"THE BLOTTER TEST"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard a few people mention the blotter test, where you take a drop of oil, place it on card stock, and see how dirty?, discolored? the oil is and if the card is charcoal/black in the center, you've gone too long. My assertion is that the color of oil has no real bearing on its condition and that this test is essentially ridiculous. Am I on the right track, or misguided?

You've oversimplified the blotter test. Here is a good description.

With the blotter test you can get a handle on dispersancy failure, glycol in the oil, fuel in the oil, and severely oxidized oil.

Originally Posted By: OldCowboy
You've oversimplified the blotter test. Here is a good description.

With the blotter test you can get a handle on dispersancy failure, glycol in the oil, fuel in the oil, and severely oxidized oil.

Wow! I didn't know that page existed. Validated some of the "old school" methods I've been taught.

I still have questions about validity of this test. Maybe someone has completed a comparison of the drops and the corresponding UOA.

Tom you try a blotter test and keep count for 2 days how many times you look at the card.lol

Originally Posted By: TomYoung
I still have questions about validity of this test. Maybe someone has completed a comparison of the drops and the corresponding UOA.

That would be too costly.

I keep a stack of old business cards and do the blotter test every 1,000 to 2,000 km, particularly on the L67 (will do the LIM gaskets soon, I promise).

As to the colour ?

I just sponsored (through work), a super advanced blotter test for analysing steam turbine oils for varnishing and sludging.

A sample of oil is drawn through a membrane, and then washed with toluene and petroleum spirits to remove the oil, and only leave the oxidation products.

This is then colour compared against a fresh membrane that has been washed in the same solvents, and the delta E value reflects the degree of oil degradation...darker is worser.

Thesis proved that a desktop scanner, and GIMP were nearly good enough to do a lab like analysis, some extra colour manipulation software makes it near perfect.

So yes, oil colour, and blotter tests can tell you about how the oil has degraded in service...and alert you to other stuff into the bargain.

Hi,
Shannow _ I agree with your comments.

I've used the blotter test since the 1960s. Not so much now but it's always been a great "remote location" oil condition report tool - if you know how to use them correctly.

And we still have a few remote locations in OZ!!

Might just pick up a stack of white business cards.
thumbsup2.gif

Hi,
Itslimjim - While all blotters will work to a degree, the appropriate ones are those that have a special formulation. And yes, Oil Companies did give them out as "business cards" to Commercial customers - they may still do!

I commenced using them via Shell in the high Southern Alps of NZ in the early 1960s. Great for checking engine lubricanst and transmission-driveline oils for water and etc in Dozers, Scrapers etc!

Doesn't hurt.
the first 1,000km is probably nearly as good.

In the turbine oil case, the as delivered oil is kept (in a file in the com) as a baseline, so that ageing of the patch doesn't affect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back