The Drive: Tesla's $16000 Quote for a $700 Fix Is Why Right to Repair Matters

Laugh about what? I bought this phone earlier this year, https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-e/p?skuId=414 for $120 retail. What's the difference between that and a $1000 Apple phone that's worth a $900 premium? It probably doesn't cost Motorola more than $50 to manufacture that phone, so why would it cost Apple much more then that to make theirs?
But you first compared to a 4 function pocket calculator, then moved the goalpost to compare against a cell phone.

im not able to compare phones but it looks like apple has SE for $399, why not compare against that?

A calculator is an electronic device built with computer chips and manufactured on automated assembly lines. Remarkably similar to phones and how THEY are produced. Sure a phone has more sophisticated displays and functions, but it's still quite similar. My point was that if it costs $5 to make a calculator, it doesn't cost much more to make a phone. $50 seems right. And the difference between the $399 phone and a $1000 one is 90% marketing hype and maybe 10% more features and functions. What's the difference between a $50 Anne Klein bag at Walmart vs. a $1000 Gucci bag at Macy's? They both carry your stuff. Just marketing and perceived prestige.

Automotive journalism has never had particularly high standards, relative to other disciplines, and things only got worse in general when the web "democratized" journalism, and allowed anyone with a pulse to be widely published without any training, standards, or editorial oversight.

What this piece will do is help generate clicks, and ad impressions for the site. IIRC this is the same site that has been linked here before, and had its shenanigans noted.

What it doesn't do is apply critical thinking to the circumstances. This is neither a right-to-repair issue, nor unique or exclusive to Tesla, or BEVs in general.

It's a shadetree repair (for $700?!) that most here could probably do, in response to the classic "they don't sell that part separately" situation one is eventually bound to run into when fixing cars or other stuff. As an alternative solution to an OE-only part whose cost strongly discourages a mindless swap, but yet, is the only prescribed solution that the OEM offers. Hardly a Tesla-only thing.

In this situation, it happens to be a costly battery pack module, but it could also similarly apply to a transmission, body subframe or other major component. On a smaller scale, it could something like one of the litany of heat exchangers that fill every nook and cranny in the front end of a modern forced-induction vehicle. Cracked fitting on a radiator? Yep, you'll also be getting a new oil cooler as well, because they're part of the same module. A broken gear in the electric seat adjuster? "That will be a new motor assembly, sir." BMW owners know that one well.

"Repair" has mostly become a euphemism for parts swapping, because that's how things are mostly designed now, and for some time. And it can suck big time when something expensive breaks, because nobody does minor, component-level repair any longer (especially when it comes to electronics). News at 11. But just like during sweeps, add some spice, and throw "Tesla" into the teaser as well, to get more viewers.

Plus, as noted already, damage from hitting a piece of stationary road debris one could have conceivably avoided would be a claim on a collision policy, not a comprehensive policy. Highly doubtful that the rock, or whatever broke that fitting, leapt into that driver's path, or was ejected from underground.
Were you a journalist? You write very well...

A calculator is an electronic device built with computer chips and manufactured on automated assembly lines. Remarkably similar to phones and how THEY are produced. Sure a phone has more sophisticated displays and functions, but it's still quite similar. My point was that if it costs $5 to make a calculator, it doesn't cost much more to make a phone. $50 seems right.
I think you are missing the vast difference in design from a chip that can do a few functions and a chip that does vastly more. Die area is one cost, the fine lithography is another. R&D is a real bear, so is test cost—the more a chip does, the more testing it needs to ensure it works and does not result in a wasted encapsulated part, or worse, complete assembly. I won’t say it is an exponential curve but it sure can seem like it.

A calculator works at low frequency but a cell phone has high frequency design elements and a host of other IC’s to deal with generating RF and signal modulation and demodulation. Ever take apart a modern cellphone?

The difference is you can call up a Lambo dealer and they'll sell you whatever part you want.

