the best synth oil is what

Status
Not open for further replies.
crackmeup2.gif
Great thread, let the venting begin.

One thing about Bill, it's hard to tell where he stands because he never says what he really thinks.
LOL.gif
JK, I enjoy reading your posts.

And NHHEMI, good post. Being born in Franklin, NH all have to say is, Live Free or Die my friend.

As for the 5w20 comment, depending on your point of view, it could be...as long as it's NOT 5w20, it's ok.
28.gif

As for the OP,'s question, I'm a dino user, but I'll give my opinion. My considerations are price, ease of purchase and availabilty. That eliminates the boutique oils like Amsoil, Red Line, Schaffer's etc. So that leaves the syn oils the I can easily find at Wally World and auto parts stores.

Of those M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower and Quaker State HP are close in price. I'd go with the any of those based on best deal. *

And,
welcome2.gif

*Disclaimer, that's just my opinion. lol

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: mikeh1959
who has the best protection in synth oil

Your second post? All you will get is opinions and junk that has been posted a brazillion times. I hate to say it (of all people) but threads like this bore the snot out of me.

Oh and this is the wrong forum.

welcome2.gif

Thanks! I though I was the only one who got bored with these types of posts

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: fxrider
MOBIL-1 .

Ok....
smirk2.gif

Interesting influx of new people who do little more than talk about Mobil 1, isn't there?

Right off the bat...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I have to ask some of the folks in this thread having issues with the OP's question...where you born knowing everything about oil or did you learn by observation and by questioning?

No one is forcing anyone to open a thread, read the post, and respond. If you( and by "you" I mean those in this thread having a fit because a newbie asked a question not "you" as in anyone specific
smirk2.gif
)have nothing to add constructive why not just go to something else instead of trashing the guy? If I was this new guy I would tell this place to take a hike and leave. NO call to trash him as some have done. IMHO anyway.

There are a lot of guys on this site with thousands of posts that post nothing of substance most of the time. Generally the same old thing they posted last week, last month, last year, last decade, etc... Some post a lot of innacurate info all the time as well. So what are they contributing that is more valuable to read than this new guy's post asking what we feel is the best synthetic? The point being a member's post count is not an indicator of knowledge or the worth of a thread.

No offense to anyone in particular but I really think people need to chill. The guy asked an oil question on an oil site. That is the whole point of this place is it not?

Also, I am curious about something. Did this thread get moved into this forum from another one? If not how is this the wrong forum?

I spent a little time READING what was here. We all know the search system stinks but that does not stop someone from going through the board and LEARNING before posting.

IF the OP did that, he would have seen the other posts asking the same question which there is no answer.

Then if YOU read the replies, you would have seen that he posted in the wrong forum. Again, IF he took sometime and READ back on the board he may have found that the question has been asked before AND where to ask a question.

I also spent many hours on Edmunds where most of us were before this board opened.

In comparison, here is my first post. --> Bill in Utah 1st post

No one liner and people sharing info.

Here is Buster's ---> Buster's first post

Asking a question but adding some content to the question.

Bottom line is people should spent some time READING the board before asking the question. It would cut down on the posts and even better, the new member would LEARN something.

This board would NOT be served by just ignoring posts if you "don't have anything nice to say".

This board HAS been pretty accurate until the last few years when the koolaid drinkers have been posting their brand with little rebuttal.

I agree with you that the number of posts does not indicate the "quality" of the member. But asking a single line question that has no answer and has been posted many times before does show us something.

Answering the question (esp when there is no data like; What use, what car, how many miles, etc) REALLY shows what type of member is answering.

I'm far from a post whore. But I try to keep it real. Sorry you feel different but I do care that this board stays somewhat REAL.

Originally Posted By: Tim H.
Well, for those who complain about 'redundant' questions, has anyone every really had any luck with the 'search' feature?? I haven't..
crazy2.gif

Tim, That is why they SHOULD read around before posting. Then they would learn some stuff, learn some of the members here and most of all, read the same question over and over.

And not ask it....

Take care all as I've got to go take my Paxil & Xanax...

Bill

If you want to step up to a top of the line "Premium" oil and/or extend those oil change intervals out from 10K to 15K+, or you have some real heavy duty use required of your oil, then you are looking at the following oils. Much more expensive and harder to come by for the most part but better products...

Royal Purple
Redline
Schaeffers
Amsoil( regular and SSO )

It appears to be a common place that these "boutique" oils are a cut above the synthetics form the major oil companies. However, I am not so sure about that.

Here is an MSDS for Schaeffers Supreme 7000 Synthetic 5W-20 that shows the following main ingredients (those over 1%):

- Mixture of Distillates,(petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic and Distillates,(petroleum) of solvent dewaxed heavy paraffinic [Group III base stock] - 60-70%

- Polyalphaolefin Synthetic Base Fluids 68037-01-4 [PAO 4] - 20-25%

- Proprietary Additives Mixture 10-20%
http://www.schaefferoil.com/msdspdf/704.pdf

This is less PAO than the majority of Mobil 1 formulations, which typically have 30-70% PAO according to the Korean MSDS's (the only country that I know of that requires disclose of PAO). However, Schaeffer's is clearly a cut above the major synthetics other than Mobil 1, most of which "appear" to have either zero or small amounts of PAO (but we don't know for certain).

