The great oil harvest of 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesInCharge

The Great Oil Harvest continues to provide her glorious honey nectar. I check Brickseek several times daily. I checked it this morning, and then again about an hour later. New clearances hit. I was immediately in the car and quickly at Walmart. I must have been the first person to see this glorious virgin clearance table layout in the clearance area. Had apparently not even been touched by anyone. All 5 qt. jugs were $5, and 1qt were between 50 cents and $1.50 each. Various weights of QS full synthetic, Pennzoil Blend, and some Supertech Conventional (50 cents/qt). This 120 qts. represents around $500 in retail value, which I got for $120.

I cannot understand or give a rational reason for it, since the Walmart oil shelves are battered with low inventory. It's a weird corporate move, and beyond my comprehension.

Resized_20210813_120721.jpeg
Resized_20210813_120635.jpeg
Resized_20210813_114941.jpeg
Resized_20210813_114922.jpeg
Resized_20210813_114743.jpeg

Attachments

• Resized_20210813_114914.jpeg
    Resized_20210813_114914.jpeg
    383.8 KB · Views: 27
The Great Oil Harvest continues to provide her glorious honey nectar. I check Brickseek several times daily. I checked it this morning, and then again about an hour later. New clearances hit. I was immediately in the car and quickly at Walmart. I must have been the first person to see this glorious virgin clearance table layout in the clearance area. Had apparently not even been touched by anyone. All 5 qt. jugs were $5, and 1qt were between 50 cents and $1.50 each. Various weights of QS full synthetic, Pennzoil Blend, and some Supertech Conventional (50 cents/qt). This 120 qts. represents around $500 in retail value, which I got for $120.

I cannot understand or give a rational reason for it, since the Walmart oil shelves are battered with low inventory. It's a weird corporate move, and beyond my comprehension.

View attachment 66914 View attachment 66915 View attachment 66916 View attachment 66917 View attachment 66918
Do you own a quick lube business? If not then what do you do with all this oil?

CharlesInCharge

Do you own a quick lube business? If not then what do you do with all this oil?
No, lol.
I use it to change my vehicles' oil, and I have several vehicles. I will use it. I now have enough oil for uninterrupted biannual changes for all of my vehicles for the next decade.

Normal retail, that would be about $3500 in oil today. I paid an average of probably less than $1 per qt. for my entire oil stash. It's basically a >4x return on investment or ROI. And I won't have to pay thru the nose retail prices when the oil change time comes. It's good for at least a decade stored indoors, so it won't go bad.

We're also facing soaring inflation, being reported everywhere. All prices will likely go up. And if, or when, there is an oil shortage or carbon tax on motor oils, or even a reduction in quality or base stocks, I'm hedged against such events.

No, lol.
I use it to change my vehicles' oil, and I have several vehicles. I will use it. I now have enough oil for uninterrupted biannual changes for all of my vehicles for the next decade.

Normal retail, that would be about $3500 in oil today. I paid an average of probably less than $1 per qt. for my entire oil stash. It's basically a >4x return on investment or ROI. And I won't have to pay thru the nose retail prices when the oil change time comes. It's good for at least a decade stored indoors, so it won't go bad.

We're also facing soaring inflation, being reported everywhere. All prices will likely go up. And if, or when, there is an oil shortage or carbon tax on motor oils, or even a reduction in quality or base stocks, I'm hedged against such events.
And people called me crazy...still do.

This guy gets it.

Nice score. I've been striking out with the stores I don't visit often lately. Tons of "clearance" oil available, just can't take it home because these people don't know what clearance means. The one I spoke to today didn't allow me to finish my question and cut me off. Instantly went into jerk mode and shooed me away. I can be a jerk too. I told him to have fun with that wasted shelf space and I'll be back when it inevitably ends up priced at what I was going to offer right now. It's clearly selling ridiculously fast in a back corner four aisles over from the rest of the oil where nobody sees it at basically full retail price. Not to mention the dozen or more of these facing backwards in top stock on the next aisle out of sight.

20210813_152405.jpg

CharlesInCharge

And people called me crazy...still do.

This guy gets it.