Tesla won't.
Tesla dealers won't sell the parts, or they don't have the parts to sell you ? And don't have a system yet where dealers can stock commonly needed parts or order them from some factory spares inventory and then sell over the counter ?

Big difference between won't and can't. If won't, then people need to pressure Tesla to change their corporate policy.
If can't, then people need to be patient and realize that Tesla hasn't had 100 years to have a parts supply for retail sale system in place and running smoothly.

Laugh about what? I bought this phone earlier this year, https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-e/p?skuId=414 for $120 retail. What's the difference between that and a $1000 Apple phone that's worth a $900 premium? It probably doesn't cost Motorola more than $50 to manufacture that phone, so why would it cost Apple much more then that to make theirs?

That plasticky barebones phone with "old" tech is dirt cheap to manufacture, no surprise. The latest and greatest is more expensive without question.

How was the owner not allowed "the right to repair"? He got it fixed for $700 at a different shop because he didn't like the Tesla dealer's proposed super expensive repair method. If he was a good DIYer, he could have done it himself for even much less than $700 based on the repair method described.
I think the issue was that the Tesla repair included them keeping the old battery pack. Normally the owner of the vehicle is allowed to retain the "broken part".

That plasticky barebones phone with "old" tech is dirt cheap to manufacture, no surprise. The latest and greatest is more expensive without question.
What barebones? It makes phone calls. It texts. It gets on the internet. It takes great pictures. It has beautiful display quality. What more is a $1000 phone going to do but boost your ego when you pull it out of your pocket?

The Drive: Tesla's $16000 Quote for a $700 Fix Is Why Right to Repair Matters.
Every time I think about a Tesla, and try to forgive their practical shortfalls as far as use as an automobile vs a gasoline or
What barebones? It makes phone calls. It texts. It gets on the internet. It takes great pictures. It has beautiful display quality. What more is a $1000 phone going to do but boost your ego when you pull it out of your pocket?
Break faster.

I've never broken a phone, but then, haven't dropped one either. And if it does, so what? It's just $120, not $1000.
That is what I was trying to say... And $100 or so seems to be a sweet spot on what to pay for a phone that lasts. Pay less not more.

Smaller screens are stronger.

Why not. Made in China so how much does the, $1000 retail, phone cost Apple? $50? Build goodwill and you will have them lining up for the next generation when it comes out.
You have no idea how much things costs.

Say the $1000 phone, it cost about $500-600 (typical, margin aren't as high as you would imagine). That $500-600 has about $80-100 worth of screen, $60 worth of flash memory, $40 worth of modem, $50 worth of CPU, $20 worth of RAM, $40 worth of battery, $80 worth of other parts, $120 worth of installation labor.

Your made in China saving is mainly in the $120 worth of installation labor that if you move to US probably becomes $200 (test equipment is still there but human cost is cheaper), so your $1000 phone is $1400. Where is your $50 made in China phone? Even Chinese won't get a $50 made in Vietnam phone because it won't be that cheap.

Let's put it this way without saying anything that is covered by NDA. Apple did a lot of stupid stuff because it is a fashion design that translate into engineering. So it cost a lot of money to cover the fashion designers' inexperience with engineering (i.e. custom size capacity to fit inside a thin case), epoxy glued antenna into aluminum case that sit flush, tiny PCB to maximize battery capacity, using all sorts of tricks to avoid interference between parts because it is so thin it won't fit an EMI shield between parts, etc.

Last edited:
What's the difference between a camper trailer and a tent? Why is a camper trailer worth 20x more than a $100 tent?

What's the difference between a camper trailer and a tent? Why is a camper trailer worth 20x more than a $100 tent?
You're comparing apples to oranges. The trailer has all the amenities of a house. Power, water, stove, fridge, sink, bathroom, TV, heat and a/c in most cases. The tent? That's like the storage shed out back.

You have no idea how much things costs.

Say the $1000 phone, it cost about $500-600 (typical, margin aren't as high as you would imagine).
And you're saying Apple BUYS the phone from some production facility in China. I'm assuming they have their own factory there that produces it. Much different cost structure.

Back