the best synth oil is what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mikeh1959
who has the best protection in synth oil

Your second post? All you will get is opinions and junk that has been posted a brazillion times. I hate to say it (of all people) but threads like this bore the snot out of me.

Oh and this is the wrong forum.

welcome2.gif

Let's see;

Wrong forum

No info on what the oil is to be used for.

No way to answer the question. And there is NO oil that offers the "best".

Please take some time and READ what has been posted over the years. You *may* learn something. Unlike some others who are here...

Bill

PS: Let's get a newbe section and limit posts to there for 1 month.... This would allow the people to HOPEFULLY READ something before trying to become post w_____...

There are alot of bests out there.

What is best is what works for your conditions, what your vehicles appear to like and what your willing to pay.

The best of the bests I would say are Amsoil and Redline.

Some other bests are Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower

Protection is a broad word. Protection from Cold?, Heat? Load?
Sludging? etc....

Last edited:
Do you expect us to just give our 100s of years of combined lubrication experience out for free?
grin2.gif

The best for me is Amsoil........ At least I believe it is, which is all that matters. Really can't tell what is best for you. I know that I have done research before the internet was readily available. I then tested some synthetics and was using Mobil 1 until I switched to Amsoil in 1995.

Now that this is all cleared up.......

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Let's see;

Wrong forum

No info on what the oil is to be used for.

No way to answer the question. And there is NO oil that offers the "best".

Please take some time and READ what has been posted over the years. You *may* learn something. Unlike some others who are here...

Bill

PS: Let's get a newbe section and limit posts to there for 1 month.... This would allow the people to HOPEFULLY READ something before trying to become post w_____...

thumbsup2.gif

We already tried this. That newbie kindergarten was a disaster - full of newbies trying to teach other newbies what "best synth" is. None of the BITOG old-timers had the patience to regurgitate the same knowledge over and over again to help them learn something.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

We already tried this. That newbie kindergarten was a disaster - full of newbies trying to teach other newbies what "best synth" is. None of the BITOG old-timers had the patience to regurgitate the same knowledge over and over again to help them learn something.
Then a 1 month wait before posting. I don't know but something has to change....

Originally Posted By: fxrider
MOBIL-1 .

Ok....
smirk2.gif

Interesting influx of new people who do little more than talk about Mobil 1, isn't there?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Then a 1 month wait before posting. I don't know but something has to change....

Why does it have to change? Newbie forums are a JOKE and do more to drive potential members off than they do any good. I have to ask some of the folks in this thread having issues with the OP's question...where you born knowing everything about oil or did you learn by observation and by questioning? I really think people tend to forget that not everyone has the same knowledge base and they need to show a little more tolerance for those who are asking questions.

No one is forcing anyone to open a thread, read the post, and respond. If you( and by "you" I mean those in this thread having a fit because a newbie asked a question not "you" as in anyone specific
smirk2.gif
)have nothing to add constructive why not just go to something else instead of trashing the guy? If I was this new guy I would tell this place to take a hike and leave. NO call to trash him as some have done. IMHO anyway.

There are a lot of guys on this site with thousands of posts that post nothing of substance most of the time. Generally the same old thing they posted last week, last month, last year, last decade, etc... Some post a lot of innacurate info all the time as well. So what are they contributing that is more valuable to read than this new guy's post asking what we feel is the best synthetic? The point being a member's post count is not an indicator of knowledge or the worth of a thread.

No offense to anyone in particular but I really think people need to chill. The guy asked an oil question on an oil site. That is the whole point of this place is it not?

Also, I am curious about something. Did this thread get moved into this forum from another one? If not how is this the wrong forum?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mikeh1959
who has the best protection in synth oil

welcome2.gif

Really it all depends on what you are going to ask of the oil. Is it for light duty in a small 4 cyl econo box, heavy duty tow use, or maybe some real abuse in a hot rod or muscle car with a 400-500HP+ V8? Do you see extreme cold winter temps( I would say yes if you live in NJ )or extreme summer heat? Tons of factors play into "best" choices. A little more info would help us to direct you to some good options for your application.

In general most synthetics are pretty darn good. For the average person the name brand well know synthetics will do the job well for you at a reasonable cost. There are some truly premium/top of the line synthetics( referred to as Boutique oils on this site )that cost a lot more but are superior products capable of much longer service life. Unfortunately, there is no one BEST synthetic oil in a blanket application. They all have their + and -.

For most people these are some very good choices...

Kendall GT1( 76 Lubricants full synthetic is the same stuff )
Valvoline Synpower
Penzoil Platinum
Quaker State( name changes so often it is hard to keep up current = Ultimate Durability )
Castrol Syntec or Edge
Mobil 1 & Mobil 1 EP
Amsoil XL( harder to get and more $$$ )

All of them are relatively easy to find and can be purchased either in bulk containers( 5 qt jugs )or on sale for $4-$5 a qt or even less. All are good for 5K-7500 miles of use and some even up to 10K in service life( Mobil 1 EP claims 15K )with a quality filter. For "most" people/situations these oils will do the job.

If you want to step up to a top of the line "Premium" oil and/or extend those oil change intervals out from 10K to 15K+, or you have some real heavy duty use required of your oil, then you are looking at the following oils. Much more expensive and harder to come by for the most part but better products...

Royal Purple
Redline
Schaeffers
Amsoil( regular and SSO )

These are not all of the oils out there available to you but they are the most common and well known. ANY of the ones listed above in either list is a good choice. To narrow it down your application and goals would help.

Hope this helps and welcome to the site. Ignore the folks with permanent grumpiness. Doesn't matter if you are a newbie or a veteran they will find something you post to complain about.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
... Ignore the folks with permanent grumpiness. Doesn't matter if you are a newbie or a veteran they will find something you post to complain about.
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

We should have the board sponsored by Paxil & Xanax, would be a lot happier posts here!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
... Ignore the folks with permanent grumpiness. Doesn't matter if you are a newbie or a veteran they will find something you post to complain about.
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

We should have the board sponsored by Paxil & Xanax, would be a lot happier posts here!
wink.gif

I think Midol would be a better sponsor for some.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Well, for those who complain about 'redundant' questions, has anyone every really had any luck with the 'search' feature?? I haven't..
crazy2.gif

Very good point. Like all search engines it is hit or miss. You have to come up with just the right search term to get anywhere. I have tried it myself a few times. If you can't find what you want within a few minutes IMO it is fine to post to the board.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
LOL.gif

LOL.gif

wink.gif

I think Midol would be a better sponsor for some.
wink.gif

crackmeup2.gif
I feel sorry for you every 30 days or so if you know about Mitol!
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back