The Drive: Tesla's $16000 Quote for a $700 Fix Is Why Right to Repair Matters

OT: Frankly I'm more interested in the R2R for guys that have a $250K combine and a harvest that needs to be out of the field in the next 4 days.

It is not only about ponying up extra $$ for some "black box"; it is also about getting your things working to accommodate YOUR schedule, not someone elses.

Technology companies are the worst offenders when it comes to deliberately blocking others from repairing their devices. Apple is so notorious for it that recently it's co-founder Steve Wozniak has publicly spoken out against it.

What? Then what about collision? Never heard that before. You hit something in the road and your insurance doesn't cover it?
That’s what I was going to say. What kind of scam insurance company did this guy have?

Technology companies are the worst offenders when it comes to deliberately blocking others from repairing their devices. Apple is so notorious for it that recently it's co-founder Steve Wozniak has publicly spoken out against it.

You can get a third party to repair your Apple device. Apple however will not guarantee the stability and function of the device after such repair.

How was the owner not allowed "the right to repair"? He got it fixed for $700 at a different shop because he didn't like the Tesla dealer's proposed super expensive repair method. If he was a good DIYer, he could have done it himself for even much less than $700 based on the repair method described.

It's all in your wording.

"I hit a retread." - Not covered.

"A truck threw a retread and I couldn't safely avoid it" - Covered.
But if you hit a stationary object, then it should be covered under collision at least.

My aunt had 2 insurance claims on her Beetle. One was when a pickup threw a semi truck tread into the front of it and into the windshield. The other was when she hit a toolbox on the freeway.

You can get a third party to repair your Apple device. Apple however will not guarantee the stability and function of the device after such repair.
I had my iPhone screen repaired once. The difference was about $100 and 2 hours at Apple vs an hour at the independent place. It took Apple 45 minutes just to calibrate the screen after it was replaced. Will never even question that Apple does a better repair.

What? Then what about collision? Never heard that before. You hit something in the road and your insurance doesn't cover it?
Yeah I got stuck on that line too...

I think they added that to spice up the story some and add more doom and gloom. Because chances are, if this guy had comprehensive, he likely had full coverage with collision is my thought.

But generally with most insurance companies AFAIK, comprehensive covers a moving/flying object that you can't avoid (like a deer), and collision would cover something you hit that was laying in the roadway.

Back