The freezer test..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put some samples of oil in my freezer, -33C, 48 hours. Tested oils are M1 0W-40, Castrol SLX Longtec 0W-30, GM Opel Full Synth 5W-30, Total/Fina First Synth 5W-40, Statoil LW Full synth 5W-40, Shell 5W-40 full synthetic, Shell 10W-40 blend, Shell 30wt dino.

Pour test ranking (best first):
1 - M1
2 - Total/Fina synth, Shell synth and Castrol, couldn't tell any difference
3 - Statoil
4 - GM Opel
5 - Shell blend (like syrup).
6 - Shell dino 30wt (not fluid at all)

1-4 was pouring very well, 5 poured like syrup and 6 wasn't fluid at all.

Cool test!
cool.gif

Cool. Glad to have had a positive influence on someone, especially someone across the Atlantic! Did you see Rodbuckler's recent plastic cup/oil polarity test thread? That was cool too. I can't remember which forum it's in, but it's one of the big 3 (Car and Truck Lubrication).

Wow, that's one cold freezer. I think that might put the scales back on my fish fillets. I guess the conventional oils aren't the thing to use in that kind of cold.

The coldest I've ever had to start an engine was -32C. This was at Virginia Tech on a rare day so cold that the buses didn't pick us up at the bus stop. I piled seven of us into the front of my '79 Chevy pickup with the 350CID, and cranked her right up. I couldn't believe it started. It most likely had 10W-30 Castrol GTX in the crankcase, and it idled fine at about 200RPM with that lame cam. We drove off to campus, but nobody showed up to class.

My brother took the same truck some years later and drove it with no coolant until the pistons siezed in the bores. I took him back to the truck, poured coolant into it and he drove off like nothing happened. Probably Castrol GTX again.

Cool. Next time I will do this a little more "scientific" and document everything with photos..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back