The Drive: California Cop Tickets Stock Hyundai Elantra N for Exhaust Noise.

Attorneys won’t waste their time on something this menial.
Completely untrue. There are many attorneys that take traffic cases. Best thing to do is go to the website for the court in question and look at recent traffic cases, which typically list the attorney. I have used one in the past.

I guess I assumed that it would be in traffic court
Where else would it go? Its not a criminal case, and the real case is with the inspection not the noise violation. They had to reference a statute for whatever they were blocking the registration for, meaning there is a court somewhere responsible for it.

Bet you if it was a nice Lambo, the cop wouldn't care.

This is just a cop not using common sense. Ticketing an unmodified Sonata?
Apparently you (and others) didn't read some of this thread well enough.
I'll repeat this for you ...
"California Assembly Bill 1824 went into effect in January 2019. This new legislation ... makes it mandatory for police officers to issue immediate tickets to offenders."

The cop was doing his "mandated" job. Yes; he was a bit of a tool. He was rambling about stuff that he had no business talking about. It's his job to enforce the law; not be the judge and jury. The cop should not be fired; he should be counseled about his unsolicited legal advice.

Completely untrue. There are many attorneys that take traffic cases. Best thing to do is go to the website for the court in question and look at recent traffic cases, which typically list the attorney. I have used one in the past.

Where else would it go? Its not a criminal case, and the real case is with the inspection not the noise violation. They had to reference a statute for whatever they were blocking the registration for, meaning there is a court somewhere responsible for it.
What I'm trying to say is, you can't go get an attorney and sue the police for being "wronged" or "treated unfair", etc, and clean out the city for tens of thousands of dollars. You basically just contest the ticket and hope it gets dismissed, or pay the ticket lawyer a couple hundred bucks to dismiss it for you. If it's enough just for small claims, an attorney is unnecessary.

What I'm trying to say is, you can't go get an attorney and sue the police for being "wronged" or "treated unfair", etc, and clean out the city for tens of thousands of dollars. You basically just contest the ticket and hope it gets dismissed, or pay the ticket lawyer a couple hundred bucks to dismiss it for you. If it's enough just for small claims, an attorney is unnecessary.
Well I agree you will never win a case against city hall - but I don't think anyone inferred that. All the article inferred was the guy wants to drive the car that the clown show of a state inspector suspended because they don't know how to do the test. So he needs a judge to rule he needs a new, properly executed, test.

As for the money part - welcome to our (in)justice system.

You apparently didn't read the linked article either.
It clearly states that the vehicle was 98 dB in sport mode and over 100 dB when it popped and cracked. WELL above the allowed levels.
I apparently did read it, multiple times thanks - the allowed levels don't tell me anything vs. hearing it so here's some videos to put this in perspective...it's louder than I thought! I've driven a tuned BMW with overun/burbles...entertaining to let off the gas for sure! My wagon is tough to add it to b/c of the lack of VVT on the exhaust cam...wouldn't want this all the time but the ability to switch it on and have some junvenile car-guy fun would be cool. I'm sure the Kona N will have this and as much I deplor small cute-ute CUVs, I'd send it fully in that Kona.

- the person who didn't do his job properly is the tech who ran the test. He tested in the wrong mode, and then "failed" the car inappropriately. I would think getting a lawyer to force this issue is where the answer lays. Put the onus on the entity that created the problem. You might be able to sue the testing entity. Or at least get a lawyer to force a re-test at no cost since it wasn't properly applied the first time.

- the driver should have to pay for the citation of improper operation with a loud exhaust. He even admitted to it in the video. So that just re-enforces the topic of the cop doing his "mandatory" job. When one admits to the violation at the time of the investigation, it's kind of hard to claim the cop was in error. Ya can't sue the officer and his department when you admitted to the noise violation on video.

Last edited:
I apparently did read it, multiple times thanks - the allowed levels don't tell me anything vs. hearing it so here's some videos to put this in perspective...it's louder than I thought!
First of all, I want to apologize beause when I re-read what I wrote, it was rude; I'm sorry about that.
But, I do believe that all you needed to know was in the OPs original link; the car was very loud, because sport mode isn't meant for street use in this Elantra N (hence it's not part of the power on/off retention scheme). 102 dB pops are LOUD !!! I don't know how listening to a YT video makes one understand how "loud" a car is (that would be a function of the recording clarity, the volume on your computer, etc).

Lots of performance cars now have selectable tuning, which some also include exhaust modes. This isn't a new issue; just a new example which is extreme because the guy can't get his car registration updated because it failed an improperly applied test. Hyundai is even considering a buy-back of the car. That ought to be interesting ... may even end up in a recall campaign.

Last edited:
Apparently you (and others) didn't read some of this thread well enough.
I'll repeat this for you ...
"California Assembly Bill 1824 went into effect in January 2019. This new legislation ... makes it mandatory for police officers to issue immediate tickets to offenders."

The cop was doing his "mandated" job. Yes; he was a bit of a tool. He was rambling about stuff that he had no business talking about. It's his job to enforce the law; not be the judge and jury. The cop should not be fired; he should be counseled about his unsolicited legal advice.

Please, cops have a lot of leeway and discretion. Writing a ticket to someone driving an unmodified factory Sonata is just stupid and a waste of everyone's time.

Please, cops have a lot of leeway and discretion. Writing a ticket to someone driving an unmodified factory Sonata is just stupid and a waste of everyone's time.

If the cop decided to ignore the law requiring he give the driver a ticket, the cop COULD have gotten away with it prior to body cameras.

Now that there are body cameras, that changes things.

If the cop decided to ignore the law requiring he give the driver a ticket, the cop COULD have gotten away with it prior to body cameras.

Now that there are body cameras, that changes things.

Hasn't changed violating civil rights. Funny how they can be such sticklers for the law in certain situations.

My Raptor has 4 exhaust modes and the loudest has a message that pops up that says “for off-road use only”. It doesn’t restart in the loudest mode. Maybe I’m getting old but I find myself driving in quiet mode more than any other.

so that just re-enforces the topic of the cop doing his "mandatory" job.
I will quote the article:

"The officer immediately questioned the driver ... and stated that the vehicle was not able to be driven on the road in such condition. As captured in a dash cam video shared by ENtense on Youtube, the officer goes on to claim the owner will have to pay thousands of dollars to have the "track mode" removed before the car can be re-registered."

I agree, the cop should have written a citation and been on his way. Instead he decided to play smart and tough, and he was obviously neither. If he had time for all this nonsense then they must have too many cops.

This article is full of morons. A moron driver for running in the wrong mode and ADMITTING it, a moron cop thinking he was the judge jury and executioner, a moron test jockey who didn't know how to do his own job, and a moron state that has time to prosecute cars in track mode even though there own test was done incorrectly and has no recourse to have it done correctly.

I highly doubt that this article is telling the whole story and this car is bone stock. I see all kinds of cars with modified exhaust and with illegal tunes popping and back firing on deceleration. If I were a cop, I'd be handing out a lot of tickets for loud exhaust.

I highly doubt that this article is telling the whole story and this car is bone stock. I see all kinds of cars with modified exhaust and with illegal tunes popping and back firing on deceleration. If I were a cop, I'd be handing out a lot of tickets for loud exhaust.
Those N cars make all sorts of noises in “N mode”. At the autocross event I went to there was a completely stock, still on paper tags Kona N. At first we were like “lol, crossover?” but not only did that thing friggin RIP through the course it was pretty loud, lots of turbo and blow off noises and the exhaust sounded good (IMO). I wouldn’t say it was “loud”, the Roush Mustang took that prize, but it was up there and would definitely draw some attention.

Back