The "Future Custom" is here, and its called Sportster S

one Hardley was enough for me!!! overpriced + underperforming + any new tech WILL have issues + Hardley says "they all do that" to avoid a warranty claim. lots of better bikes for less $$$$ + the only plus is dealers everywhere you go ready to fix issues that should NOT be!!

I'm not too sure how I feel about this one honestly.

First off, its pretty expensive for a Sportster.

Secondly, it seems to lose a lot of the versatility, appears to be no option for significant luggage or windshield. (so could not be outfitted like 1200T was)

I recognize there may be other models announced, but I feel like this one is missing the mark. It should be fast. I suppose that it does evoke a certain flat tracker vibe, but i don't care for the exhaust, its just too chunky...

Unfortunately, most M/C exhaust systems are chunky, due the emissions regs they must meet.

I'm contemplating taking the stock exhaust off the newest bike, as it is a ridiculously heavy boat anchor. On the other hand, being quiet makes it stealthy. :sneaky:

one Hardley was enough for me!!! overpriced + underperforming + any new tech WILL have issues + Hardley says "they all do that" to avoid a warranty claim. lots of better bikes for less $$$$ + the only plus is dealers everywhere you go ready to fix issues that should NOT be!!

Although I do have a Harley in my herd, I'm not a true blue Harley guy. I think that Harleys have their place and I like to ride them.

Calling the new Sportster a hardley is telling. You have previous biases that won't let you acknowledge that it may not be a bad bike.

Harley is trying to get the younger market to buy. The smaller urban street bikes, now this new Sportster aren't meant for the traditional buyers. Market expansion, newer generations with newer style introductory bikes. Marketing sense.
Not my style, but it isn't being marketed to me. Why get all upset?
Harley decides what Harley is. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I don't think anyone is mad... theres the one that never misses a chance but... its expected.

So the front tire is supposed to be a new profile triangular pattern (Michelin TX15 anyone) to counter the sluggishness accompanied with such a large front tire. Many of the reviews say it is quite good but still shows its heft in side to side transitions.

Bit of angst over the mid controls not being a N/C factory option...

Fast

Be interesting to see what other versions come out... and when. This was announced as a 2021 so there room for something to join it as a 2022.

Here are a couple more reviews:

Someone at the MoCo should study the Triumph Scrambler Exhaust.

scarmbler-1200-mcqueen-family-promo-955x537.jpg

Harley is trying to get the younger market to buy. The smaller urban street bikes, now this new Sportster aren't meant for the traditional buyers. Market expansion, newer generations with newer style introductory bikes. Marketing sense.
For the sake of the discussion, let's assume they got the styling right for the younger market.
That being said, how could they get the price so wrong? Even the 20-30somethings that are doing well financially right now don't want to drop $15k on a bike.

Put that engine in a standard bike that has a respectably taller seat height for an average person, a real fuel capacity and more than 2 inches of rear suspension travel, let alone an almost as idiotic 3.6 inches up front and get rid of the riding position that's good for 30 minutes at a time and I'll buy one. And no, I don't want it in an adventure bike. I want a regular standard street motorcycle.

Last edited:
Yes. ^^ It’s for a niche market. Let’s not forget it’s a Sportster….a Sportster! Heading in the right direction but not there yet.

Last edited:
Put that engine in a standard bike that has a respectably taller seat height for an average person, a real fuel capacity and more than 2 inches of rear suspension travel, let alone an almost as idiotic 3.6 inches up front and get rid of the riding position that's good for 30 minutes at a time and I'll buy one. And no, I don't want it in an adventure bike. I want a regular standard street motorcycle.
You mean kinda like the FTR..

I like it a lot, I wont own one, but if I had unlimited spending power I might have a second or 3rd bike in the garage for a run around town and short tripping interstate. Other then that my cruiser is much more for my riding style.

I think for their target buyer its a really cool looking bike. I can see the appeal. As far as price, goes with the brand, BMW isnt much different. In fact I think the exhaust looks better then on the similar R1250RS

The price is almost in the same league as a high end jetski not sure if HD target has that money or not.

The one thing Harley can do for you, or anyone who's last name doesn't end in Trump, is to offer 7 year financing. That doesn't make it any cheaper, but the payments should fit your budget. Harley have always been a bit higher then most other brands, but over the years the other brands have caught up. Back in 1976 a Harley Electra Glide was $5500, while a Goldwing of the same year was $2500. Nowadays they're running neck and neck price wise. I guess it just boils down to how bad you want it, and how much are the payments.,,,

Back