The BREW (3:1 Schaeffers 132 to LC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I now have UOA back on three different engines using the Brew. One a 7500 mile OCI with the brew placed in at approx. 3500 miles and 1 oz of LC added every 1000 miles, another placed in at the OC with a 3100 miles sample and the third, UOA I will post soon, is a 11,200 mile run with the Brew placed in at 6000 miles and 1 oz of LC every 1000 miles or so.

Amsoil 10W30 used in all three with Amsoil oil filters. In every UOA the wear metals improved over previous UOA. However, in every one also the #132 appeared to increase the viscosity to a 40W, my 11,200 mile sample being the highest at 76. However, even with the higher weight the wear metals definitely decreased in all three.

On the two that were added half way through the OCI the Brew was placed in the new oil from the start this time. LC will continue to be added at 1 oz every 1000 miles or so.

As Amsoil is a higher viscosity 30W to begin with I am questioning the use of the #132 as not being needed but it does not seem to affect wear and in 2 of the 3 engines a 40w is an alternative in my climate.

The 11,200 mile run on the Buick had no filter change and only enough oil was drianed off to add the brew at the half way point.

If you are using Amsoil in a high mileage, worn engine and their 5w-30/10w-30 is not thick enough, I'd simply use their excellent 10w-40, which is the same price. If anything the 10w-40 is a bit more robust, since it use an SL/CI-4 additive chemistry that is also suitable for diesel engines ....In older engines, you get more blowby, so the HD diesel engine oils would actually be preferred. The best Mobil product for high mileage motors is their Delvac 1, 5w-40 ....

I strongly recommend my Amsoil customers NOT dope their oil, or try to play organic chemist.

Tooslick
www.lubedealer.com/Dixie_Synthetics

quote:

In every UOA the wear metals improved over previous UOA. However, in every one also the #132 appeared to increase the viscosity to a 40W, my 11,200 mile sample being the highest at 76. However, even with the higher weight the wear metals definitely decreased in all three.

"Appeared" is the keyword here. After-the-fact UOA's tell you nothing about oil thickening with mixes or brews. One should always send in a VOA of the mix or brew they intend to use for their next oil charge so the mix (especially its viscosity) can be compared against the resulting UOA.

I am not suprized by the decrease in wear metals, since the #132 has ingredients that Amsoil does not.

Even when Amsoil is "contaminated" with a little MoTDC it seems to do well!
grin.gif

quote:

As Amsoil is a higher viscosity 30W to begin with I am questioning the use of the #132 as not being needed but it does not seem to affect wear and in 2 of the 3 engines a 40w is an alternative in my climate.

The amount of #132 for Amsoil, and other heavier 30 weights, was 25 mL/Quart with the same ratio of LC. So for a 6-pack (quart) engine for example, you would need 150 mL (5 oz.) of #132 and 50 mL (1 1/2 oz.) of LC.

[ December 01, 2003, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back