The color of cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vote for the worst colors are Jeep's Mojave Sand on the Renegade, and Ford's Lithium Gray on the F-150. Different tastes are what make the world go 'round, but I will never understand how anyone can spot one of these on a dealer lot and think "wow, that looks great". They both make me want to stick pins in my eyes.

Yuck.jpg

While it's true that any car looks good in black, after having a black daily driver the next one sure won't be black. A black car looks awesome... for the first 5 minutes after you finish washing and/or detailing it. Afterwards, the dust seems to glow like a neon light as soon as it touches the paint.

It's really boring that 75%+ of vehicles on the road these days are on the grey scale.

Among the vehicles I owned, my favorite color was my dark green '98 RAV4. Had that color been available on my current car, that's what I would have chosen.

Originally Posted by WylieCoyote
My vote for the worst colors are Jeep's Mojave Sand on the Renegade, and Ford's Lithium Gray on the F-150.

"Lithium Grey" is more of a "Battleship Grey". Perhaps it's Ford's answer to coincide with their, "Military Grade Aluminum" they made the thing out of? Besides, he can get the matching Harley.

[Linked Image]

White. Really white! It's bright and sunny and I just finished washing it and as always, dark sunglasses are absolutely needed. This is a 2007 Mazda6 (about 190,000 miles) with a 5sp manual. I had a black 2009 Mazda6 and while the car was great, the black paint was a real turn-off. It always looked dirty and dusty. Surprisingly, the white car does not look as bad when it gets dirty.

P1001387-Mazda6-Small.jpg

White is actually very easy to maintain, and doesn't show light dirt, dust or water spots or light scratches. You just run the risk of looking like you borrowed it from Enterprise.

My ride in 2011

Optima.JPG

Two of my favorite colors ever offered as a factory paint job were the Blue Green Chameleon (AKA Mystic Teal) offered on the Firebird from around 1995 to 2002, and the Mystic color that came on the Mustang Cobras in the early 2000s. Both of these colors shifted from one color to another as you looked at it from a different angle. I had a Blue Green Chameleon 98 Firebird Formula that I factory ordered specifically to get that color. They just don't do paint jobs like those anymore.

I like when manufacturers offer special custom colors where you can give them the swatch and they'll paint it any color you want. I too am tired of seeing every car on the road some shade of gray or silver.

My favorite, out of the cars I've owned, is Black Cherry Mica on the '06 Speed 6. I got so many parking lot compliments on that color.

Black cherry.JPG

Originally Posted by das_peikko
This came to mind when I saw a late model Honda Accord Coupe on the road today in metallic root beer brown. When was the last time I saw a brown car, I thought to myself. Most cars on the road today are either white, black, silver, grey, blue, or some variation of red. Rarely do I see a green or brown car on the road today. Some of you may remember when Chrysler had a Dodge Intrepid in a special shade of brown. I use to call it "Hot Wheels Brown" because it was the same brown as some of their toy cars back in the 1970s.

When I was on the dealer lot looking at BMWs, I was tempted by one 3 Series that was a dark metallic brown such as you describe. In dim light I bet it would have looked black. Cream interior, so I liked it, but the black window trim made it look unfinished, like they'd forgotten to put chrome on. So I went with my gold car.

Yes, we need more colors available, and more interior colors than cream (when you can find it), dark gray, and black. An emerald or forest green exterior and a cream interior -- hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back