The great oil harvest of 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.
New guy here. I guess I'm an oil enthusiast. :) I think I'll fit in with many of you ICE vehicle enthusiasts too. The last year has been quite bizarre, particularly with negative oil prices and literally FREE oil. I understand the brief dip into negative territories, somewhat, as complex financial futures contracts and storage space. But it is still a bizarre occurrence. Between deep discounts at Napa & Autozone, now Advanced Auto switching literally just the label on their oil products from Carquest to Fram, giving away huge stocks of oil, and Walmart clearances, and big rebates by Castrol and Mobil1, etc. I service a small trucking and Lift service so have many vehicles that demand a lot of oil changes.

I've followed this forum for deals and owe gratitude to the members that post deals here. I've amassed a huge oil and fluid inventory in the past year, and my average cost per qt is probably about $1 for synthetic or blends. The dichotomy is fascinating. We have shortages, or at least apparent shortages, yet companies have deep discounts, clearances, or literally free oil. Walmart prices are so much lower than the local auto parts stores that they seem to have relatively full shelves but WM is really low on inventory. It's weird to go into Walmart and see oil shelves 1/2 full, and then find Quaker State clearanced out at between $6 and $10. BTW, they claim they won't price match but if you ask enough people they will... This month I've bought all of it in the local Walmarts, mostly at $6 per jug and some at $9. Hundreds of quarts. It's also bizarre to see the excellent Chevron Supreme at only $8 shipped, so I've bought at least 20 jugs of that excellent oil. I've also bought probably 100 qts of the M1 High Mileage box oils at about $1 per qt. In the middle of 2020, I scored hundreds of qts for about $1 per qt, around the time oil went negative and impacted retail prices briefly. My best haul was cleaning out all the Advanced Auto Parts stores, where I was literally GIVEN over 300 qts of various oils and transmission fluids and grease tubes.

Thanks for having me!

And this post would be better suited for the Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions section. You can ask a moderator to move it.

CharlesInCharge

And this post would be better suited for the Product Rebates, Sales and Promotions section. You can ask a moderator to move it.

The intent of this was an introduction, not a advertisement. These promotions are all already well advertised in many redundant threads in the PRSP section so it would simply needlessly clutter that thread. If offended you, please accept my sincere apology.

The intent of this was an introduction, not a advertisement. These promotions are all already well advertised in many redundant threads in the PRSP section so it would simply needlessly clutter that thread. If offended you, please accept my sincere apology.
Nvm

If my suggestion for that forum was incorrect or if it was rude then let me know and I'll ask for it to be deleted.

Respectfully, Yes on both counts.

OP was not promoting a specific sale, merely pointing out where he got it and some of the deals he's seen this past year. And your very first comment didn't address the post, only criticized him for putting it in what you thought was the "proper place"

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
A meritorious suggestion. There are enough “haul/stash” posts that a single point to collect them, without cluttering up the sales/rebates, would be nice.

The challenge is the readability of the forum. More sub forums makes the site even harder to browse, particularly on mobile devices, which make up the majority of site traffic.

So, I thought this thread should be moved, since it was derived from sales ans rebates.

For sake of discussion, where should we put the “haul/stash” threads? My thought is this: if it’s a current sale, it goes here. If it’s a stash post, perhaps general/off topic?

CharlesInCharge

A meritorious suggestion. There are enough “haul/stash” posts that a single point to collect them, without cluttering up the sales/rebates, would be nice.

The challenge is the readability of the forum. More sub forums makes the site even harder to browse, particularly on mobile devices, which make up the majority of site traffic.

So, I thought this thread should be moved, since it was derived from sales ans rebates.

For sake of discussion, where should we put the “haul/stash” threads? My thought is this: if it’s a current sale, it goes here. If it’s a stash post, perhaps general/off topic?

I specifically did NOT put it in the promotions/sales thread so as to avoid cluttering that thread. As I mentioned, this was more of an introduction thread and to discuss oil collecting interest, than anything. Oh well. I tried.

Last edited:

I was proposing something like inside of this sub catagory we just have an ongoing thread which is titled something like "2021 Hauls" inside of which anyone can post their specific purchases, or photos of such, their storage locker or whatever all of which is lets face it somewhat just braggins as opposed to posting info on a specific sale, price etc.... Clearly there is a want/need for that, and I'm sure some people will feel like this is uneeded but seems better than just having all these random ones which myself and others get frustrated after reading through and realizing there isn't any actual info to be gathered here....
I guess it would require mods to monitor that the actual postings are ok and perhaps delete people (myself included) from stupid replying out of frustration

New guy here. I guess I'm an oil enthusiast. :) I think I'll fit in with many of you ICE vehicle enthusiasts too. The last year has been quite bizarre, particularly with negative oil prices and literally FREE oil. I understand the brief dip into negative territories, somewhat, as complex financial futures contracts and storage space. But it is still a bizarre occurrence. Between deep discounts at Napa & Autozone, now Advanced Auto switching literally just the label on their oil products from Carquest to Fram, giving away huge stocks of oil, and Walmart clearances, and big rebates by Castrol and Mobil1, etc. I service a small trucking and Lift service so have many vehicles that demand a lot of oil changes.

I've followed this forum for deals and owe gratitude to the members that post deals here. I've amassed a huge oil and fluid inventory in the past year, and my average cost per qt is probably about $1 for synthetic or blends. The dichotomy is fascinating. We have shortages, or at least apparent shortages, yet companies have deep discounts, clearances, or literally free oil. Walmart prices are so much lower than the local auto parts stores that they seem to have relatively full shelves but WM is really low on inventory. It's weird to go into Walmart and see oil shelves 1/2 full, and then find Quaker State clearanced out at between $6 and $10. BTW, they claim they won't price match but if you ask enough people they will... This month I've bought all of it in the local Walmarts, mostly at $6 per jug and some at $9. Hundreds of quarts. It's also bizarre to see the excellent Chevron Supreme at only $8 shipped, so I've bought at least 20 jugs of that excellent oil. I've also bought probably 100 qts of the M1 High Mileage box oils at about $1 per qt. In the middle of 2020, I scored hundreds of qts for about $1 per qt, around the time oil went negative and impacted retail prices briefly. My best haul was cleaning out all the Advanced Auto Parts stores, where I was literally GIVEN over 300 qts of various oils and transmission fluids and grease tubes.

Thanks for having me!
Welcome sir. I hit my rural king this morning. Scored 5 1 gallon jugs of Harvest along 5w40 CJ4 5w40 HDEO. $5/ per gallon 😳😳😳

3 single quarts of Valvoline “white bottle” 5w20 for $1.77 each also.

Status
Not open for further replies.