The cost of general auto service..

Status
Not open for further replies.
With easily accessible drain plugs, oil and trans fluid changes can be fairly simple. Once the first trans pan drop and filter is done, no need to go back inside there again for a long time....hence an easily accessible drain plug(s) is a big plus. On my car the trans cooler line is easily accessible by leaning over the grille of the car. So until the next filter change is due in 7 years, I'll do several easy flushes via the cooler line. If there's a "next" car for me, I'm going to ensure that fluid and filter access is easy enough. When I go to the Indy I'd rather it be for something that includes major wrenching.

It sounds about average to me in terms of cost.

If you wanted to take the time to shop around, which will cost time, fuel and more miles on the vehicle, I'm sure you could get these services done for less money. I know around me, there's a local transmission shop that will do a pan drop, filter change and fluid replacement for $79. I've used them 3-4x over the years. They do general auto repair as well, so with an oil change and inspection, you could probably get out the door for $130 or so.

In my experience the gap between what a dealer service department and independent shop charges has narrowed significantly over the years. A year or so back I experienced this with brake work I needed done ASAP. I saved maybe $30 tops by using an independent shop I like.

We take the wife's Versa to the Nissan dealership until the free maintenance runs out but that's at least a 40 mile round trip and a 2-3 hour ordeal each time. At least we can walk to In-N-Out across the street while they work on it.

When I start having to pay for maintenance, you can bet I'm going to do it myself. Regardless of the fact that a shop might do oil changes for a similar price to what I can do them myself for, it's a huge time savings. It's either spend 30 mins in the driveway and go do something else while it's draining, or spend 30 mins (minimum) in traffic each way, and sit around waiting for the work to get done. If it was ever 20 below, I'm sure my opinion would be different.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
A good indy is worth their weight in gold. Especially the one man operations.

+1, I've noticed this as well. Less middlemen in the equation = a better deal. Versus the dealer that has to give a profit/compensation to the owner, service manager, service advisor, technician, cashier, telephone operator, etc... Not a negative, just the way it is.
smile.gif

South Main Auto repair(youtube channel) seems to be this way, the one man indy. His wife works there and helps out. I wish I lived closer. Another one is Ed from the old Wheeler Dealers. Seems like a lot of small towns have them.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
Regardless of the fact that a shop might do oil changes for a similar price to what I can do them myself for, it's a huge time savings. It's either spend 30 mins in the driveway and go do something else while it's draining, or spend 30 mins (minimum) in traffic each way, and sit around waiting for the work to get done.

For me you hit the nail on the head with this time saving. I hate the inconvenience and waste of time having to drive out to a garage to get a service done. Then you sit around for some time before they even start work on the car. I had a service receptionist blatantly lie to me when I asked about progress after already waiting 2 hours. "it's on the lift in the service bay now sir " In fact they hadn't even started yet as it was still outside where I'd parked it. Needless to say I never went there again. It's just a whole stressful experience I can do without.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
A good indy is worth their weight in gold. Especially the one man operations.

My long-time independent isn't really a one-man operation. His wife works part-time in the office, his brothers are out there in the service bays with him, and his 90-year-old dad answers the phone and takes messages. Family operation indeed!

The Buick-GMC dealer I've used for a while for oil changes/tire rotations is quick and painless. Yes, their labor and parts charges are higher than my independent; something's got to pay for the "free" coffee and cookies in the customer lounge. But they don't fiddle around, they open the service department promptly even on Saturday, and have never tried to upsell me on anything.

And I thought 80.00 an hour used to be bad. Glad I know some great mechanics who do things cheaper and also on the side.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
My long time indy shop is currently at 90/hour, but its been at that price a while and is due to go up.

I started out with one indy at about $50/hour, first he worked out of his house, then he got a van and then he got a shop. Ended up at about $80/hour before he moved. Got a new indy now, he claims he's about $20/hour, but he quotes by the job and he's pretty fast so he makes about 40/hour. Found them on craigslist, looked for ase mechanics. Two out of 3 were good, used one guy that got the job done, but I felt he was sloppy, left parts sitting around and would have missed a couple things if I hadn't pointed things out to him. Stopped using him after one job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back