Nice score. I've been striking out with the stores I don't visit often lately. Tons of "clearance" oil available, just can't take it home because these people don't know what clearance means. The one I spoke to today didn't allow me to finish my question and cut me off. Instantly went into jerk mode and shooed me away. I can be a jerk too. I told him to have fun with that wasted shelf space and I'll be back when it inevitably ends up priced at what I was going to offer right now. It's clearly selling ridiculously fast in a back corner four aisles over from the rest of the oil where nobody sees it at basically full retail price. Not to mention the dozen or more of these facing backwards in top stock on the next aisle out of sight.

View attachment 66943

@OilMagnate
Similar story on my end. Probably 75% of the time, dept heads and managers claim they cannot do markdowns. Well, that's at best uninformed and at worst, a CYA lie. They just don't want the risk/hassle, which is understandable I suppose.

Several times I'll get a "no" from 1-3 levels of employees only to get a "yes" either at the register, with a manager, or at customer service desk. Sometimes the "yes" is so easy literally just the stroke of a keypad that the "no" given previously was clearly a lie. They can do it, they just don't want to. Other times, like yesterday, I had been to that store before when this was on "clearance" at 1% discount, went thru the same attempted logic offering to buy it all for $2 per qt., and was told "we cannot mark this down, we'll send it back for full credit, blah blah blah." Well, they'd have made twice as much money because weeks later, they marked it down to $1 per qt. The annoyance for me was the extra trip but my haul was probably larger with the Pennzoil included, and saving ~$400 was a nice motivation and bonus.

Do you have any theories why, with oil shelves as bare as they are, WM is almost giving this stuff away?

CharlesInCharge

Another score today, with a story. Above in post #41, I scored 120 qts of assorted QS and Pennzoil and ST all for an average of $1 per qt. After I checked out and filled my car, I checked Brickseek and it was showing there was STILL inventory. In my experience, I've checked Brickseek immediately after my purchases and it magically updates with a generally accurate figure. So, since I was there I decided to head back in just to double check and turn over every stone. I talked to two automotive employees who were helpless and then the auto manager happened upon us and he called someone and confirmed, that was the last of it as so-and-so "put it all out on the clearance table." I figured, good enough and left. Well, the ineptitude of folks never ends.

Last night, I checked Brickseek again and it was telling me there was still inventory at that store. Today, I checked again, still showing inventory. So I called and spoke with a different and very competent employee who went and put hands on the stuff in the back room. He said "at least 5 jugs." I told him I'd be there and headed over and linked up with the employee. Ended up with 17 more jugs of QSHM 5w30 and assorted Pennzoil 5w20, 5w30, and something I hadn't gotten in any of these sales before, 10w30. $5 per jug, so 85 more qts for $85. That's about 15 oil changes for the price of 1 or 2 at a service center!

That'll play! This particular Walmart has given up the goods. In the last 30 days from this location, I've bought 60 qts. of M1 HM 5w20 for $1.25 qt, and 205 qts of mostly QS and Pennzoil various weights for $1 per qt. Which is odd, because look at their sad oil shelves probably 80% empty! Regardless, the Great Oil Harvest rewards persistence. I'm almost at 1000 qts which is my goal.
Resized_20210814_124129.jpeg
Resized_20210814_130558.jpeg
Resized_20210814_144115.jpeg

CharlesInCharge, where approximately are you in PA? Outside Philly? Outside Pitt? somewhere else?

I'm only asking so I don't go to the same places you already cleared out. :)
I'm north of Philly

@OilMagnate
Similar story on my end. Probably 75% of the time, dept heads and managers claim they cannot do markdowns. Well, that's at best uninformed and at worst, a CYA lie. They just don't want the risk/hassle, which is understandable I suppose.

Several times I'll get a "no" from 1-3 levels of employees only to get a "yes" either at the register, with a manager, or at customer service desk. Sometimes the "yes" is so easy literally just the stroke of a keypad that the "no" given previously was clearly a lie. They can do it, they just don't want to. Other times, like yesterday, I had been to that store before when this was on "clearance" at 1% discount, went thru the same attempted logic offering to buy it all for $2 per qt., and was told "we cannot mark this down, we'll send it back for full credit, blah blah blah." Well, they'd have made twice as much money because weeks later, they marked it down to $1 per qt. The annoyance for me was the extra trip but my haul was probably larger with the Pennzoil included, and saving ~$400 was a nice motivation and bonus.

