The Chinese version of Western food

Chino Bandito in Phoenix. I get it every time i visit my parents. The owner is Mexican, his wife is Chinese. Sounds odd at first but the place is always full of people.

Yeah - fusion cuisine. We've got a few weird ones, like Avatars Punjabi Burritos. There was a food truck that served fusion Korean called Seoul on Wheels.

o.jpg

Here's Avatars logo:

AvatarsPunjabiBurritos_574_Larkspur_CA.png

Panda, you must work and eat lunch close to where I do. Ranch 99/McCarthy Ranch is just an exit down from me.

I had a similar pork chop casserole that was just the chop covered with a creamy/runny custard-like orange-colored sauce. Kind of looked like buffalo wing sauce. I couldn't figure out what the sauce was; I think it was made with carrots. Definitetly didn't taste like tomato. It really didn't taste like anything.
21.gif

Being Asian, I naturally eat crazy stuff so I was surprised that I didn't really care for it.
Ranch 99, where the customers fill their take-out containers to the brim and then proceed to balance another 8-inch pile of food on top . And they get away with it. I used to get some fried rice and chicken for lunch there but eventually lost my appetite.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Dogs are Korean cuisine. You can find it in some places in Northern China but it's not widely available.

If you want barbaric cuisine then you should learn about fresh monkey brain eating when the monkey is itself alive and screaming. It's banned but I have heard that rich people still do it - they travel to Thailand or somewhere in that region to eat it.

Maybe Pandabear can shed some light.

I haven't heard much about monkey brain eating from anyone I know. It is too disgusting even for the citizen of China. Now dog eating. Most of the food dog were raised in farm and aren't available on the street like beef or pork. According to some of my Taiwanese friends, western dogs like Lab or Shiatsu (spelling?) taste bad, and only the local domestic Chinese dog taste good. So you can rest assured that your little ginger and pinky at home are safe.

Shar Pei's? I can send some off
LOL.gif

Think he means Shih Tzu. Americanized Chinese dogs. :)

I've visited parts of Asia before and sometimes things were a little bit different. My Chinese friends tell me that KFC is better because they use different breeds of chicken and not the relatively flavorless broilers grown in the US. McDonald's might have interesting differences such as mango soft serve instead of vanilla. Perhaps the oddest was getting a combo pizza at Pizza Hut. It had these canned yellow button mushrooms. They're kind of rubbery and have a different flavor than European white button mushrooms.

Heck - I was in Shanghai once on a business trip where I was walking past an "Italian" restaurant. There was a group of people speaking Italian outside smoking. Not sure it was authentic, but I guess they were willing to try it.

There are all sorts of hybrids that I've tried. How about Indian Chinese food? I'm still not sure what chicken Manchurian is supposed to be. There's also some legend about Chinese diplomats at an embassy being taken to one of these restaurants in India, where they asked "What part of India is this food from?" That's really what many around the world might think if they came to the US and saw what we would call "Italian" or "Chinese".

Last time I had KFC was in China about 5 years ago. It was really good. KFC is number 1 restaurant in China. Very popular!

Was in Osaka a few years ago and ate dinner in an Italian restaurant. Was really good. They had a whole prosciutto sitting in the middle of the dining room on a special stand and they'd slice some off for me now and then. Good stuff.

OP, that **** is whack as hell. But that’s OK. Things were different in...TWO THOUSAND AND NINE. Jeez, you freaking thread necromancers!

You don’t need to go to a big city for good dim sum. While Boston China town is the bees knees, at least one local place here in CT has great dim sum, though you see any little old ladies with carts.

OP, that **** is whack as hell. But that’s OK. Things were different in...TWO THOUSAND AND NINE. Jeez, you freaking thread necromancers!

You don’t need to go to a big city for good dim sum. While Boston China town is the bees knees, at least one local place here in CT has great dim sum, though you see any little old ladies with carts.

Yeah - but no places these days do it the old fashioned way, which is to count the number of plates, baskets, etc. These days someone marks a check and the bill is totaled up later. There's this legendary floating restaurant just off Hong Kong Island called Jumbo Floating Restaurant, that has tables near open windows. Before they switched to marking the check, they apparently lost a lot of plates that were thrown out the window into the Aberdeen South Typhoon Shelter to reduce the bill.

slide_01.jpg

Pork chops with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. That's the way to roll. The sweetness of the pork pairs perfectly with the tartness of the kraut. The thought of pork chops with tomato sauce makes me gag.
When I grew up Pork chop goes with caramelized onion, or fried with bread crumbs Japanese style, or as a casserole above. I had no idea what sauerkraut was and to be honest I was freaked out about it. I am ok with it now but I was always worried if something rotten was going on there.

The tomato sauce in Chinese food aren't the pasta sauce sour, they are more like a cream of tomato flavor and texture (it is actually mostly chicken soup with tomato cooked in it).

Ranch 99, where the customers fill their take-out containers to the brim and then proceed to balance another 8-inch pile of food on top . And they get away with it. I used to get some fried rice and chicken for lunch there but eventually lost my appetite.
Ranch 99 Chinese food is like the Jack in the Box Taco, or Safeway's BBQ chicken wing after being 8 hours under the heat lamp, they are not real and they are the lowest quality stuff grocery coupon can buy. I personally don't eat them, but when they give you $1 deli coupon every $20 you spend, and you can either throw it away or buy a few bucks of stuff, that's the kind of things you tolerate.

Some grandma I know really love to cook and they buy 5x more stuff than me, so their coupons really add up to something.

Last time I had KFC was in China about 5 years ago. It was really good. KFC is number 1 restaurant in China. Very popular!

