The economics of synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
[/qb]

Thinking about what Terry said, it looks as though Mobil may indeed be relying on high-tech esters (with a little moly) for wear protection, whereas Amsoil is still taking the "old fashioned" route by just loading the oil up with zinc and phosphorous. [/QB][/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------
MolaKule has posted for months now about the advanced Esters and the dual roles they play in the SS formulation. He has posted some really good info on this oil. For Mobil to produce this line of oils that meet these tough Euro Specs along with being a API Certified product for use under warranty and keep the cost where it is to the consumers is truely remarkable IMO and and goes full circle back to the topic. If they make ALL the base oils and ALL the add packs it will and does cut the cost down.Could they give us a better oil? Yeah but I think the Automakers should first make some better motors to use it in
tongue.gif

Amsoil just for example must have their base oils and add packs shipped to them and that alone must to an extent margin the price up and you know Mobil is making money selling them the base oil,Lubrizol is making a profit on the add packs. I would assume it is the same deal for Redline and others.
Before I forget,I do not think price reflects the performance of an oil under all circumstances.I would sure like to open some eyes with two dinos in particular,one a group II ,the other a group II with a little over 3 buck a quart price difference,I cannot do a back to back test because of Oklahomas weather

Sure there are other fine oils,,like cars there is a butt for every seat
smile.gif
Some are better than others for a intended purpose though.

[ February 11, 2003, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Mike wrote:
If you purhcase Mobil 1 at most places other than Walmart etc, you pay a lot more. The quick-lube place charges 49.95 for a Mobil 1 oil change, teh auto parts store here sells it for $7.45 qt. If it was not for Walmart, you would be paying a lot more for the products. There are a lot of middle men that need to make a profit.

Some 20 years back, I had a discussion with a Mobil rep. He had recently come to the headquarters near here, and couldn't understand why synthetics hadn't really taken off. Among other things, I pointed out to him that the Mobil stations didn't push, or in many cases even offer, Mobil 1. When he asked why that was, I told him that the discount stores sold Mobil 1 for less than the Mobil station owner paid for it.
He was very surprised.

Even now, some of the local shops are being charged about $4.40 or so for a quart of Mobil 1, buying in some quantity. Of course, Mobil has been known to drop the price considerably, at least for a little while, if the shop makes noises about switching brands.

Well there is some kinda forum glitch going on,the second dino oil was meant to be a group III oil not two group II's and could not be edited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back