The Drive: California Cop Tickets Stock Hyundai Elantra N for Exhaust Noise.

The other bit w/r to the OEM is...disclosure. To me, yes...ignorance of the law is on you however, the dealers should let folks know (or the OEM) that N mode *may* be out of compliance with local noise ordinances and folks should look into it or however you want to phrase it...most reasonable people wouldn't think this is a legal issue. I still can't believe someone can buy a new car and any part of that car's OE function puts you out of compliance...nuts.

We have "loud exhaust" rules here in VA however, it was removed as a primary offense a few years ago and for good reason with several other minor equipment-type infractions (tint is one too)...my opinion is that we need less interaction with LE for this crap that is often used as an abuse to get more out of the stop including searches etc. You can still get cited but only if you say got pulled over for speeding and hey, BTW, your exhaust is too loud. However, b/c we can't have nice things and b/c of the catless downpipe/straight pipe crowd, we are back to being able to be pulled for it. I get it...folks now have no concept of "reasonableness". Your Mustang with Flowmasters sounds great but the straight-piped bro-dozer squat truck that is as loud as a stock car is not. Your Subaru with catless downpipe and AK47 gunfire tune, also not ok. Seems it should be easy to find that magical middle ground. Both of my VWs have modified exhausts that are tasteful and won't be getting me pulled over but give me some nice sound. My neighbor across the street has a BMW X5 M and he coded the exhaust valves open all the time, sounds amazing and yes, I hear him fire it in the morning but it's not obnoxious.

Just wait until a Fiat 500 Abarth drives by. No track mode switch, just loud all the time because it has no muffler straight from the factory.
Yep! My buddy had one and I coudln't believe it was straight piped from the factory...sounded amazing.

What a horrendous, vulgar waste of resources displayed here.

I do hate Hogs with straight pipes and the little squirts that ride 'em with their ape hangers. Shorty trying hard to be a BIG boy.

Cops around here wont touch them.

We use to have registry cops in Massachusetts, they had quite the fleet in the 70's and 80's
They were chasing us kids all over town. back when there was Spring and Fall inspections.

I was stopped for operating without a hood and also open headers on my 1974 V8 327 Vega. I talked the cop into following me home. I said I was testing the car and it was a work in progress. He said next time I see this vehicle it better be in compliance or it will be towed!

not mine but same year:
vega.jpg

What a horrendous, vulgar waste of resources displayed here.

I do hate Hogs with straight pipes and the little squirts that ride 'em with their ape hangers. Shorty trying hard to be a BIG boy.

Cops around here wont touch them.

We use to have registry cops in Massachusetts, they had quite the fleet in the 70's and 80's
They were chasing us kids all over town. back when there was Spring and Fall inspections.

I was stopped for operating without a hood and also open headers on my 1974 V8 327 Vega. I talked the cop into following me home. I said I was testing the car and it was a work in progress. He said next time I see this vehicle it better be in compliance or it will be towed!

not mine but same year:
View attachment 119857
What does someone's height have to do with this?

I like loud motor vehicles
Not so much loud, but I like to hear what the potential is when some parts are modified and brings the car to life. That's why I'm so against the Prius and the Tesla there's no noise. If we recall in the movie gone in 60 seconds they were calling out what types of automobiles based on their exhaust note in the movie. What needs to happen is all the aftermarket exhaust and air intake companies need to leave California since apparently they're making products that they themselves can't use. As long as it's not obnoxious I don't mind hearing a sporty exhaust. Some of the factory exhaust on the exotic and hypercars beat my borla exhaust system by far.

However, b/c we can't have nice things and b/c of the catless downpipe/straight pipe crowd, we are back to being able to be pulled for it.

A lot of people in Fairfax County complained to their politicians that their neighborhoods were starting to sound like Manassas, where there has been for years ZERO enforcement of any exhaust noise laws, and there continues to be ZERO enforcement of any exhaust noise laws and, for the last couple of years, pretty much any other traffic laws. Business 234/Sudley Road sounds like a dragstrip most nights. Dominion Speedway wasn't that noisy, when it was still in Manassas.

Last edited:
A lot of people in Fairfax County complained to their politicians that their neighborhoods were starting to sound like Manassas.
haha - I get it....I would be pissed if a kid in a Subi with that type of exhaust ripped out of my neighborhood every day too...again...lack of reasonableness. Kids 2-stepping etc. is obnoxious and sounds like gunfire.

Watched the video, cop is a major jerk dishing out inaccurate information, threats and legal advice. Cops like this give the entire profession a bad rep.
Keep your mouth shut, take the ticket, leave. Deal with it in court. "May I leave now?".

haha - I get it....I would be pissed if a kid in a Subi with that type of exhaust ripped out of my neighborhood every day too...again...lack of reasonableness. Kids 2-stepping etc. is obnoxious and sounds like gunfire.

A friend of mine lives in Manassas, and one or more of his neighbors has an exhaust you can hear from over half a mile away. I rarely ever see anyone pulled over for anything around there, it's like the cops have just given up doing any enforcement of any traffic laws.

Keep your mouth shut, take the ticket, leave. Deal with it in court. "May I leave now?".

The driver was nothing but polite, courteous and respectful to the officer who was threatening him with $7k in costs (no idea how he came up with that BS), suspended his registration and tried to suspend his license! For selecting a drive mode on a stock car. Ridiculous!

The driver was nothing but polite, courteous and respectful to the officer who was threatening him with $7k in costs (no idea how he came up with that BS), suspended his registration and tried to suspend his license! For selecting a drive mode on a stock car. Ridiculous!

Cops are allowed to suspend a registration? Thought that was something a judge had to do.

I just watched the video and the exhaust note videos. I’m curious, what does California say about all those obnoxiously loud sleazy motorcycles that literally rattle your brain, or the loud 18 wheelers, dump trucks, concrete haulers, etc? And what about the V8 muscle cars like Mustangs, Camaros, etc? Yeah, the buzz pop pop pop cars sound really silly, but why is California so angry and uptight about that? Heck, city buses are even loud. Smh.

A friend of mine lives in Manassas, and one or more of his neighbors has an exhaust you can hear from over half a mile away. I rarely ever see anyone pulled over for anything around there, it's like the cops have just given up doing any enforcement of any traffic laws.
I think it will take a call to the police to sort that out. There are trucks I see down here in the Richmond area like that and I think "They must not have any neighbors." When I start my W8, I'm cautious about it/not goosing it leaving. Funny as I type this I just heard my neighbor fire up that X5 M!

He was that for sure. It's interesting in that the police officer seemed to know what "track mode" was but really didn't get that this is on a stock car/legal to be sold with. So by his convo it seems like he was saying "I know they come this way but since you used it, now you have to pay $7K to take it off...but if you hadn't used it it would be ok to have it." Almost like he knew but was confused that this isn't an aftermarket tune etc. and also didn't understand that it was selectable and that the testing has to test the loudest mode that persists a key cycle. My son has been talking to be about this whole thing today as it's spreading over the interwebs!

Cops are allowed to suspend a registration? Thought that was something a judge had to do.
That's what I mean, that's the part that is confusing to me. I get the ticket, ok, no issue. But that is something I want to understand - so any noise ticket is backed by a test they have to completed? And this test is backed by having to do it b/c you reg is suspended until the test is completed?

That's what I mean, that's the part that is confusing to me. I get the ticket, ok, no issue. But that is something I want to understand - so any noise ticket is backed by a test they have to completed? And this test is backed by having to do it b/c you reg is suspended until the test is completed?

Even if that were the case I would think they'd give you a 10-day or something grace period to get the test done, after which your registration is suspended.

Back