Do you have any theories why, with oil shelves as bare as they are, WM is almost giving this stuff away?
Couldn't have said it better myself.

As for the theory...it was removed from the planogram and Walmart is dropping these products. The planogram is like a religious book to them. What it says goes, no matter the reason or logic.

I also learned something new today. *TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT* because it's news to me and I'm quite fluent in Walmart shenanigans. Apparently the stores now (since who-knows-when) have an allowance for markdowns. This is a shared pool of markdown money/credits that the entire store shares. This markdown money has a budget and therefore also a cap. The less 'spent' as markdowns in one deparrment, the more another department can allot if needed. I'm not sure what happens if they're under 'budget.' I learned this budget resets every month on the 1st, and the store with Mr. Jerk has apparently already blown the budget for the entire month. Sounds to me like he's the one who blew it and got the heat for it, but that's an assumption. Guess I'll try my luck again September 1st...

Then again, this whole explanation could be a flat-out lie. As Charles has already explained: trust nobody at Walmart. Ever. Even my favorite store and connection isn't perfect. I just came home with a 5 quart jug and six single quarts of QS from his store. Failure to inform, because he has my information and knows I'm there with cash in 15 minutes, no questions asked.

On the bright side, I actually got some more and ended my 1-week drought.

CharlesInCharge

I also learned something new today. *TAKE IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT* because it's news to me and I'm quite fluent in Walmart shenanigans. Apparently the stores now (since who-knows-when) have an allowance for markdowns. This is a shared pool of markdown money/credits that the entire store shares. This markdown money has a budget and therefore also a cap. The less 'spent' as markdowns in one deparrment, the more another department can allot if needed. I'm not sure what happens if they're under 'budget.' I learned this budget resets every month on the 1st, and the store with Mr. Jerk has apparently already blown the budget for the entire month. Sounds to me like he's the one who blew it and got the heat for it, but that's an assumption. Guess I'll try my luck again September 1st...

Then again, this whole explanation could be a flat-out lie. As Charles has already explained: trust nobody at Walmart. Ever. Even my favorite store and connection isn't perfect. I just came home with a 5 quart jug and six single quarts of QS from his store. Failure to inform, because he has my information and knows I'm there with cash in 15 minutes, no questions asked.

On the bright side, I actually got some more and ended my 1-week drought.

Actually, this is a very similar explanation I received at 3 different stores. Budget caps, discount limits, etc. Various managers at different stores have stumbled thru an explanation similar to what you received so it may be legit. The difference is check at the END of the month. They may have more wiggle room for markdowns. That, however, is entirely inconsistent with the 75% markdowns I received yesterday and today. Walmart "gave" up about $600-700 in discounts to me in the last 36 hours. Midmonth. This particular WM has a clearance AISLE and an entire auto-center area with 3 conference room style tables overflowing with clearance items. And, also, while some managers hem and haw, adamant they absolutely cannot do it, I've experienced the total opposite. Once a regular employee on a cashier line asked me how much they are elsewhere, I said $6, and she punched in $6 and bingo, I got a cart full for that price. Another time, a nice lady at customer service did the exact same thing. I suspect that managers bonus' or pay must somehow be tied to it so they are less inclined to do the markdowns.

Not oil related, but I bought about 40, 1/2 qt bottles of clearance pump handsoap marked down from $3 to $1. Heck, the empty pump bottle is worth a dollar alone. Little pump bottles are super handy. I figure if each of these lasts 1 month that's nearly 4 years of pump hand soaps for my various sinks around the house. I also bought 5 pair of reader glasses as low as 25 cents each, keeping them in various places, cars, kitchen, etc. The WM clearances are pretty fantastic, not just oil related.

