The days of the year you should avoid flying a commercial airline if you are budget conscious

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Frontier Airline announced an all you can fly pass for $599. Of note, I have zero trust of Frontier or Spirit business model and don't/ won't fly their airlines.

None the less- Frontier listed the following dates as "blackout dates" from the annual pass. The dates clearly tell me are the busiest/ most profitable days for a USA airline, and one might avoid flying on these dates if budget is a concern:
  • 2023: May 25, 26, 29; June 29, 30; July 1-5, 8, 9; Aug. 31; Sept. 1, 4; Oct. 5, 6, 9; Nov. 18, 22, 24-27; Dec. 16, 17, 22-24, 26-31;
  • 2024: Jan. 1, 15; Feb. 15, 16, 19; March 3, 10, 15-17, 22-24, 29-31; April 5-7, 12-14. Blackout dates for May 2024 and beyond will be posted in advance of accepting any enrollments for pass periods that cover those dates.

I like the plane ride, I hate the airports.
I concur ...
I enjoy and trust the principles of flight. Flying can be fun.

I dislike commercial air travel for the following reasons:
- long lines (often)
- sick people spreading germs
- smelly people who don't realize they stink
- rude people
- loud, uncontrolled children
- tiny, dirty bathrooms
- emotional support animals (not to be confused with service animals, with which I have no problem whatsoever)
- flight delays due to weather
- flight delays due to flight crew shortages
- flight cancellations (extension of the two above)

Hence, I don't fly.

Last edited:
Airline travel has become miserable. It's pretty bad when the government is talking about regulating the size of seats..........
I commute on JetBlue quite a bit.

Yesterday, I'm in the middle seat and to my left the elderly lady is picking skin and scabs off of her hands and brushing the debris on me. I'm an aviation professional, wearing my badge(s) and clearly understand how to behave myself. I asked her twice to stop, both times she turned her head away in disregard. Unfortunately, I was actively prevented, by the staff, from getting up due to cabin service (all she had to do was move the cart 2 feet) and I sat there with eyes closed, seething. My neat, black pants were covered in white bits of skin and scabs. Holy mother of god... I texted my wife and she suggested a snotrocket as retaliation. Hahahaha, at least that made me laugh.

I took a couple of pictures. I can't post them here, they are too gross.

Last edited:
I commute on JetBlue quite a bit.

Yesterday, I'm in the middle seat and to my left the elderly lady is picking skin and scabs off of her hands and brushing the debris on me. I'm an aviation professional, wearing my badge(s) and clearly understand how to behave myself. I asked her twice to stop, both times she turned her head away in disregard. Unfortunately, I was actively prevented, by the staff, from getting up due to cabin service (all she had to do was move the cart 2 feet) and I sat there with eyes closed, seething. My neat, black pants were covered in white bits of skin and scabs. Holy mother of god... I texted my wife and she suggested a snotrocket as retaliation. Hahahaha, at least that made me laugh.

I took a couple of pictures. I can't post them here, they are too gross.
A decade or so ago I would have found your story hard to believe. However in today's world it is not. Sorry you had to sit next to that inconsiderate slob.

A decade or so ago I would have found your story hard to believe. However in today's world it is not. Sorry you had to sit next to that inconsiderate slob.
Well, to be fair, this is the first time I've ever experienced this. And probably the last. Most JetBlue flights are superb. I've met a large number of interesting people. And many others who simply watch TV, minding their own business. Which is also fantastic.

Well, to be fair, this is the first time I've ever experienced this. And probably the last. Most JetBlue flights are superb. I've met a large number of interesting people. And many others who simply watch TV, minding their own business. Which is also fantastic.
Glad you have had a great service up to that point.. As a rule-I will not fly Southwest, Frontier, or Jetblue-or any other discount airline. My son once flew Frontier-and had electrical connections dangling in the main cabin. I mean really.

picking skin and scabs off of her hands and brushing the debris on me.
I've seen fliers using fingernail clippers and launching their clippings into the aisle / near people as everyone was boarding. No place for personal grooming. Low IQ behavior. Oh, and don't forget those that wear pajamas when they fly...

American calls it first class and the rest of aircraft is called main cabin.

Premium economy is a better description of first class.

Glad you have had a great service up to that point.. As a rule-I will not fly Southwest, Frontier, or Jetblue-or any other discount airline.
The thing is, JB really does have more room than many of the others and some pretty nice seats. I see no reason to stay away from them.

Back