The Chinese version of Western food

Just for a laugh, there is a Chinese version of the Western version of the Chinese food: Western Fried Rice.

IT REALLY EXISTS!

Looks somewhat like jambalaya.

Of course anything with cheese is not really Chinese. Indo-Chinese food may include paneer. And the weirdest may be crab rangoon, where no way would anyone in China have chosen to put cream cheese in anything unless it was supposed to be "foreign". I've had "cheesecake" in China, and it was really just more of a cake than anything else, while traditional cheesecake is really just a pie.

Looks somewhat like jambalaya.

Of course anything with cheese is not really Chinese. Indo-Chinese food may include paneer. And the weirdest may be crab rangoon, where no way would anyone in China have chosen to put cream cheese in anything unless it was supposed to be "foreign". I've had "cheesecake" in China, and it was really just more of a cake than anything else, while traditional cheesecake is really just a pie.
I don't think hot dog + ketchup + mixed vegetable + sliced ham + mold it in a cup then on a plate = Jambalaya.

I don't think hot dog + ketchup + mixed vegetable + sliced ham + mold it in a cup then on a plate = Jambalaya.

You'd be surprised how much that looks like jambalaya with tomato.

J-Afdbi1Jiq5r-jUwBzbfT5zAwMnzBM0TT7mpwNqyoFOrvZR7eV3GW9j-s53a5QbmyXPv_RWKy8TjrA_YRXXCiOX2oPe0_Eu5NsEFp8=w600-rj-l68-e365

Originally Posted By: Fester
LOL. Cheese is revolting, but Cat/Dog is yummy.
20.gif

I think they know, their cheese has concentrated melamine.

Can you imagine how they make cheese over there, festering vats of curd in the hen house.
37.gif

I wouldn't eat it either.

Dogs are Korean cuisine. You can find it in some places in Northern China but it's not widely available.

If you want barbaric cuisine then you should learn about fresh monkey brain eating when the monkey is itself alive and screaming. It's banned but I have heard that rich people still do it - they travel to Thailand or somewhere in that region to eat it.

Maybe Pandabear can shed some light.
Risky practice. Good way to catch an infectious prion (Think Mad Cow or Kreutzfeld-Jakob Disease).

I think Toyota should be to blame for Japan’s fixation on KFC. After all, the Japanese are fixated on Western things and brand names(hence Alpine, Lexus, lululemon[they are Canadian, I know] and Roland, the Japanese can’t pronounce the letter L). Some Toyota employee flying back and forth between Tokyo or Nagoya and LA or Cincinnati(near their Kentucky plant what was in construction in the 1980s) discovered the joy of KFC and the Americana aspect of it. 🙂

Risky practice. Good way to catch an infectious prion (Think Mad Cow or Kreutzfeld-Jakob Disease).
I have only heard of the urban legend of eating monkey brain when they are still alive. This is a horror story like Silent of the Lamb, but we never know of anyone going on a tour to eat monkey brain.

The method my elementary school teacher told us, was they have a table open up and then lock the monkey's neck in the hole of the table, then open up the monkey's skull to expose the brain, and then you eat the monkey's brain when the monkey is screaming for its life. (I am older now and I think she was just messing with us 3rd graders for fun). I do not think anyone would enjoy it. The closest I have seen video of Japanese restaurant serving a frog still staring at you when you are eating its flesh on a dish of sashimi, it is still gross but not as much as monkey brain gross. I don't think most Japanese enjoy this kind of sashimi either nor is it common practice. This is definitely not a "common" thing, at all.

Aren't a large percentage of the Chinese lactose intolerant so cannot eat cheese? I remember seeing cheese only in pizza places and chain restaurants like TGI Fridays in China.

Not at all. You have to remember it borders Mongolia and Siberia / Russia. What do you think Mongolians and Tibetans eat and drink when they are nomadic? Their genetics do get passed down south over generations.

As far south as Macau there are deserts made of milk and ginger, and they also have a "cheese" that's made of buffalo milk and vinegar.

Not at all. You have to remember it borders Mongolia and Siberia / Russia. What do you think Mongolians and Tibetans eat and drink when they are nomadic? Their genetics do get passed down south over generations.

As far south as Macau there are deserts made of milk and ginger, and they also have a "cheese" that's made of buffalo milk and vinegar.

I think younger children more exposed to dairy are less lactose intolerant than older people who never grew up with dairy. I've certainly been to parts of China and other Chinese-speaking regions where there's actually quite a bit of dairy. They're using a lot of more baby formula, with the majority being made with dairy. Certainly there was the 2008 Sanlu dairy adulteration scandal where powdered milk for use in infant formula was adulterated with melamine to make it cheaper and to fool their basic protein tests.

When I've visited families in China, some got daily deliveries of yogurt. And there's more adventurous locals who are trying things like cheese (especially on pizzas) or on European style foods. And my friends from Taiwan tell me that dairy has been very common there for decades.

Back