Was in Osaka a few years ago and ate dinner in an Italian restaurant. Was really good. They had a whole prosciutto sitting in the middle of the dining room on a special stand and they'd slice some off for me now and then. Good stuff.
Last time I was in KFC in China was in the airport, they have this thing called beef pentagon, sort of wrapped like a quesadilla without cheese and grilled like a grilled burrito at Taco Bell. The beef is sort of a spicy version of some stir fry beef in there. The combo come with a soy milk (original flavor, taste more nutty than the American version that tries to taste like dairy milk) and they went well together.

They don't really call them Kentucky Fried Chicken, their trademark is just, Kentucky. So they are free to do whatever they want, and adapt to locals preference.

How about Indian Chinese food? I'm still not sure what chicken Manchurian is supposed to be. There's also some legend about Chinese diplomats at an embassy being taken to one of these restaurants in India, where they asked "What part of India is this food from?" That's really what many around the world might think if they came to the US and saw what we would call "Italian" or "Chinese".

I've had Indian Chinese food back in Diwali and I couldn't recognized them when I first eat, then it strike me they aren't usual Indian food, sort of a mystery food kind of thought. Then I saw fortune cookie and I realized they are "Chinese".

I once went to the cafeteria and had this chicken wing dish, I ask the chef what's that, and he said it is Indian Chinese. I ask my Indian coworker next to me is that right? He said it is American food.

Yeah - but no places these days do it the old fashioned way, which is to count the number of plates, baskets, etc. These days someone marks a check and the bill is totaled up later. There's this legendary floating restaurant just off Hong Kong Island called Jumbo Floating Restaurant, that has tables near open windows. Before they switched to marking the check, they apparently lost a lot of plates that were thrown out the window into the Aberdeen South Typhoon Shelter to reduce the bill.

slide_01.jpg
What do you expect when home affordability is the 2nd worst in the world and income didn't catch up? These days if you want real retro cuisine, you need to go to Macau.

What do you expect when home affordability is the 2nd worst in the world and income didn't catch up? These days if you want real retro cuisine, you need to go to Macau.

I knew a few people from Macau. One was a classmate in grad school. Another was a coworker. Kind of strange too considering how small Macau is. I had some friends and coworkers from Hong Kong, and one said that if they were bored they would just go to Macau.

They don't really call them Kentucky Fried Chicken, their trademark is just, Kentucky. So they are free to do whatever they want, and adapt to locals preference.

Are they a franchise of KFC? The KFC’s I’ve been to just say KFC and their menu is pretty consistent with perhaps a few localized customizations.

In the Philippines spaghetti is super popular so they have a fried chicken and spaghetti meal. Of course rice is available too.

Are they a franchise of KFC? The KFC’s I’ve been to just say KFC and their menu is pretty consistent with perhaps a few localized customizations.

In the Philippines spaghetti is super popular so they have a fried chicken and spaghetti meal. Of course rice is available too.

I've seen that on the menu at Jollibee. I asked a friend from the Philippines what he'd categorize Jollibee as, and he said it was more like the Philippines version of McDonald's.

chickspag-1.png

It's a fully licensed company called Yum China that was spun off from the American parent company. Not sure how many locations are company owned vs franchised. While in the US they're going back to using the full "Kentucky Fried Chicken" name, the branding is still mostly "KFC" in China. I've heard a few people talk about it in passing although my Chinese isn't very good. I think the primary description would translate as "Kentucky Chicken" leaving out any mention of it being fried. I can't read Chinese very well, but my Google Translate app with the visual translation features claims that their entrance sign translates to "KFC", although I'm not sure if it's phonetic or something else.

1024px-KFC_at_Qianmen_%2820200904130834%29.jpg

I played around with Google Translate and enter "KFC" to see what it translates to in Chinese. Once you have that, it gets kind of interesting. I get "肯德基" (Kěndéjī). I think it's a somewhat phonetic translation of Kentucky, although there's a different word for chicken - 鸡 (jī) that sounds really close to the last syllable with slightly different tone. My Chinese is atrocious, but I've heard Chinese people mention that enough that it sounded like the name was a hybrid of phonetic and literal to the point where I though it was about chicken.

I've seen that on the menu at Jollibee. I asked a friend from the Philippines what he'd categorize Jollibee as, and he said it was more like the Philippines version of McDonald's.

I’ve eaten there too. It’s pretty decent for fast food. I know they have some outlets in the US in select areas. Fried chicken is super popular there.

I understood that the McDonalds in the Philippines used Australian beef.

When I was a kid the advertisement they translated it to Kentucky hometown chicken and everyone just call it Kentucky. The only 2 things famous for in Kentucky were the Derby and the chicken in Hong Kong. In China I'm sure they only know the chicken.

I think back then they were the only place with mash potatoes and corn on the cob, everyone else can make fried chicken as that's nothing special about it. These days I heard they were famous for cream of mushroom soup over rice.

Last edited:
When I was a kid the advertisement they translated it to Kentucky hometown chicken and everyone just call it Kentucky. The only 2 things famous for in Kentucky were the Derby and the chicken in Hong Kong. In China I'm sure they only know the chicken.

I think back then they were the only place with mash potatoes and corn on the cob, everyone else can make fried chicken as that's nothing special about it. These days I heard they were famous for cream of mushroom soup over rice.

Like I noted, my Chinese comprehension is atrocious. When I heard "Kěndéjī" I thought it was some play on words meaning "Kentucky chicken".

At least in the US, Kentucky is known for Kentucky Fried Chicken, The Kentucky Derby, college basketball (University of Kentucky and University of Louisville), Muhammed Ali, Louisville Slugger baseball bats, and Bourbon whiskey.

Wild_Turkey_101_Bourbon_def_thumb.jpg

And the ironic thing about KFC was that Harlan Sanders was from Indiana.

Back