The Drive: California Cop Tickets Stock Hyundai Elantra N for Exhaust Noise.

The owner took the car to an official emission / noise testing facility, where it failed on noise. He was expecting to pass the noise test, which would be evidence to have the court dismiss the ticket, but instead it caused the car to be flagged in the system.

is often used as an abuse to get more out of the stop including searches etc.
That is the logic behind the "must write ticket" rule. The police have to have a real reason to pull over a car. There's no such thing as a "routine traffic stop." That phrase appearing in the news is the press helping the police legitimize pretext stops.

The owner took the car to an official emission / noise testing facility, where it failed on noise. He was expecting to pass the noise test, which would be evidence to have the court dismiss the ticket, but instead it caused the car to be flagged in the system.
Because the technician didn't administer the test correctly. It is to be tested in the loudest setting that persists a key cycle which in this case is the normal drive mode where it would pass as would be expected. The lack of common sense throughout the whole story that a new model year stock car wouldn't meet this requirement is breathtaking.

Last edited:
Testing in sport mode was what needed to be done to have proof of his theory that sport mode was not too loud to use on the street.

He didn't realize that by going to an official inspection station, all test results would be reported to the state and there could be consequences of that.

Testing in sport mode was what needed to be done to have proof of his theory that sport mode was not too loud to use on the street.

He didn't realize that by going to an official inspection station, all test results would be reported to the state and there could be consequences of that.
No; the test needed to be administered in accordance with the regs as I stated above and the car would have passed/done with this crap - not in sport mode (really "N" mode is the one).

He'd be lying to the judge to say the car passed a noise test-- but it was in a different mode than the one the cop heard.

That is the logic behind the "must write ticket" rule. The police have to have a real reason to pull over a car. There's no such thing as a "routine traffic stop." That phrase appearing in the news is the press helping the police legitimize pretext stops.
I never heard of a " Must write ticket rule " . My son is a Deputy and he never heard of it either .

He'd be lying to the judge to say the car passed a noise test-- but it was in a different mode than the one the cop heard.
Huh? He got a ticket for the noise, easy, check, that isn't being disputed. His reg is now held up b/c he needs to pass the noise test. He goes in and if the tech had done the test per the regs, it would have passed and his reg would be reinstated. This isn't about the ticket, it's about getting his car's registration back. I'm not following you here w/r to lying? This really boils down (to me) of simplly getting in front of the traffic court judge and explaining it all clearly if he can't get it worked out. At this point with the internet buzz about this I'm quite sure more than one traffic lawyer has offered their services on the house.

I never heard of a " Must write ticket rule " . My son is a Deputy and he never heard of it either .
Louisiana is a whole lot different than California…since the law was cited in the post, I think you’re expressing surprise, not disbelief…

All I can say is it was not a lucky day for the driver of the car. The police officers have bigger fish to fry in my area and wouldn't waste time on such petty offenses however there is always that "one bad apple." There are lots of vehicles with dual mode or multi mode exhaust systems and track settings etc which will make the vehicle much louder.

I feel like there are a few things at play here:

1. The cop is definitely a d-bag just grinning from ear to ear to ruin this guy's day. Police have a hard job, and I have a great respect for them, but giving a guy in a stock car a ticket is not going to fix the root of the problem.

2. They are probably trained for dealing with modified/tuned cars, so the response about taking it back to the dealer is just regurgitated likely from his briefing about tuned cars needing to be put back to stock. I doubt Hyundai has the 1-off ability to delete track mode out of the cars software at dealers.

3. If the car is truly too loud for noise standards (which it seems like it is) there should be a warning that comes up on the dash stating that the selected mode is for off-road use only. I've seen other vehicles that do this when a selected mode opened the exhaust up, but I don't believe the Hyundai has it.

4. Either way, I still think both are in the wrong. Common sense should tell the owner that this is a bit too loud and will attract attention, but suspending the registration of a stock vehicle with factory parts is laughably stupid, and really only targets this one guy instead of the larger problem of loud exhausts.

Back