The Chinese version of Western food

Pork chop and rice casserole: The Chinese version of Western food. You can probably found it in some small restaurant in China town or near a Ranch99 (Chinese grocery store in America).

Basically, a fried rice dish with pork chop, covered with Campbell tomato soup and cheese, and baked till it is done.

My favorite is the seafood version with white sauce and cheese topping.

DSC03252.JPG

I had the American verison of Chinese beef and vegetables in curry sauce with steamed rice tonite. How Su Ji Lah!

Actually it was the American version of a Chinese version of a a Hindu dish. With beef of course. I don't know maybe curry is Scottish for all I know! I'll just say I had Curry Beef cooked by a guy who speaks Cantonese but was born in Vietnam.

Anyways...the curry was delicous!
20.gif

I guess PandaBear, Hong Kong Chinese think Americans eat cheese with every meal. The Chinese people I worked for only ate cheese one way. On pizza. Any other way scared the heck outta them. I didn't quite get how they loved pizza but a plain block of cheddar was revolting.

Ah well...by the way my wife had steamed vegetables with curry sauce. The Chinese are always willing to customize any of their dishes to suit her vegetarian needs.

Classic.

I remember a Chinese mainland girl (who had never even been to Hong Kong) telling me how terrible western food (xi fan) is. These types of dishes are the thing she is talking about!

Excellent post.

Aren't a large percentage of the Chinese lactose intolerant so cannot eat cheese? I remember seeing cheese only in pizza places and chain restaurants like TGI Fridays in China.

LOL. Cheese is revolting, but Cat/Dog is yummy.
20.gif

I think they know, their cheese has concentrated melamine.

Can you imagine how they make cheese over there, festering vats of curd in the hen house.
37.gif

I wouldn't eat it either.

Last edited:
Due to the low volume of cheese consumption, most are imported from Australia.

Chinese aren't all lactose intolerant, we have many centuries of intermix with the westerner via silk road and our neighbor Russia. As an example my Chinese wife is naturally brunette due to her family being from the North and at least 1 of her great grand father being Russian.

We usually tolerate light flavored cheese like Swiss and Mozzarella, even on pizza. The first time I have cheddar on a burger in Hard Rock Cafe in the US, I almost vomit.

Originally Posted By: Fester
LOL. Cheese is revolting, but Cat/Dog is yummy.
20.gif

I think they know, their cheese has concentrated melamine.

Can you imagine how they make cheese over there, festering vats of curd in the hen house.
37.gif

I wouldn't eat it either.

Dogs are Korean cuisine. You can find it in some places in Northern China but it's not widely available.

If you want barbaric cuisine then you should learn about fresh monkey brain eating when the monkey is itself alive and screaming. It's banned but I have heard that rich people still do it - they travel to Thailand or somewhere in that region to eat it.

Maybe Pandabear can shed some light.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

Dogs are Korean cuisine. You can find it in some places in Northern China but it's not widely available.

If you want barbaric cuisine then you should learn about fresh monkey brain eating when the monkey is itself alive and screaming. It's banned but I have heard that rich people still do it - they travel to Thailand or somewhere in that region to eat it.

I haven't heard much about monkey brain eating from anyone I know. It is too disgusting even for the citizen of China. Now dog eating. Most of the food dog were raised in farm and aren't available on the street like beef or pork. According to some of my Taiwanese friends, western dogs like Lab or Shiatsu (spelling?) taste bad, and only the local domestic Chinese dog taste good. So you can rest assured that your little ginger and pinky at home are safe.

Panda, you must work and eat lunch close to where I do. Ranch 99/McCarthy Ranch is just an exit down from me.

I had a similar pork chop casserole that was just the chop covered with a creamy/runny custard-like orange-colored sauce. Kind of looked like buffalo wing sauce. I couldn't figure out what the sauce was; I think it was made with carrots. Definitetly didn't taste like tomato. It really didn't taste like anything.
21.gif

Being Asian, I naturally eat crazy stuff so I was surprised that I didn't really care for it.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
Panda, you must work and eat lunch close to where I do. Ranch 99/McCarthy Ranch is just an exit down from me.

I had a similar pork chop casserole that was just the chop covered with a creamy/runny custard-like orange-colored sauce. Kind of looked like buffalo wing sauce. I couldn't figure out what the sauce was; I think it was made with carrots. Definitetly didn't taste like tomato. It really didn't taste like anything.
21.gif

Being Asian, I naturally eat crazy stuff so I was surprised that I didn't really care for it.

From what I know the tomato sauce must be very diluted, with water, corn starch, and oil. Sort of like a tomato gravy, and every restaurant does it differently.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I haven't heard much about monkey brain eating from anyone I know. It is too disgusting even for the citizen of China. Now dog eating. Most of the food dog were raised in farm and aren't available on the street like beef or pork. According to some of my Taiwanese friends, western dogs like Lab or Shiatsu (spelling?) taste bad, and only the local domestic Chinese dog taste good. So you can rest assured that your little ginger and pinky at home are safe.

Shar Pei's? I can send some off
LOL.gif

I saw skinned dogs hanging in an open air butcher shop in Guilin in 1996.

As a white guy who grew up in the North East with little cultural experiences, I really enjoyed going to Chinatown in Houston.

Great time, excellent food and pretty cheap for what you get. Recommend Dim Sum to anyone.

Went with some friends who know what they are getting, and went with the flow.

Ended up finishing the night with Chinese foot massages, and Green tea ice cream.

I'll go back several times a year, its a really nice area.

I've visited parts of Asia before and sometimes things were a little bit different. My Chinese friends tell me that KFC is better because they use different breeds of chicken and not the relatively flavorless broilers grown in the US. McDonald's might have interesting differences such as mango soft serve instead of vanilla. Perhaps the oddest was getting a combo pizza at Pizza Hut. It had these canned yellow button mushrooms. They're kind of rubbery and have a different flavor than European white button mushrooms.

Heck - I was in Shanghai once on a business trip where I was walking past an "Italian" restaurant. There was a group of people speaking Italian outside smoking. Not sure it was authentic, but I guess they were willing to try it.

There are all sorts of hybrids that I've tried. How about Indian Chinese food? I'm still not sure what chicken Manchurian is supposed to be. There's also some legend about Chinese diplomats at an embassy being taken to one of these restaurants in India, where they asked "What part of India is this food from?" That's really what many around the world might think if they came to the US and saw what we would call "Italian" or "Chinese".

Chino Bandito in Phoenix. I get it every time i visit my parents. The owner is Mexican, his wife is Chinese. Sounds odd at first but the place is always full of people.

Back