The Case For The 3,000 Mile Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the Valvoline Limited Engine Guarantee requires you to change the oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
Are you a NORMAL or SEVERE driver? Take the test:
NORMAL SEVERE
You drive mostly longer trips on highways +
You drive mostly in moderate temperatures year-round +
You drive at sustained highway speeds during hot weather +
You take multiple short trips +
You spend a lot of time in stop-and-go traffic +
You drive in very cold and/or very hot temperatures +
You drive often under dusty conditions +
You often tow or carry heavy loads +

Like most U.S. drivers -- more than 80% of drivers, according to a recent State of California study, drive under SEVERE conditions, as defined in most owners’ manuals. IN OTHER WORDS, FOR MOST DRIVERS “SEVERE” IS “NORMAL.”

Sampling of Automaker oil change recommendations for NORMAL and SEVERE driving
AUTOMAKER NORMAL SEVERE
FORD 7,500 miles 3,000 miles
CHRYSLER 5,000 miles 3,000 miles
TOYOTA 5,000 miles 3,000 miles
NISSAN 7,500 miles 3,750 miles

NOTE: Typical automaker recommendations (can vary by model, engine, etc.)

A Word on Oil Change Indicator Lights

While we believe most consumers can rely on these indicator lights, we decided to stick with the 3,000 to 4,000 mile interval for the Valvoline Limited Engine Guarantee -- to be safe and reflect the way most people drive. Typically, such systems continuously monitor everything from vehicle speed, rpm, oil and coolant temperature – to calculate motor oil additive degradation. At Valvoline’s laboratory and engine testing facilities we’ve NEVER seen an engine failure when the oil is changed at 3,000 to 4,000 miles using quality Valvoline products.

Older vehicles, older recommendations

Want another reason to change the oil every 3,000 miles? The median age of passenger cars in operation in the U.S. was 9.4 years in 2008, according to R. L. Polk & Co. Just over 41 percent of all cars were 11 years or older. Automakers recommended the 3,000 mile oil change interval for most of those 100 million older cars and trucks.

"Based on the uncertainty of what the future holds, consumers are trying to keep their current vehicles running longer, until their confidence improves," said Dave Goebel, solutions consultant for Polk's aftermarket team.

It kind of gives you a new perspective on recent automaker recommendations that raised the oil change interval, doesn’t it?

We make it EASY to keep your car running great . . .

The Valvoline Limited Engine Guarantee makes it easy to remember to change your oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles. We send simple reminders to those who enroll their vehicles. Of course, we know with a busy schedule you can’t always change your oil at exactly 3,000 miles, so we allow you to change your oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles.
Why change the oil?

Oil is the lifeblood of your vehicle’s engine. Quality motor oil keeps engines clean by:

* Minimizing deposit formation;
* Reducing oil consumption by fighting volatility and oil evaporation;
* Resisting oil thickening by providing enhanced oxidation control;
* Suspending contaminants and keeping them from interfering with vital engine parts;
* Preventing sludge from forming;

Changing the oil and filter removes the suspended contaminants and replenishes the oil’s performance agents that get consumed.

Who says so?

The Car Care Council

The most recent National Car Care Month check lanes found that 32% of vehicles failed the inspection because of low, overfull or dirty motor oil. “The Car Care Council recommends changing your vehicle’s engine oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles depending on the vehicle’s make and model, how you drive the vehicle and the conditions under which you drive,” the Council stated. “Always consult the owner’s manual.” Regular maintenance involves more than oil changes, too. Routine maintenance helps keep the vehicle safe and can save money. “Since four out of five vehicles checked need some type of service, it’s important to remind motorists that those who keep their cars, treat them as valuable investments and commit to regular vehicle maintenance, end up saving a lot of money,” according to the Council.

National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE)

ASE's mission is to improve the quality of vehicle repair and service through the testing and certification of repair and service professionals. ASE recommends changing your oil and filter as specified in your manual – more often if your driving is mostly stop-and-go or consists of frequent short trips. The Valvoline/ASE Poll of the American Mechanic consistently finds that the nation’s top mechanics (ASE Certified Master Automobile Technicians) overwhelmingly recommend regular oil changes as the most important thing consumers can do to make their cars perform and last longer.
A Leading Consumer Advocacy Magazine

A 2002 report documented problems with sludge relative to specific engines made by several manufacturers. The magazine recommended changing the oil on the “extreme” (or “severe”) schedule to protect those engines from sludge.
Start Today!

Enroll your car or truck in the Valvoline Limited Engine Guarantee. Change your oil regularly – or have it changed at your favorite dealer, quick lube, repair shop or tire store. You will be making sure your engine lasts 150,000, 225,000 or 300,000 miles and beyond. Valvoline is there for the life of your engine!

RIGHT COST + REGULAR SERVICE + PREMIUM VALVOLINE PRODUCTS = LONGER LASTING VEHICLE = LOWER OVERALL COST OF OPERATION = SAVINGS!

http://www.engineguarantee.com/display_page

Thoughts?

33.gif

What's that smell? *sniffs*. Smells like a bull just defecated. That's my thoughts on their outdated tripe
lol.gif

UOAs all to the contrary.

They want to have their cake and eat it, too.

