The cost of general auto service..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the 2000 Dodge GC in to my local indy yesterday for service and state inspection. Oil change and filter, Pan drop, new filter and 5 qts of ATF-4, check the brakes for a slightly soft pedal. Normal service, no issues.

Cost - $233.39 .

Last year I did a similar job on the 94, cost was oil, 5 qt's Peak 5W-30@ $1.80=$9, Motorcraft FL1A filter, $3.67, tranny filter, $14.88, 5 qts ATF+4 @ $4.27=$21.35, state inspection, $30.

Cost - $78.90

Butch billed 2 hrs labor, $110, reasonable. Would have taken me ~3 hours.

The difference between $233.39 and $189.90 is tax and misc expenses.

Doing it myself, I would have saved 154.49.

I'm not complaining, Butch's shop is less then 2 miles from the house, he is an excellent mechanic and totally reliable.

I'm a car guy and an x-ga pilot. He is also a car guy and an ex-military chopper pilot. We always have stuff to talk about.

The reason I had the work done is because health issues have limited my ability to crawl around under a car out in the driveway.

The good news is that I have this great auto shop nearby and I'm still able walk most days. I like to count blessings, even the small ones.

Yep I avoid those stealerships every chance I get.

The problem being they know a lot of people aren't going to plan ahead two months and they know they have a captive audience that isn't going to lay on a driveway at twenty below and change oil. But planning ahead that's a lot to expect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
The reason I had the work done is because health issues have limited my ability to crawl around under a car out in the driveway.

Is that permanent or temporary ?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

The problem being they know a lot of people aren't going to plan ahead two months and they know they have a captive audience that isn't going to lay on a driveway at twenty below and change oil. But planning ahead that's a lot to expect.

He took it to an independent garage, not a Mopar dealer. A dealer would have been more expensive.

This is BITIOG-guys change their own oil on here-supposedly to make sure it's done right. However-cost also plays in to it. IMHO.

Consequently-what others time and service is worth is not valued that highly on here.

As I was reading I was figuring it out in my head thinking "sounds about right", and you agreed.

Yes it is cheaper to DIY, but not everyone is able (either physically or skill wise) to do things, even "simple" oil changes.

Sounds like you have a good shop, make sure to refer people to him (and use your name as a referral). Indy shops thrive on word of mouth service. Finding a shop that charges a fair price and does good work is good to have.
I have a shop I use for things that are above my skill level. While I don't like paying to have stuff done, I know when I can't, they will and it will be done right (or he will take care of it for me).

That sounds amazingly inexpensive for the service.

Engine oil changes are often done at the cost of the supplies. Transmission oil changes, in contrast, are often expensive and very profitable.

Around here the dealers charge *well* over $200/hour at book rate. Book rate is quite generous on non-warranty service, so the effective labor rate is even higher. An independent shop with a good reputation can charge $200/hour and still look very good compared to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: djb

That sounds amazingly inexpensive for the service.

Engine oil changes are often done at the cost of the supplies. Transmission oil changes, in contrast, are often expensive and very profitable.

Around here the dealers charge *well* over $200/hour at book rate. Book rate is quite generous on non-warranty service, so the effective labor rate is even higher. An independent shop with a good reputation can charge $200/hour and still look very good compared to the dealer.

My GM dealer an oil change on my Duramax with synblend is $129 and tax.
I can do the same change with a Mobil 1 or Ultra filter and T6 full synthetic for $62 or less.

Originally Posted By: CKN
This is BITIOG-guys change their own oil on here-supposedly to make sure it's done right. However-cost also plays in to it. IMHO.

Consequently-what others time and service is worth is not valued that highly on here.

Changed my son's battery today. His was on the edge, probably bad and at 5 years old and winter coming, why risk it.

Took me an hour or so.

Why?

After I pulled the battery, I cleaned up the cable ends, installed the new battery and put it on a charger to make sure it was topped up. The newest one on the shelf had a 9/17 manufacture date, so it could be from 5-9 weeks old.

While the battery was charging, I took the hold down, cleaned it up, roughed it up with a wire brush and then painted it with black enamel to help protect it as there was battery corrosion on that.

Of course, I could have just got the free install at the parts store, but I don't think they would take the time and care I did in working on his car.

Of course, he probably would have been fine with just a battery slap and maybe a cursory clean on the cable ends and the corroded hold down. But why not do the job right.

It was a one beer job.

I couldn't have had a beer while I was standing around at the parts store...

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Changed my son's battery today. His was on the edge, probably bad and at 5 years old and winter coming, why risk it.

Took me an hour or so.

Why?

After I pulled the battery, I cleaned up the cable ends, installed the new battery and put it on a charger to make sure it was topped up. The newest one on the shelf had a 9/17 manufacture date, so it could be from 5-9 weeks old.