This particular WM has a clearance AISLE and an entire auto-center area with 3 conference room style tables overflowing with clearance items.
The walmart I stopped by today had :
1) super tech filter for a car I down own at .75
2) 1 fram filter in a box that looked like it went 2 rounds with Mike Tyson for $4

no oil

CharlesInCharge

The walmart I stopped by today had :
1) super tech filter for a car I down own at .75
2) 1 fram filter in a box that looked like it went 2 rounds with Mike Tyson for $4

no oil

Did you use Brickseek? @amblerman

This PA zip code had this QSHM 5w30 in 5 qt. jugs for only $3. Yes, three dollars. https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=479479168

This PA zip had it locally for $3, and one currently in stock for $10. https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=479479168

USE BRICKSEEK rather than just aimlessly driving around to WMs.

This PA zip code had this QSHM 5w30 in 5 qt. jugs for only $3. Yes, three dollars. https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=479479168

This PA zip had it locally for $3, and one currently in stock for $10. https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker/?sku=479479168

It doesn't save the zip you had in there so it just uses our zip. In this case I last had 19090 in there and it showed for both of your links. What zips did you intend us to search?

Thanks

When I use brickseek with that zip code you mentioned, those links now just show 18.97 .
You mentioned above somewhere that when you bought yours, the inventory was updated quickly so maybe it just got all purchased.

I did use brickseek for some errands I needed to run this morning. Last night it showed in stock but "Limited Stock"
This morning it wasn't there. Bad timing? Slow to update inventory? someone grabbed it and hid it? Who knows. Thank you though.

In fact, brickseek shows the same walmart I was in this morning as having 6+ in stock at 18.97. This morning they had no high mileage quaker state on the shelves at all. barely any quaker state at all. Strange

-A

CharlesInCharge

Thanks

When I use brickseek with that zip code you mentioned, those links now just show 18.97 .
You mentioned above somewhere that when you bought yours, the inventory was updated quickly so maybe it just got all purchased.

I did use brickseek for some errands I needed to run this morning. Last night it showed in stock but "Limited Stock"
This morning it wasn't there. Bad timing? Slow to update inventory? someone grabbed it and hid it? Who knows. Thank you though.

In fact, brickseek shows the same walmart I was in this morning as having 6+ in stock at 18.97. This morning they had no high mileage quaker state on the shelves at all. barely any quaker state at all. Strange

-A

I don't recall which zip codes I used but Brickseek generally shows you a list of all local stores and the prices. They will generally report "sold out" and the last price. In the examples I gave above, that's how it was reflected.

It's a great tool, and I'd say accurate 9 out of 10 times. In instances where something is a low clearance price showing inventory, but you cannot find it at the store, it's either in someone elses' cart awaiting purchase, or someone (probably an employee) has poached it and hidden it for someone else or for himself after work. I caught an employee doing exactly this move on some of the QSHM a while back. The system reported 6 on hand. I found 3 on the shelf. An employee leaving in civilian clothes had the other 3 jugs.

In my experience brickseek is closer to 50% accuracy which I don't know is their fault, walmart inventory slow to populate or as CIC has suggested just employee cover ups which looking at the average WM employees I see milling around seems hard to believe....

Otherwise here we go onto page 4 of the bragging thread with absolutely zero new information which is why I have suggested again that there needs to be a dedicated sub just for this..

CharlesInCharge

In my experience brickseek is closer to 50% accuracy which I don't know is their fault, walmart inventory slow to populate or as CIC has suggested just employee cover ups which looking at the average WM employees I see milling around seems hard to believe....

Otherwise here we go onto page 4 of the bragging thread with absolutely zero new information which is why I have suggested again that there needs to be a dedicated sub just for this..

Its' no more bragging, than folks who list/talk about their $100,000 supercars on the forum. Or lavish houses, or other extravagants. I'm not in a position to buy a $150,000 vehicle. Should I view it with contempt when someone else posts that they can buy a supercar??

What you view as "bragging" is to the contrary, actually very helpful. Photos are for the doubters "No you didn't."

I learned about these deals on this forum. I learned about Brickseek on this forum. There are a few folks here like @OilMagnate and @GON and @That John dude who were/are instrumental to helping people like me find incredible oil deals which ultimately help me maintain several vehicles and save money doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.