The Continentals on my 2015 Civic..HORRIBLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have ProContacts on my Civic @8,500 I'd buy them again..I'd also assume a Continential ProContact model tire is just that, regardless when or where purchased.

Last edited:
I think I am going to get Michelin Pilot Sports on my Mazda when the Dunlops wear out. Ive had Michelin Primacy MXV4 on the Mazda 3 and I was happy with them.

Well,I will be having the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus installed on my 2015 Civic this weekend. I will let you guys know exactly how the ride quality
improves over this OEM Continentals.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
My pontenzas lasted 60K on my echo and were great tires, so factory tires aren't always bad.

OEM tires are not universally short-lasting, though it is often the case. It even differs wildly within the same auto manufacturer and tire manufacturer. The 1st generation Honda Ridgeline had Michelin LTX M/S tires as factory tires, and they are well documented as impressively long-lasting tires right from the factory -- most last as long as 80 or 100 thousand miles. But the Michelin Cross Terrain tires that came on our MDX from the factory were 40k mile tires at best.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
and of course, the General RT43 and Cooper CS5 Ultra are very popular on BITOG.

As much as I like Cooper it seems the RT43 has an edge in the ice braking category. In Consumer Reports the RT43 get a good rating while the CS5 gets a poor rating.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Well,I will be having the Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus installed on my 2015 Civic this weekend. I will let you guys know exactly how the ride quality

had those on my 03 Accord 2.4 liked them, decent in snow and mildly sporty.

Yawn, Situation normal here.

Yes OEM tires are spec'ed by the car manufacturer.. and generally are designed for MPG

Even michelin oem tires can be below average.. some hankook, kumho oem tires etc are truely horrid.

Dont worry normal aftermarket Continental tires will be excellent.

Just go look at tirerack almost all oem tires will be rated 5 or below.

This comes down to the fact that all tire manufacturers make good and bad tires..

Bad being tires designed with priorities other than what you are looking for.

The ride quality will be phenomenal (compared to what you have), but the wet traction may be equally terrible.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=220

It turns out that Conti makes 6 versions of the ContiProContact in the 205/55R16 size - Nissan, VW, Toyota, Dodge, Hyundai, Mercedes, as well as the one for Honda/Acura.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

The ride quality will be phenomenal (compared to what you have), but the wet traction may be equally terrible.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=220

Yes, the Pirelli P7 Cinturato All Season PLUS seems to have fallen in the testing on the Tire Rack test especially in the wet. However, it is nothing we notice in real world driving with lots of rain and wet weather. They are just a great tire in the 205-55-16 tire on the Mazda3 in my signature. Being a LRR tire, could explain why it suffers somewhat in the wet??? IDK!

Here is CR Test Results...hopefully the CR Site doesn't expire:

http://www.consumerreports.org/products/performance-all-season-tire/ratings-overview/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
That is usually the experience with OE tires. They need to be cheap and get good gas mileage. ....

This, in my experience. OE Michelins on 3.0L Accord didn't get great tread wear either, ~30k miles and done.

Subsequently put on a set of Continental DWS, which happened to have the worst flat spotting vibration I ever experienced. Took them back to DT after a month, got the Mich Primacy MXV4 which was an excellent tire. Currently General Altimax RT43 V rated which I find equally good to the MXV4s, but for much less.

The OEM ProContacts on my Focus have been terrific: 45,000 miles, 6-7/32nds tread left, responsive, quiet, perfectly balanced. Would buy again.

Originally Posted By: Olas
I don't know why more Americans don't use Yokohama rubber - you guys are missing out!

While I agree with you about yokohama being excellent.

we have almost no tire models you have available in the UK. I wish we had some of your winter tires.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I don't know why more Americans don't use Yokohama rubber - you guys are missing out!

While I agree with you about yokohama being excellent.

we have almost no tire models you have available in the UK. I wish we had some of your winter tires.

It seems crazy to me that more choice isn't available given that driving is your constitutional right.

It seems crazy to me that more choice isn't available given that driving is your constitutional right.

Driving is not a constitutional right in the United States.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

Driving is not a constitutional right in the United States.

But it sure gets treated as such
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back