the cost of going back to dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2001 Neon (5sp) with 34k on the clock. Since I've owned it at 16k, it has seen only Mobil 1 10w-30 at 3-5k intervals. The last oil report with almost 5k on the oil showed that I could probably stretch it to 5.5k next time.

About 98% of my driving is highway, as I drive 60 miles a day on the highway to and from work, plus more highway on the weekends. I also autocross my car (SCCA solo 2, if you are unfamiliar with autocross, its 40-70 second runs against the clock through a pylon course to determine the best driver/car setup) during the summer on average of once every 2 weeks for a total of about 7-10 a year. In addition, once or twice a year I will take my car out to lapping days at local area tracks (my fav is www.grattanraceway.com ). Now taking my driving into consideration, do you think it would be ok to make the change back to dino oils?

Rather then spend 20 on each oil change at 5-6k, I figure it might be better to spend 5 bucks at 3k for each oil change. Any thoughts?

You would probably be able to go 5k on dino oil with the type of driving you do. A used oil analysis would probably prove that.

yea, 5k would probably be fine on dino, espcially since I don't do any type of racing in the late fall/winter/early spring.

On the same note, I use 10w-30. My dad used to work at the Chrysler Proving Grounds and had conversations with the engine engineers on oil viscosity. They said that the modifiers used to make 5w-30 slightly degrade the quality of the oil compared to 10w-30. Any thoughts? Being near Detroit, if I went back to dino should I just stick with 10w-30 or try some 5w-30 or even 0w-30 for the winter?

I should've mentioned that when it comes to dino oil, you've definitely got a better chance with 10w30 than you do with 5w30, since 5w30 dino oil thins out so quickly. So for the 5k intervals with dino, run 10w30 for sure.

Agree entirely. I use 5W30 only in the dead of winter. I think most of the dino 5w30's strip down rather quickly, although I'm not sure what damage is actually done if an oil stays in the high range of 20 weights.

Interestingly, a 2.2 liter Cavalier seemed to burn a bit more when I went to 10W30 at 85,000 miles. Went back to a 5W30, but sold the car soon after.

You could probably do well with a good Group II+ and some LC! In the warm months run something like Delo 400 . In the winter Chevron Supreme 10W30. I would try it and if it works for you then go for it. You can always switch back again when you can afford to. We all have prioritys and it would be silly to let something more important suff or oil guilt!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back