While the battery was charging, I took the hold down, cleaned it up, roughed it up with a wire brush and then painted it with black enamel to help protect it as there was battery corrosion on that.

Of course, I could have just got the free install at the parts store, but I don't think they would take the time and care I did in working on his car.

Of course, he probably would have been fine with just a battery slap and maybe a cursory clean on the cable ends and the corroded hold down. But why not do the job right.

It was a one beer job.

I couldn't have had a beer while I was standing around at the parts store...

No probably wouldn't have been as good as a job. However-most places who have installed a battery for me did make sure the cables were cleaned and installed the anti-corrosion pads.

Not always. Where I live now the Toyota and Honda dealership do $25.99 oil change synblend + carwash and $49.99 synthetic. They changed my air and cabin filters for the cost of the filter, no labor charge, because they said they check them free and it's not extra labor to replace with new. I've also called Indy's and asked for estimates and they've been higher and don't include OEM parts. Guess it depends where you live.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

He took it to an independent garage, not a Mopar dealer. A dealer would have been more expensive.

PLUS....you can still do it yourself some other time. Or do something else with the time you're not spending on the car.

I can give you an example of a garage business model where you HAVE to get overcharged.
A particular foreign car mechanic built his own 3 bay garage building.
The owner has a "toy car", a colorful convertible, in one of the bays AT ALL TIMES.
Somebody's paying to amortize the building loan and I bet you dollars to doughnuts it's his customers.

I won't go there for an oil change in the dead of Winter.

At least TRY to LOOK like you're playing the game fairly.

Originally Posted By: Kira
PLUS....you can still do it yourself some other time. Or do something else with the time you're not spending on the car.

I can give you an example of a garage business model where you HAVE to get overcharged.
The owner has a "toy car", a colorful convertible, in one of the bays AT ALL TIMES.
Somebody's paying to amortize the building loan and I bet you dollars to doughnuts it's his customers.

Really NOT A VALID POINT. All businesses have real estate overhead. Whether it leases,rent or mortgage payments. BTW-everyone is entitled to TOYS-if they can afford them!

Every time you order a hamburger-you help pay the lease for that retail pad the fastfood joint is sitting on in the shopping center.

See what I mean?

Last edited:
Opinions of what something costs cost nothing. Running a business and charging what they think it should cost never seems to materialize for these people.

That is valid to an extent (that your time is money, not the value of a mechanics time). If me working on my car takes away from me earning money at my job, it is a big factor.

If I am doing it on my downtime, for relaxation, or a hobby, or just goofing off, then not so much.

It is like saying I want to be paid when I poop since my time is worth $xx (although while at work, I being paid).

I do see so many complain about the cost of auto repair, and some may be justified, but if you want to be a successful repair shop, you need to keep up to date, and with all the computer controlled stuff, scan tools are essential and need to be updated, tools as well, and just the cost of business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Took the 2000 Dodge GC in to my local indy yesterday for service and state inspection. Oil change and filter, Pan drop, new filter and 5 qts of ATF-4, check the brakes for a slightly soft pedal. Normal service, no issues.
The good news is that I have this great auto shop nearby and I'm still able walk most days. I like to count blessings, even the small ones.

Two observations. One, it's great to find a good, honest independent mechanic. The second is a bit more complex.

I live near the state border, and on the other side of the line they require regular inspections. Over there, common maintenance work is much more reasonably priced, to the point even my handy, DIY buddies let their mechanics do the easy things, at least when it's inspection time and the car is already at the shop.

Over here on this side of the line, shops give crazy multi-thousand dollar estimates to "catch up" on maintenance, and owners tell them to go pound sand.

There is probably more going on here than required safety checks, it costs more to run a shop in heavily taxed and regulated Maryland. But the mutual disdain of service writers and, uh, patrons here is palpable.

Speaking of which, a neighbor shops around for the lowest price on major service work, he always ends up in Pennsylvania. I recommended my local Indy and he rolled his eyes 'he charges over $100 an hour!' yeah well he has zero come-backs, and is 5 minutes away, too.

But my next set of tires is coming from PA, if the last set of estimates I got is any indication.

Originally Posted By: Kira

I don't see how his Toy & what he does with HIS bay is any of your business, When I owned a shop.....My '79 Camaro drag car had a spot in a bay, It was built with MY money on MY time.....In fact I would rob parts off of it at times to get customers out on the track.

CKN I overall agree with you about people not valuing other people's time. I understand that for a 4 wheel brake job the "book" will say charge 3 hours of labor. I understand that the book pads the numbers in order for the shop to make sure they can meet payroll, pay state, federal and local taxes, pay for their own shops maintenance upkeep, and ensure there is some profit as well. I understand that is part of the game. And it makes sense to me. I do value their time and I hope they value my time and patronage as well. Which I have generally been very happy with where I taken my cars to be worked on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back