The enhanced oxidative stability of mPAO base stocks tech video

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Driven DI30 passes as a 5w-30.

Maybe, but since it is not an SAE grade and they label it as "Viscosity typical of 5W-30" it may or may not (corrected their spelling error too).

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Driven DI30 passes as a 5w-30.

Maybe, but since it is not an SAE grade and they label it as "Viscosity typical of 5W-30" it may or may not (corrected their spelling error too).

Both the Driven Racing and HP Synthetic oils use "xW-y" without "SAE." A SAE J300 compliant oil labels the viscosity as "SAE xW-y." Therefore, we don't really know.

Here is an example from PQIA labeled as "5-30" instead of "SAE 5W-30," not to say Driven and HP are like this.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/USEconomy.htm

We always keep forgetting that Chevron Phillips is also a major PAO/mPAO manufacturer, making fourteen different PAO, high-VI PAO, and mPAO base stocks. I've found an example by Chevron Phillips on the comparison between PAO blends and PAO - mPAO blends. Actually for a given KV100 target, an mPAO - PAO blend has a better CCS and a better MRV than a PAO blend has.

https://www.stle.org/images/pdf/STL...fluid%20PAO%20Opportunistic%20Blends.pdf

In the Chevron Phillips example, they are seeing a 15-point increase in the viscosity index (VI) for an 8 cSt blend with a 7 cSt PAO and a 150 cSt mPAO over an 8 cSt PAO blend. It's impressive, and the amount of mPAO would be about 4%. If you used a 65 cSt mPAO, the amount of mPAO would be about 6%. For an 8 cSt blend with a 4 cSt PAO and a 65 cSt mPAO, the amount of mPAO would be about 25% -- not sure if it still would not exceed the maximum CCS for a 5W.

For the record we own and use all the lab instruments required for SAE J300 to produce our product data sheets for our motor oils. We measure the data we provide and do not calculate any of the data we publish. Publishing truthful data is very important to High Performance Lubricants.

David

Originally Posted by Gokhan
HP Synthetic oils use "xW-y" without "SAE." A SAE J300 compliant oil labels the viscosity as "SAE xW-y." Therefore, we don't really know.

Originally Posted by High Performance Lubricants
For the record we own and use all the lab instruments required for SAE J300 to produce our product data sheets for our motor oils. We measure the data we provide and do not calculate any of the data we publish. Publishing truthful data is very important to High Performance Lubricants.

David

Thank you. It may be worthwhile to label them in the correct format as "SAE xW-y" instead of "xW-y."

David

Originally Posted by Gokhan
HP Synthetic oils use "xW-y" without "SAE." A SAE J300 compliant oil labels the viscosity as "SAE xW-y." Therefore, we don't really know.

Thanks for getting in here, and your products are appreciated !
Are you touting the presence of VII's in your thin oils ?
Other boutique oils tout its absence.
I need a very thin oil that does not get too "cute."
TY.

It is hard to answer your question directly since we make quite a few different thin oils. The answer also depends significantly depending on the viscosity of the oil. I will tell you that we tend to formulate more for the application and make material choices accordingly. We do use OCP, Methacrylates, and Metallocene PAO. Engines are very rarely rough on VI improvers. Motorcycles where the transmission and engine oil is shared are. mPAO's are very good. They are also very shear stable. We do have a KRL in our lab and routinely use it to look at shear stability. This is of course only 1 part of the whole picture and with any motor oil we will run the whole battery of tests in the lab to be sure that we verify the requirements of SAE J300.

Generally speaking light oils (this needs to be defined since we make some extremely light oils) will use very little if any VI improver. Again based on the application will dictate which one I choose.

We do not cut corners on raw materials. In fact our lowest quality VI improver in our plant is a 24SSI material that is solubilized in a synthetic base stock.

If you have something specific you would like addressed I'd be happy to do so but for now at least you have some general information relevant to your question.

TY.

It is hard to answer your question directly since we make quite a few different thin oils. The answer also depends significantly depending on the viscosity of the oil. I will tell you that we tend to formulate more for the application and make material choices accordingly. We do use OCP, Methacrylates, and Metallocene PAO. Engines are very rarely rough on VI improvers. Motorcycles where the transmission and engine oil is shared are. mPAO's are very good. They are also very shear stable. We do have a KRL in our lab and routinely use it to look at shear stability. This is of course only 1 part of the whole picture and with any motor oil we will run the whole battery of tests in the lab to be sure that we verify the requirements of SAE J300.

Generally speaking light oils (this needs to be defined since we make some extremely light oils) will use very little if any VI improver. Again based on the application will dictate which one I choose.

We do not cut corners on raw materials. In fact our lowest quality VI improver in our plant is a 24SSI material that is solubilized in a synthetic base stock.

If you have something specific you would like addressed I'd be happy to do so but for now at least you have some general information relevant to your question.

TY.

Per my Signature, the vehicle in question is a 2019 Lexus UX 250h F-Sport, already at 50k miles.
It is spec'd for 0W16.

As a delivery driver-medical courier-subcontractor, the issues here are always MPG + durability. Valve seat wear, valve stem seal integrity, and piston ring coking at the high miles I quickly accrue are all on the front burner.

I am very impressed with Toyota's D-4S system. I examine and smell my dipstick often. There is no soot or fuel dilution here, gang. For me, warranty is no longer an issue.

I am also now very impressed with HPL products. To cut to the chase, I will now, based in large part upon your providing reassuring detail, seriously consider HPL 0W20 as my High Mileage oil, and decision time will be soon.
smile.gif

My question is, why are all of your PDSs and MSDSs hidden behind a user name/login when all major manufacturers and even boutique manufacturers (Amsoil, Redline, etc) provide them on their regular website? It seems to me if someone is interested in using a boutique, expensive oil they are going to look at the data first, and if it's not easily accessible those people are going to move onto another manufacturer. Break the veil of secrecy!
thumbsup2.gif

Back