The economics of going with a K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle is a 2013 Hyundai Tucson with the 2.4l

I live in a very dusty and windy environment, El Paso, commute lately has increased anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hour drive.

The paper filter in there now is going to be changed within a day or two. I got less than 4,000 miles out of it.

Now my question is regarding the economics of going with a K&N. Going at my rate, is it better for me to go with a K&N?

Here are some pre-tax/shipping prices:

K&N $50
local paper filter $14
online paper filter $7

With the longer commute, if I got a little bit more efficiency out of the K&N, would it be worth it? I already have a cleaning kit for the filter I had for my Corvette so that has a couple of washes left in it.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

Don't even bother with K&N. Install an air filter restriction gauge, such as a Filter Minder, and change filters only when necessary. I am partial to AC Delco Professional air filters.

I'd skip the K&N air filter, just have a look at UOAs where they were used. They don't filter air as well and allow more dirt into the engine than a stock filter. The UOAs seem to back that up.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: Edmond
I got less than 4,000 miles out of it.

How was condemnation determined?

This. Unless it was with a restriction gauge it is probably wrong.

Skip the K&N. You need the filtration capability a good "paper" filter will provide.

Totally agree with the suggestion of a restriction gauge. Less than 4k on an air filter sounds crazy!

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
Skip the K&N. You need the filtration capability a good "paper" filter will provide.

Totally agree with the suggestion of a restriction gauge. Less than 4k on an air filter sounds crazy!

Not crazy for El Paso, TX .

Originally Posted By: Neely97

And this is driving out to training sites in Alamogordo and McGregor to ranges where there's nothing but dirt and gravel roads.

Could you post of a picture of your old filter? Just curious what it looks like in the conditions you drive.

And this is driving out to training sites in Alamogordo and McGregor to ranges where there's nothing but dirt and gravel roads.

That's fine, but was the determination of a need to change actually based on a restriction gauge or was it simply eyeballed?

If you want the longest lasting and most efficient air filter, you could install a Donaldson PowerCore. There isn't a better filter on the market.

I have 38k miles on my Jeeps air filter and around 300 miles are on the dirt and sand. Get a restriction gauge so you know when to change the air filter.
http://filterminder.com/products/visual-...mmet-mount.html

ROD

A lot of people don;t like K&N.

I;d suggest a lightly oiled (replaceable) air filter, if they're available for your car. Fram Tough Guard or Purolator Pure One

In a high dust environment you need modern filtration supplied by a good quality "paper" style filter. Oil soaked gauze filters are obsolete 1920's filter technology supported by a huge advertising budget to market to the perpetually gullible.

+1 for the restriction gauge. It's the only way to know for sure if and when you need to replace the filter:

LC200KampNFilterMinder2_31MAR_zpsf9475a35.jpg

And the filter should be an OEM-quality paper filter
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back