The great Impala burial grounds

A '63, and three '64s. They're likely Biscaynes and/or Bel Airs, rather than Impalas - in the fading late-afternoon light, my old eyes could not count taillights.

They've been there for years and years. I love this generation of full-size Chev, and would love to see them go to a good home.

20201104_165801.jpg
20201104_165842.jpg

I learned to drive in a 63' Biscayne. Steering wheel was as big as a manhole cover.
My first car was a battered and rusty '63 Biscayne wagon, about as basic as you could get - 3-speed manual column shift without synchro, inline-6, crank windows, and no AC, PS, or PB. It did have an AM radio though. Yep, big steering wheel - many turns lock-to-lock.
Do you own these or know the owner? Sad to see such beautiful cars go to waste.
Not mine, but when we visit relatives in the country we drive past these. I thought it was finally time to take some photos.
I’d love to have one. That would be a cool episode for Roadkill to do too go up there find the owner and rescue them.
Agreed, I'd love to see them rescued.

another chevy impala heaven is saudi arabia. i was there 1996-8. impalas were everywhere, including some left on the side of the road having been been in incredible wrecks. cheap gas, wide open highways, crazy drivers...what better place for classic detroit iron?

We had one of these when I was a little boy, a 63 my dad bought on the cheap. Ugly brown color. He never really cared for it not sure why. Maybe it was the yellow streak down the side that had been inflicted by a school bus early in his ownership (hit and run while parked in Detroit I believe) that he never could afford to fix.

Cool cars I always thought.

Wasn't the 63' and 64' Impala convertible popular in rap/hip hop music videos?
And as lowriders. Lowrider Magazine seemed always to have one of these in every issue. I saw more than a few dolled-up Impalas when I visited Albuquerque, and on Federal Avenue (Saturday night was "cruising night") in Denver when I lived there in '97-'01.

My best buddy in high school had a 4-door '63 or '64 -- I don't recall if it was an Impala or one of the lower-level models. The car was 7-8 years old even then. And that was a long life for a 1960s car.

another chevy impala heaven is saudi arabia. i was there 1996-8. impalas were everywhere, including some left on the side of the road having been been in incredible wrecks. cheap gas, wide open highways, crazy drivers...what better place for classic detroit iron?
Read an article in the paper some years ago about the popularity of full-size Chevys in the middle-east. Apparently Kuwait was gaga over the '90 - '96 Impalas and Caprices. These were the last of the RWDs. There were exporters in the States making good money buying them up and reselling them there.

Just for fun, here's the Google Maps reference to the burial grounds:

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.5963078,-97.0180629,86m/data=!3m1!1e3

And as lowriders. Lowrider Magazine seemed always to have one of these in every issue. I saw more than a few dolled-up Impalas when I visited Albuquerque, and on Federal Avenue (Saturday night was "cruising night") in Denver when I lived there in '97-'01.

My best buddy in high school had a 4-door '63 or '64 -- I don't recall if it was an Impala or one of the lower-level models. The car was 7-8 years old even then. And that was a long life for a 1960s car.
In '75, our grad class was raising money by doing various jobs, including putting on a car wash. This was in '75. I was washing a '67 Impala and noticed that there were 99K miles on the clock, which was a big deal. I asked the owner about it, and he said it still ran pretty well most days. I was impressed.

I learned to drive in a 63' Biscayne. Steering wheel was as big as a manhole cover.
When I turned 16 I learned in my parents' 1959 Bel Air four-door hardtop, dark blue roof over sky blue, six-cylinder, two-speed auto with power nothing and a vacuum-tube AM radio, passing the written and driving tests first time. Parallel parking that beast the first time (three chances in the test) even surprsed me.

Last edited:
When I turned 16 I learned in my parents' 1959 Bel Air four-door hardtop, dark blue roof over sky blue, six-cylinder, two-speed auto with power nothing and a vacuum-tube AM radio, passing the written and driving tests first time. Parallel parking that beast the first time (three chances in the test) even surprsed me.
Well done!

I had the benefit of power steering in Dad's '67 Newport. One rear turn signal was out, and I had to hand signal. Dad had little to no confidence in my driving ability, and seemed very surprised when I passed the road test first time.

I have the same sort of thing going on with old Jeeps in my yard. It's a very long story, but they're just going to keep sitting for now. Occasionally somebody stops and ask to buy one or all...

Do you own these or know the owner? Sad to see such beautiful cars go to waste.
I would guess the owner thinks they are worth $10K each because he saw a restored convertible version sell for $30,000 at auction. Offer the $1-2K they are worth, and he says he will restore them one day. This situation is repeated all over the country. Eventually either the cars are consumed by the earth or the owner dies and the relatives then scrap the cars.

Back