The great oil harvest of 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that’s all anybody wants, we really don’t need another forum for bragging rights about sales you’ve hit and scored. There is an existing Photo Section and General and Off Topic area.

Or Facebook and Instagram for that matter.

If that’s all anybody wants, we really don’t need another forum for bragging rights about sales you’ve hit and scored. There is an existing Photo Section and General and Off Topic area.

Or Facebook and Instagram for that matter.
There are a lot of these types of posts in this section. I think a dedicated thread here is a good idea. Keep them all in the same spot for those that are interested.

I have to be honest - - I do not believe there needs to be a "gloating" sub-forum/sub-category.

Please, let's keep it to: "how & where to find the good deals"

Got very little from Wal Mart. Most of mine came from Rural King, AAP, and Autozone
AAP & AZ are the kings of overpriced oil-until clearance day comes… Then they GIVE it away!
This struck me rather heavily as odd. I thought about it for several minutes and realized something...I've only bought one "clearance" deal from AutoZone. It was back in my very early days when I thought $2 per quart was a steal and bought two jugs of STP FS HM 10W-30. If I bought anything else from AutoZone, I absolutely can't remember. It's not that I'm picky or biased, they just never have any good deals (and if they do, they're taken by the employees before the tags ever hit the shelf).

10 quarts out of literally thousands. Pretty wild.

This struck me rather heavily as odd. I thought about it for several minutes and realized something...I've only bought one "clearance" deal from AutoZone. It was back in my very early days when I thought $2 per quart was a steal and bought two jugs of STP FS HM 10W-30. If I bought anything else from AutoZone, I absolutely can't remember. It's not that I'm picky or biased, they just never have any good deals (and if they do, they're taken by the employees before the tags ever hit the shelf).

10 quarts out of literally thousands. Pretty wild.
Very first deal I ever found was Delo 400 SAE 30 gallons on closeout at AZ-i bought at least 40 gallons of it, ranging in price from 99 cents to 5 cents/gallon. Took YEARS to use it all! I'm still loaded down with M1 TDT 5W40 & Magnatec 5W20, also from AZ, all $1/quart (or less depending on rebates & AZ Rewards). AZ doesn't generally have deals like that anymore, the RGT blowout of Dec. '19 was the last good one.

GON

$50 Site Donor
Very first deal I ever found was Delo 400 SAE 30 gallons on closeout at AZ-i bought at least 40 gallons of it, ranging in price from 99 cents to 5 cents/gallon. Took YEARS to use it all! I'm still loaded down with M1 TDT 5W40 & Magnatec 5W20, also from AZ, all $1/quart (or less depending on rebates & AZ Rewards). AZ doesn't generally have deals like that anymore, the RGT blowout of Dec. '19 was the last good one.
Also during the RGT blowout, AZ had Pentosin 5-30 and 5-40 Euro at $2 a liter, and M1 annual at $2 a quart. Times were good.....

CharlesInCharge

Hit 3 more Walmarts in the last few days, and more of this stuff keeps showing up on the shelves or auto department counters. Stuff is hiding around the store it seems, and then slowly returned to the auto dept and a little treasure hunting finds them. Brickseek is often wrong on inventory or pricing by the way.

I found 5 more $6 each QSHM 5w30 and 0w20 at one store, 3 more $6 each 5w30 at 2nd store, and a $15, 12-qt M1 5w20 HM at store 3. :) Times are good, but I still do not understand the economics behind the clearances. These stores oil shelves are bare. On average, 1/2 of the spaces are totally empty, and the remaining that are faced with product, have nothing or very little oil behind them. I'd say the entire available space on shelves at each WM are 80% empty of oil. Really, really picked over.

I thought WM was clearing out the SN for SP, but the clearance oil I've seen has been SP-I have no idea what their game plan is. WM seems to be disorganized & chaotic in general anyway!

Hit 3 more Walmarts in the last few days, and more of this stuff keeps showing up on the shelves or auto department counters. Stuff is hiding around the store it seems, and then slowly returned to the auto dept and a little treasure hunting finds them. Brickseek is often wrong on inventory or pricing by the way.

I found 5 more $6 each QSHM 5w30 and 0w20 at one store, 3 more $6 each 5w30 at 2nd store, and a $15, 12-qt M1 5w20 HM at store 3. :) Times are good, but I still do not understand the economics behind the clearances. These stores oil shelves are bare. On average, 1/2 of the spaces are totally empty, and the remaining that are faced with product, have nothing or very little oil behind them. I'd say the entire available space on shelves at each WM are 80% empty of oil. Really, really picked over.
Where in PA are you located?

CharlesInCharge

Figured I would show part of my stash... this is almost half of it, about 400 quarts. The rest are spread around on various vehicle specific shelving. This is some of the "extras." I find it useful to use a marker to write the date/year on jugs so as to make it easier to rotate stock. But the Carquest, well that was all free in the great oil harvest of 2021 locked in memory, and no longer made, so easy to remember when it was procured!

More than twice this is scattered around in the garage. I really need to organize!

Attachments

• Resized_20210801_205858.jpeg
    Resized_20210801_205858.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 68
Status
Not open for further replies.