The Continentals on my 2015 Civic..HORRIBLE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

After only 17,100 EASY miles on my 2015 Civic EX sedan, the OEM Continental ContiPro Contact, although all 4 wearing perfectly even as the alignment seems dead on, are wearing VERY fast and have now become very harsh, and hard riding!
Is this the general experience with this OEM tire!

Also, what grand touring tire will prove to be a HUGE upgrade from the Continentals where I would immediately feel the difference in ride comfort??

Thanks!

Last edited:
That is usually the experience with OE tires. They need to be cheap and get good gas mileage.

Unfortunately, since Continental makes a lot of OE tires, I have never had a good experience with Continental tires.

I think your being too critical about the tires. Your driving the wrong car if ride comfort is a big deal to you.

Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread Touring. Buy at Discount Tire and get a warranty pro rate if they wear out before the warranty is up.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I think your being too critical about the tires. Your driving the wrong car if ride comfort is a big deal to you.

I definitely agree with you. No offense, but Civic is definitely NOT a comfortable ride. See, the man saying it who has 2 Civics!

Yes, very typical experience.

Looks at the Michelin Premier or Pirelli P7 as replacements.

Both will provide huge improvements in comfort, noise, traction.

I put a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring on my Civic a few days after I bought the car. They are excellent tires. Very comfortable ride quality, super quiet and great handling wet or dry. The Civic may not be built for a quality ride experience but these Coopers make it much better. I get great mpg with them as well, usually 32 to 34 tracked on Fuelly.com.

The tires on the Civic are likely chosen for low rolling resistance and other factors. They may not even be comparable to seemingly identical tires in the aftermarket.

You should be able to get a MUCH smoother riding tire for that car, but don't expect miracles...

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

I definitely agree with you. No offense, but Civic is definitely NOT a comfortable ride. See, the man saying it who has 2 Civics!

Agreed, and no offense.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

+1

I disagree! The first 12,000 miles or so the ride quality was MUCH better than now! You guys are misinformed here. The current gen Civic are nice compliant smooth riding cars! You are thinking of the 2012 and earlier, before Honda reworked the suspension.

Last edited:
I had ContiProContact as OE on an '04 Altima and though they weren't worn out completely, they sucked by 18,000 miles. So I got rid of them for Pirelli P4 which I had til I sold the car. The P4s were great. We also have P7s on the Mazda in my sig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
I disagree! The first 12,000 miles or so the ride quality was MUCH better than now! You guys are misinformed here. The current gen Civic are nice compliant smooth riding cars! You are thinking of the 2012 and earlier, before Honda reworked the suspension.

IMO, just more reason to blame the OE tires. I would agree with others in that if you want a performance / comfort mix you might want to look at the Michelin Premiers and Pirelli P7. I have zero expectations of OE tires lasting more than 20-25K miles and typically swap the OE tires out for new rubber during the first six months of ownership.

It's the general experience with ALL OE tires. Almost anything will give you a better ride, except max performance tires and most runflats.

What is your tire size? 205/55-16?

If you can afford a new car, you can usually afford two sets of tires. Grand touring summer tires will ride better than any all-season. Top choices:
Falken Ziex ZE914 Ecorun
Bridgestone Turanza ER300
Michelin Primacy HP
Goodyear EfficientGrip
Hankook Ventus Prime2

But if you must use all-season tires, my recommendations would be
Dunlop Signature II
Dunlop Signature HP
Goodyear Assurance Comfortred
Kumho Solus TA71
and of course, the General RT43 and Cooper CS5 Ultra are very popular on BITOG.

Bridgestone Driveguard (you already have TPMS and have to get a reset, so why not take advantage of the reason TPMS was invented in the first place? The Driveguard is MUCH better than any other runflats)

Originally Posted By: flinter

If you compare to old Civic maybe. But you can get so much comfort from such a small car.
As for Continental, those are tires made specifically for Honda using Honda parameters. Buy same tires made by Continental for aftermarket sale and it will be different story.

I have contis on my vibe now and the rubber is harder than the other tire brands. I think they ride like normal. The ride is a little harsh but it's a Pontiac vibe, it's harsh no matter what brand tire. It's my DD and no real issues w them. I probably got another 15K miles before I need to replace them and gonna go w the pirelli p7 if the price is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back