Produce and market a "premium" synthetic, and then tell people that they still have to OCI every 3k miles for a 300k mile warranty? Why spend the extra money on the lube if you could go just as far on a house-brand dino fluid? 150k mile warranty on their dino product? Heck, that can be done on ANY dino product meeting the OEM lube specs.

Further, they also know that PRECIOUS FEW people will ever comply with all the restrictions and limitations for the warranty such as registration, receipt storage, length of ownership for registrant, etc. Most people will either wreck or sell/trade the vehicle LONG before the Valvoline warranty were to be a real issue. Just realize that they have stacked the odds heavily in their favor.

Also, I don't agree with the California study. That might be true of people around heavy urban areas like LA, SD, SF and such, but many, many of us are "normal" in our "normal" driving pattern, and not "normal" in our "severe" pattern.

Most of us BITOGers realize that mileage limitations are in lieu of UOA evidence. Sure, compliance with warranty provisions is a must if you want the warranty to be intact. But I don't for one second believe that 3k mile OCIs are necessary for good engine health. They are simply necessary for the Valvoline Extended Warranty.

Plus, did you read all the fine print? You must use vehicle OEM qualifying parts; that means no special oiled-air filters, no special tuners, etc. Stock is as Stock does.

Interesting that they will warrant the provisions if you use (what can be implied to be) ANY brand oil or air filter, as long as that manufacturer of the fitler would warrant said product for the application. In other words, you can use a Wix, a Fram, a Purolator, etc as long as it's the correct one for your engine application. Isn't that an acknowledgement of sorts that any product meeting the OEM design specs will suffice for "normal" service? So could I not infer that ANY brand of dino would take my car to 150k miles? ANY brand of semi-syn would suffice for 225k miles? ANY brand of synthetic would protect for 300k miles? Not that other brands of oil would suffice for the Valvoline warrnaty. My thrust here is that Valvoline recognizes that OEM design specs are good for nearly all applications, and any product meeting those specs should suffice for "normal" operation.

These warranty offerings are great marketing for Valvoline, but they are nothing special in reality. Most any of today's engines can do these mileages, and OCIing every 3k miles on SynPower is a huge waste of money. The odds of warranty denial are in their favor. And the odds are low-risk for ANY lube related incident, regardless of base stock used.

Last edited:
Clearly, it is a method for Valvoline to sell more motor oil.

A more honest approach to a warranty would be to simply require that the user perform all maintenance at the manufacturer's recommended intervals.

On the Altima, I have a lifetime powertrain warranty from Fidelity. It was included with the purchase at no charge. The warranty only requires me to perform all maintenance at the manufacturer's specified intervals.

I have read a lot of stuff in here, but I only change my oil every 10,000 miles, M1, 10/30. I run the u know what out of my van, getting ready to turn over 200,000 miles. No Sunday School driving for me. Its a dodge 318. No Japanese sewing machine engines can do what Ive got to do, so I need a good oil and m1 does it. I too once owned a [censored] trap, yep they run a long time, but I wasn't doing nothing but the married thing, store, visits, the usual running around thing, so u could use dollar general oil if u want with the 3000 oci thing, hey 2 bucks a qt ain't bad for that..................

I shall continue to live dangerously with PP 5w30 at a 6,000 mile interval, doing mostly short trips. Ooh.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

You drive mostly in moderate temperatures year-round

This part makes no sense to me. If the temps are moderate why would it be considered severe driving?
Or was this statement supposed to be under the "normal" section?

Bah! I will use the factory oil change indicator and UOA's to determine my oil changes. Twice a year or up to 10kmiles for the Ford Explorer with PP5w20 and twice a year or when the oil change indicator lights up(2500-6000) on the Jeep Wrangler with whatever 5w20 I get on sale(QS green bottle to Napa Syn)
I belive I will have many failures of other parts b efore my engines ever give me an issue.

They're the manufacturer and they would know how many miles their product will last. ;-> If you want your oil to further than 3-4000 miles then choose some other or any other brand. It's as simple as that.

Sampling of Automaker oil change recommendations for NORMAL and SEVERE driving
AUTOMAKER NORMAL SEVERE
FORD 7,500 miles 3,000 miles
CHRYSLER 5,000 miles 3,000 miles
TOYOTA 5,000 miles 3,000 miles
NISSAN 7,500 miles 3,750 miles

Toyota in 2005 dropped any severe comments. ALL of their vehicles no matter service conditions the OCI is 5k or 6months. I've posted the page in the manual here too many times.

Take care, bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Toyota in 2005 dropped any severe comments. ALL of their vehicles no matter service conditions the OCI is 5k or 6months. I've posted the page in the manual here too many times.

Take care, bill

Ford's OCI is 5k as well, and 7500 for normal service.

Lame. The case for the 3,000 mile oil change is weak.

Valvoline just wants to sell more oil via their quick lubes.

Originally Posted By: buster
Lame. The case for the 3,000 mile oil change is weak.

The case for the 3,000 mile oil change is profit.

John

On the Altima, I have a lifetime powertrain warranty from Fidelity. It was included with the purchase at no charge. The warranty only requires me to perform all maintenance at the manufacturer's specified intervals.

I realize this is Off Topic, but can you give me a summary of this? Who is Fidelity? What is considered lifetime; is it like lifetime fill fluids or 80 years if you live that long? Original owner only I assume?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back