the BITOG prayers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not offended by it. The point I am making is it doesn't take much for a thread to be shut down by an administrator just for discussing an oil filter. A prayer shouldn't be altered and posted by an admin. as there may be some who have a problem with it.

I get enough humor when someone asks what brand they should get on a five dollar part.
We're on the same page. Tried to send you a PM but not allowed.

Well, I'm tempted to type "OMG- some of you need to lighten up", but then I'd get accused of invoking religion again ...

I am not the owner of this site, but I know and understand the owner's intentions of how we are expected to moderate this site. My initial post is not in violation of the spirit and intent of the "No RSP" (Religion, Sex, Politics) rules. This thread isn't about Religion, or at least it wasn't until some of you grossly misunderstood the general joke.

We don't ban people, nor do we delete posts, simply because a vague, generally common expression is uttered. When a member here has a loved one pass away, often many other members will say things like "our thoughts and prayers are there for you", or "we'll keep you in our prayers"; these are common ways to express sympathy and condolences. Also, at times someone might mention that they attended a parochial school, or that they live near a church. Again - these are types of general explanations which are only a nuance of an overall different conversation. We don't ban folks or delete threads for that kind stuff. We balance the words against the intent and content; then we may or may not take action.

The "religion" I refer to in this thread is that of the intense (and nearly deafening) singular mindset which some have regarding lubes, filters, etc. That's religion with a small-case "r", not Religion with an implication of deity. If you cannot tell the difference, then you're probably one of the folks I'm poking fun at in the first place.

I refuse to be the instrument of someone's cancel-culture efforts. The "prayers" in this thread are not Religious; they are a light-hearted joke IN THE HUMOR SECTION, for God's goodness sake. (see what I did there? I took a very common phase and made another example of my point).

I will, as a matter of transparency and self-accountability, report myself to the owner of the site and offer up my posterior for a good ol' fashioned whoopin', as I suspect that would make some of you feel better. I will also submit myself to a peer-review group. And finally, I will register for a sensitivity training session. (That's all sarcasm; another form of humor, for those who cannot recognize it when they read it ...)

To quote the maitre'd in FBDO ... "I weep for the future."

Your humble servant -
Dave

Last edited:
Well, I'm tempted to type "OMG- some of you need to lighten up", but then I'd get accused of invoking religion again ...

I am not the owner of this site, but I know and understand the owner's intentions of how we are expected to moderate this site. My initial post is not in violation of the spirit and intent of the "No RSP" (Religion, Sex, Politics) rules. This thread isn't about Religion, or at least it wasn't until some of you grossly misunderstood the general joke.

We don't ban people, nor do we delete posts, simply because a vague, generally common expression is uttered. When a member here has a loved one pass away, often many other members will say things like "our thoughts and prayers are there for you", or "we'll keep you in our prayers"; these are common ways to express sympathy and condolences. Also, at times someone might mention that they attended a parochial school, or that they live near a church. Again - these are types of general explanations which are only a nuance of an overall different conversation. We don't ban folks or delete threads for that kind stuff. We balance the words against the intent and content; then we may or may not take action.

The "religion" I refer to in this thread is that of the intense (and nearly deafening) singular mindset which some have regarding lubes, filters, etc. That's religion with a small-case "r", not Religion with an implication of deity. If you cannot tell the difference, then you're probably one of the folks I'm poking fun at in the first place.

I refuse to be the instrument of someone's cancel-culture efforts. The "prayers" in this thread are not Religious; they are a light-hearted joke IN THE HUMOR SECTION, for God's goodness sake. (see what I did there? I took a very common phase and made another example of my point).

I will, as a matter of transparency and self-accountability, report myself to the owner of the site and offer up my posterior for a good ol' fashioned whoopin', as I suspect that would make some of you feel better. I will also submit myself to a peer-review group. And finally, I will register for a sensitivity training session. (That's all sarcasm; another form of humor, for those who cannot recognize it when they read it ...)

To quote the maitre'd in FBDO ... "I weep for the future."

Your humble servant -
Dave

Well said. I was just having a conversation with a buddy of mine while fishing the other day. (Many of life’s issues get solved while fishing). We were discussing how we see an increase in the acidity of people’s personalities. If complaining were a career they'd be millionaires. People who look for fault will find it or find a way to materialize it when it’s not there. Humor is one thing we seem to be lacking these days.

I was raised in the Cathoilc church and attended Catholic schools for a few years.
While I do not subscribe to any organized religion, I have a deep respect for all of them.

I was somewhat shocked at this post. I do not make jokes out of people's religion.
That's my 2 cents.

I understand this post was not intended to be offensive and I mean no disrespect to @dnewton3 .
I absolutely believe the original post was made in humor and did not intend to offend anyone or to violate any rules.

Last edited:
I will state that the BITOG anthology is rather "witty." Observing the wording with a macro lense it is perfect for us BITOG OCD people. Lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back