The Food Won't Stop

In my family, food explodes like a nuclear weapon...without warning. All year long. I can no longer plan a meal...buy the ingredients and actually cook and eat it until days, maybe weeks later. As soon as I try, I am gifted by more food (often homemade soups-casseroles-pies-cakes) that really needs to me eaten sooner not later. Even if I ask for a SMALL amount of something that I know is available, I will be given twice as much as I can use. Today it was turkey soup. Yesterday it was ham steaks. A few days ago it was ham AND coffee cake. I made the mistake of buying a cheesecake and rec’d 4 pieces of pumpkin pie.

Sigh...I’m already overweight and they know it. I give gas cards as gifts...at least I know they will burn it.

My family is the opposite
My mom hasn’t cooked a meal for family (or me) since I was 16.
She has occasionally made a sandwich or salad or baked goods for church functions.

It would be nice if once she made something but generally I have to do all the cooking, including if I visit her.

She doesn’t like the mess from cooking but eats anything I make.

I guess if I’m overweight I only have myself to blame.

My family is middle of the road.....holidays are full of food- but not too much the rest of the year.

Lots of pizza lately.....

I can completely understand how people can get sucked into a life of fast & packaged foods. Very few things that I cook are worth the mess that has to be cleaned up afterward. I wanted a gas stove for years, and now that I have it (black glass top), I hate using it because it looks terrible if I don't clean it afterward. The toaster oven gets used a lot.

Tell your family to stop...giving...you...food (at least stop with the volume)

//

My wife is an excellent cook and loves variety. Even with a stocked chest freezer she'll have cravings for something or another and buy ingredients for that. She says I deserve to have variety from day to day, but that's a crock of crap. I could eat a bowl of chili, soup, stew, etc., every single day for a whole week and not get tired of it. Well, her chili, soups and stews, that is.

I have to limit myself to one (large) helping of whatever she cooks; otherwise, I'd be more overweight than I am now. Luckily, she loves soups as much as I do, so she's keen on making giant pots of Pho, sup mang cua (crab soup with real lumped crab meat (claw), real ramen, etc. She just made the crab soup two days ago and we've still got half a pot left. mmmmmm

We never get gifted food lol. We rarely eat at home either because my mom complains if you dirty up more than a pan or two or a bowl or two or something. And when we do cook it’s either a holiday or spaghetti which I don’t like spaghetti so I never eat it.

Back