The bleeping confusion of key fob programming...does anyone have expertise on this topic?

I have posted on other forums, made calls to Autel, local locksmiths and even the local Batteries Plus. Autel of course wants to sell me their $3000 programmer, the locksmiths won't tell me anything about the process and the guys at Batteries Plus are like 'well, if you bring in your own fob that you purchased online, we can't guarantee it will work but you'll still have to pay for us trying".

Is it worth trying to a DIYer with programming Fobs? Do you have to spend thousands to get one that does not have limitations with Makes and years, etc?

I found detailed instructions on a model-specific forum when I had to program a new fob for a Pontiac Vibe. It was tedious, but worked once I cleaned up the formatting in a Word document and printed the instructions.

Post your vehicle info and maybe somebody here will be able to help.

I was programming a new GM replacement, not an aftermarket fob.

Last edited:
My opinion is no. I recently got a duplicate key fob for a 2012 Cruze done for $125, from my trusted locksmith. Took about 15 mins plus travel time. It was identical to the one I got with the car and worked fine. To me, that was much easier than ordering one on line and then trying to get someone to program it.

I have posted on other forums, made calls to Autel, local locksmiths and even the local Batteries Plus. Autel of course wants to sell me their $3000 programmer, the locksmiths won't tell me anything about the process and the guys at Batteries Plus are like 'well, if you bring in your own fob that you purchased online, we can't guarantee it will work but you'll still have to pay for us trying".

Is it worth trying to a DIYer with programming Fobs? Do you have to spend thousands to get one that does not have limitations with Makes and years, etc?

Well, they really cannot guarantee it will work. They don't know if it's good, etc. You are paying them for their time regardless if you got the right fob, key, etc.

Their stance doesn't seem unreasonable.

Well, they really cannot guarantee it will work. They don't know if it's good, etc. You are paying them for their time regardless if you got the right fob, key, etc.

Their stance doesn't seem unreasonable.

Seems a bit unreasonable to me because with their screen replacement service, you are not charged for their time if they are not successful. I don't understand the disparity in that policy.

If you have two working key fobs then typically programming a third is not a big deal. If you own a Ford then use Forscan, I was down to one working key fob and Forscan programmed the new one in a few minutes. The local locksmith cut the actual key for free.

My only suggestion is to make sure the locksmith you trust to cut the key on a $100 blank key fob is top notch and adjusts his key cutting machines to be in spec every few months. Nothing like a hack locksmith to ruin a very expensive blank.

What car are we talking about?
The older Toyota is very easy to program, the key fob and the transponder key.
The newer Toyota needs Techstream or some type programmer from China.

I am not familiar with other brand so if you don't put on the car of your interest, it will be a useless discussion because they are different with different ways to program them.

Here is the thing, if you can DIY, Youtube probably have somebody showing you how to do it.
If not, then you probably need a special tool.

Are you wanting to do this as a job or a service you provide ?

the guys at Batteries Plus are like 'well, if you bring in your own fob that you purchased online, we can't guarantee it will work but you'll still have to pay for us trying".
Can't fathom why you take issue with this. Take a (broken) part to a car mechanic and he or she will install it and charge you for the labor (some won't use customer-supplied parts) but when it's discovered the part is broken, they could charge you to remove it as well as to install part # 2 and they're 100% within their rights to do so.

Speaking of Batteries+, I took an OEM key fob that I bought elsewhere and they didn't hesitate to program it. It was still in a Nissan package and they saw it was an OEM piece. They told me flat out if it was a no-name knock-off, they would NOT program so they avoid the whole issue (and argument with the customer) if the key fob is junk.

My Lucerne is super easy, navigate the DIC until you get to remote learn, have all the remotes with you you want to program and go, you have to redo all of them when adding a new one.

I recently got a duplicate key fob for a 2012 Cruze done for $125, from my trusted locksmith. Took about 15 mins plus travel time. It was identical to the one I got with the car and worked fine. To me, that was much easier than ordering one on line and then trying to get someone to program it.
Those are like $50 from the dealer or $10 aftermarket, https://www.ebay.com/itm/2338959599...ke:GMC&hash=item3675491d8e:g:uQUAAOSwXChgKRbN and you can program them yourself.

Seems a bit unreasonable to me because with their screen replacement service, you are not charged for their time if they are not successful. I don't understand the disparity in that policy.
I suspect the screen replacement is with the screen they provide.
They have no control over the quality of items brought in by customers so I suspect the screen replacement guarantee is only if they provide a screen of their choosing.

Are you wanting to do this as a job or a service you provide ?

Can't fathom why you take issue with this. Take a (broken) part to a car mechanic and he or she will install it and charge you for the labor (some won't use customer-supplied parts) but when it's discovered the part is broken, they could charge you to remove it as well as to install part # 2 and they're 100% within their rights to do so.

Speaking of Batteries+, I took an OEM key fob that I bought elsewhere and they didn't hesitate to program it. It was still in a Nissan package and they saw it was an OEM piece. They told me flat out if it was a no-name knock-off, they would NOT program so they avoid the whole issue (and argument with the customer) if the key fob is junk.
Edit: Just frustrated with the prices but it is what it is.

How can they guarantee success when you supply an aftermarket fob that might not work?

Want guaranteed service? Stick with an OEM fob.

Lots of key fob programing threads here. This is my experience.

2005 Dodge Magnum, bought used in 2016. Came with one key (original). I bought a programmable key off eBay, got it cut, and the dealer programmed it for $80. Would not guarantee it would work, but it did. I later got another key from Amazon and programmed it myself per owners manual instructions. Fast forward to this year, I found myself locked out during an errand because the fob would not unlock the door and the keyhole was frozen after an ice storm. I called a family member who came out with a couple of keys, which didn't work either, so we came back the next day with some lock de-icer to get in. I still don't know why the fobs would not unlock the door, because mine worked on the morning it happened. Maybe the linkage froze while driving. Who knows. Anyway, I next discovered one of my extra keys didn't work anymore, even with a new battery, so I was back down to two and decided to get another programmable key from Amazon. That one wouldn't program, so I ordered the next cheapest option, a pair of keys of a different brand. One programmed okay, but the second didn't after many tries. The maximum number of keys that can be DIY programmed for these cars is eight, so I doubt I had reached the limit, but have no history from previous owners. This leads me to believe these aftermarket fob keys can be a crap-shoot. But searching the forums I learned you could program any number of keys for these cars with this software . Has anyone tried Appcar DiagFCA?
key1.jpg

It depends on the car. Newer cars need access to the immobilizer passwords/codes/seed values only the dealership or a NASTF-credentialed locksmith can access. You can buy access to the OE’s advanced-level diagnostics but it won’t have immobilizer or security information. It might not be too bad if you have all the keys/fobs and want to add an extra, but if you lost all keys and need to reprogram the PCM/immo unit, then you need access to that OE info.

Also, stick to OE or OE-approved(Strattec) fobs. Lately, Ace has been offering “clonable” keys/fobs from Ilco/Hillman. I’m leery on those.

Back