The color of cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came to mind when I saw a late model Honda Accord Coupe on the road today in metallic root beer brown. When was the last time I saw a brown car, I thought to myself. Most cars on the road today are either white, black, silver, grey, blue, or some variation of red. Rarely do I see a green or brown car on the road today. Some of you may remember when Chrysler had a Dodge Intrepid in a special shade of brown. I use to call it "Hot Wheels Brown" because it was the same brown as some of their toy cars back in the 1970s.

Colors are coming back into fashion. I almost bought one of those brown Accords in 2015. I think it's an awesome color. Lexus makes the ES350 in brown. We test drove a brown Mercury in 1977 buy my parents wound up buying a green Buick. The 2019 Rav4 comes in two different shades of blue and a strange light green color in addition to the usual colors.

My brother has a 2018 1794 Tundra that's a metallic Brown....Beautiful color in my opinion! On that truck anyway with it's Saddle leather interior.

Originally Posted by gregk24
I like that color also. VW's Toffee Brown Metallic is a nice looking color as well.

That's what the 2012 Jetta is in the sig. When my dad first bought it someone came up to him and asked him if the color was called Hersey's chocolate.

My wife had a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum in a seldom seen Caribou Metallic color. It was a very classy looking brown. We recently ordered a 2020 Explorer with a new color called Silver Spruce Metallic. It's not really silver and not really green -- it's something in between but difficult to describe.

My Mazda was "Calm Beige," a color that was common back then, disappeared for a while, but lately seems to be making a comeback. A friend has a 2018 CRV almost the same shade.

I'm partial to white cars myself, I own 2. My brothers Charger is Go Mango, which depending on the light either looks more orange or more red. But FCA's B5 blue holds a special spot in my heart, as does plum crazy... if I ever get my Challenger it'll be one of those 2 colors.

The absolute worst color imo is that "Destroyer Gray" color, Fords version is called "Stealth Gray." Looks like they primed the car for paint, but then skipped painting it and just cleared over it.

FB9D3B54-7FA9-4D24-B1F9-EB6308B30F05.jpeg

Originally Posted by csandste
I want more colors!!! You hear me manufacturers? I WANT MORE COLORS!!!!

01.gif

silver SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mad.gif

I love the new Brown that Toyota has. I agree that we need more color on cars. My Wife points out all the white and silver cars on the road. It's downright boring.

Since we're on a car color nostalgia trip, allow me to reveal my favorite color of all time

Ford's Sonic Blue (on my favorite car of all time, the '03/'04 SVT Cobra):

wp2190933.jpg

Saab's "Hazelnut" was THE BEST brown color ever made.

I like colors too. Many hate white. I love many white cars.

OLD DESIGN ADDAGE: If a car looks good in white, it's a great design.

Green rental company cars like Ford Tauruses (Tauri?)

My neighbor just bought a Challenger in Plum Crazy. When the sun is shining on it, it is gorgeous.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Thinking of a brown car makes a '70s Datsun B210 pop into my head.
Not a pleasant thought...

And what is so wrong with a brown Datsun?

I sure miss mine...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Color is good but I'm noticing that dark colors show up door dings too well (scratch the paint and whatever is under shines through). I suspect my next car will be silver for that reason--the parking lot at work got restripped and I swear my car has sprouted several new door dings as a result. It certainly won't be white as that shows everything.

What would be nice is a non-black interior on cheapo cars. I can't see the outside of the car while driving, but sure can see the interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back