The big 460 engine oil selection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also known as 7.5L. In a 10-year old F250. Has 50K miles. Used maybe 5K mis/year and most of it towing almost 10,000lbs. Not a daily driver.

Thus far I have been using good dino 10w-30. Wonder if Mobil 1 synthetic would benefit it, also 10w-30. Or is there an even better synthetic? Royal Purple maybe? If there is any benefit, then the cost is negligible in light of what professional engine service costs, what new vehicles cost (especially of that heavy-duty caliber) etc.

I have been trying to use the best components, best flter, best fluids, and more. I want to keep it as long as possible given low miles and have been doing a lot of preemptive work.

Anybody else with 460 in a heavy-duty truck?

I have an 86 F250 4x4 460, I would run synthetic in it in a heartbeat except I leak alittle oil at rear main seal & burn alittle due to a valve seal.
Synthetics would just magnify the problems. I do run synthenics in my wifes Dakota gear boxes & Engine. How I decided on an oil to use was #1 how available was the oil, could I go to my parts house or Wally World and buy it. #2 I had been running Valvoline Dino Oil for years with no problems, so my choice of synthetics was Valvoline. I do run sythetics in the gear boxes of my Ford heat reduction in rear end was great, so great it was easy to just feel the difference by touching the hubs when I stopped for gas etc.
Running synthetics in the Dodge made an remarkable difference in performance & gas mileage. I see alot on forums about which oil is best which filters are best. and I firmly believe that the way most of us use our vehicles that any brand oil or filter will work far beyond our ownership of that vehicle. I spent 30+ years as a mechanic.

cool.gif
Since most of its time is spent towing, I'd run a full syn 10w-30, 10w-40, or 15w-40 in summer.

I have alot of 460 experience in a ford F 350 van weighing 9,000 pounds with tools ,compressor and parts. 15w/40 works great .If the climate allows a 15w/40 . The 15w40 oils [ch4 or ci4] are incredable. If a full syn. oil is your choice I would recommend a 05w/40 or 15w/40 heavy duty oil . Using either type oil will have the engine running good when the body and suspension is worn out. I would use full syn in the differential a big trans cooler and change the trans oil every 15,000 mile if an auto. 460's are powerfull and get the same gas mileage as the small blocks in a loaded van.

[ January 18, 2004, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

HEY GUYS I HAVE A 90 FORD HIGH TOP CONVERSION VAN WITH A 351 IT HAS 120000 MILES I PUT MOBIL 1 1550 MIXED IN 2 QUARTS OF 1030 ALMOST RIGHT AFTER IT SMELLED LIKE IT WAS BURNING OIL EVEN THOUGH I SAW NO SMOKE AND IT TURNED BLACK WITHIN 1000 MILES IS THIS OIL GOOD TO USE IN THIS ENGINE OR WOULD SOMETHING ELSE BE BETTER

jc1990 - I think that M1 was cleaning the inside of your motor. Keep using it if you don't get a consumption problem. You may have a little more power with 10/30 only. Leave out the 15/50 next time.
(It looks like you're yelling with the CAPS on.)
Joe

If you want to try synthetic Delvac 1 5W/40 is extremely hard to beat. If you want to stay conventional Delvac 1300 or Delo 400 would be good. Alternative in syn would be Mobil 1 10W-30 with say a 25% mixture of Mobil 1 15W-50

Why the emphasis on 15w-40?

Secondly, what is Delvac? I haven't ever seen it in typical auto parts places. Our selection here is relatively limited. In fact, I have never seen many other oils mentioned here, like royal purple. I looked everywhere for a synth. gear oil in 75w-140 and couldn't find it either.

I do think that Walmart has Mobil 1 in different weights like 15w-50, etc. It also has Castrol synth but that's about all, in addition to the blends.

The 15w/40 or 10w/30 ch4 or ci4 heavy duty oils are by far the best value oils on the market. Look at the additive package on Redline or Amsoil for example and the amount of the additives will be some what similar. They out perform passenger /non commercial/type oils. Also I will agree on 15w/50 mobil 1 oil working well. Amsoil 10w/40 full syn oil is a sleeper in the Amsoil line of oils look at the 4 ball test for what ever the test does or dosen't mean it is a kick but oil for the money ,again its formulation is like a heavy duty commercial type oil. For heavy use a 15w/40 oil will be the best viscosity in a petro oil .Syn oils 05w/, 10w, 15w/40 would work. 10w/30 hdd Amsoil or Redline10w/30 or 10w/40 oil would be a alternative choice but costs a bit more and probably would hard to justify the difference in cost.

[ January 18, 2004, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Steve S ]

pacem, I'm not giving any recommendations, but Wal-Marts always have Mobil Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 400 and Shell Rotella in 15W-40.

It's usually in distinctive carry jugs though rather than quart bottles. I'm sure they got it.

My 460 ('87 F250 SC with 177K) has a carburator, a C6, and will run on just about any gas available (in large quantities when the 3,000 lb. camper is aboard)!
lol.gif

Been using Chevron Supreme 10W-30 dino with 3K OCI's and am in the middle of the 1st Auto-Rx cleaning application: it starts, idles and runs very smoothly, IMHO. I am considering going to Pennzoil LongLife 15W-40 eventually, but have quite a bit of the Chevron to use first.

cheers.gif

The 15w/40 or 10w/30 ch4 or ci4 heavy duty oils are by far the best value oils on the market.

I don't know what ch4 and ci4 are.

Also, I looked in Walmart but did no see this Delvac stuff, nor did I see Chevron Delo.

pacem, C- rated oils are for Diesel engine applications. Look for these in the section that has diesel engine oils. It's separate from the others and will usually be between the other oils and the transmission/gear oils.

Wal-Marts always have Mobil Delvac 1300, Chevron Delo 400 and Shell Rotella in 15W-40.

I found them... they do specify heavy-duty right on the bottle.

Looked at synth. and they only had 15/50, I did not see a synth. in 15/40.

I still haven't made up my mind, but I will probably use that Mobil Delvac 1300 stuff in 15/40 per suggestions.

The aletrnative is to get Mobil 1 in both 15/50 and 10/30 and mix them for the right ratio. My concern here is that Mobil 1 may not be as easily available during my travels, and when it is, it probably won't be on discount as it is at Walmart.
Of course I can always put regular dino oil when I am running low between changes.
Would pure M1 15/50 work or too heavy?

[ January 28, 2004, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: pacem ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back