubbin

quote:

Originally posted by boedean:
O.k, I bought in to this hype because I value the info on this forum. I just want to make sure I'm not going to screw my warranty.
Jeff

Relax and just let you and your FowVay become one with The Green...
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Enjoy. Your warranty is in very...good...hands...

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
Relax and just let you and your FowVay become one with The Green...
shocked.gif
wink.gif

Enjoy. Your warranty is in very...good...hands...

pscholte,

Very nice choice of word(s). Your discretion is admirable.
wink.gif

Cool, thanks guys! I'm so excited about being a part of team green! Do you think I can also run this in my G60?(1.8 supercharged:1991)

Jeff

[ May 28, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: boedean ]

boedean,

Now you have the responsibility of upholding the dignity and honor of Team Green (the Elves place a lot of emphasis on such things).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back