I do give kudos to Schaeffer for providing full disclosure in their USA MSDS about the amount of PAO, which to my knowledge no other motor oil company provides.

I don't believe a higher percentage of PAO, in and of itself, indicates a superior motor oil.

There are too many outstanding results from primarily Group III oils that show otherwise.

It's entirely plausible that Schaeffer's saw advantages (other than cost) in their Group III/IV blend. The magic is in the total package it seems, and just looking at base oils only tells you so much. The final product is what matters.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
I don't believe a higher percentage of PAO, in and of itself, indicates a superior motor oil.

There are too many outstanding results from primarily Group III oils that show otherwise.

It's entirely plausible that Schaeffer's saw advantages (other than cost) in their Group III/IV blend. The magic is in the total package it seems, and just looking at base oils only tells you so much. The final product is what matters.

Plenty of Group II also with excellent results.

The last line is the correct answer.
thumbsup2.gif

Don't get caught up on what type of oil or additives, get caught up on how a oil performs in YOUR engine.

Well, for those who complain about 'redundant' questions, has anyone every really had any luck with the 'search' feature?? I haven't..
crazy2.gif

OK, everyone relax. The search function does work, but admittedly, it's not very transparent. The key, in my experience, has been to open up the TIME parameter. You will notice that it defaults to searching for posts in the last month. I typically just open it up to five years, and trim down from there as needed.

We did try the "new guy" forum a while back and it was not very useful. Everyone needs to understand that others will come here with varying degrees of experience and knowledge. If the old-timers find a thread to be too "elementary," please just pass on it. If anyone has another idea for how to deal with this effectively, please let us know. Otherwise, please be patient, and understand that we're dealing with members who range from seasoned petro engineers to people who've never seen anything but what's presented in oil commercials on TV.
cheers3.gif

Right now the hands down best synthetic is Mobil 1 0W30 for $22 for 5 quarts at WalMart. Subtract the $10 off rebate and you have a smoking hot deal of roughly $2 per quart.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
[
crazy2.gif

Tim, That is why they SHOULD read around before posting. Then they would learn some stuff, learn some of the members here and most of all, read the same question over and over.

And not ask it....

Take care all as I've got to go take my Paxil & Xanax...

Bill

And I will have to take a side with the OP in this case to an extent: My reasoning being only in reference to his question. First, I did a search, using the search feature, using the words "best synthetic". Came up with a few posts, mainly about what weight to use, advice (opinions) on what weight, weather I should use it or not, This thread, and a few others, but nothing really pertaining directly to his question. Then I went back 4 pages in the PMCO section and found no answer to his direct question. Then I went to the "General Board information" area to see if there were any "stickies" or anything related to redundant questions, 'please read' items, things of that nature that would tell a newbie to 'read and research before you post'. I found nothing relevant to that.
While I agree with you 110% that anyone who is new here, or at any forum for that matter, should read and research before even thinking of posting, I think maybe a direction to that instruction, or a link to a particular thread would have better served the new guy rather than to just hammer him like 'he should've known better'...
I tend to highly doubt he will return with any questions now...

I agree, and I am sure that Schaeffer's is a fine motor oil. But is it better than Mobil 1? If so, why? If the ingredients are not more expensive (they appear to use less PAO than Mobil 1) then do you think Schaeffer's engineers are more knowledgeable about motor oil blending or spend more on R&D than ExxonMobil?

I don't mean to single out Schaeffer's, but I wonder exactly what is it about some of these "boutique" oils that actually makes them better than the majors?

I for one don't believe "boutique" manufacturers necessarily make better oils than the majors. Some do, some don't.

If Schaeffer's isn't trying to blend one oil to meet every spec under the sun, then yes it is entirely plausible that their oil will outperform M1 in some scenarios.

The question is, what did Schaeffer's go for? I believe M1 blends their oils to excel primarily at high temp deposit control.
21.gif

I believe that M1 blends their oils for superior profitability at the expense of a lot of other characteristics!
wink.gif

Yes it's still a darn good oil... Just not the best it could be IMO.

No one is forcing anyone to open a thread, read the post, and respond. If you( and by "you" I mean those in this thread having a fit because a newbie asked a question not "you" as in anyone specific
smirk2.gif
)have nothing to add constructive why not just go to something else instead of trashing the guy? If I was this new guy I would tell this place to take a hike and leave. NO call to trash him as some have done. IMHO anyway.

I couldn't agree more.

The only thing that makes forums bad are caustic responses. As a reader, I couldn't care less if the same question were asked twenty times a day. I do care about the malicious responses though. How do you respect people, who find allure in making other people feel embarrassed or stupid? Because someone is an oil expert that gives them the right to talk to people that way?

Most of this site is opinion driven. Some facts are here no doubt. Here's one:
When you're compelled to deride people for common posts, overdone topics or simply not using the search feature, it is you who should do the searching. Search within yourselves and then search through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. It's more succinct, better organized and more factual than any forum, so it will certainly appeal to you.

The fault lies in yourselves not in newbies. The next time you consider slamming someone, for anything, be mindful of the fact that you are the one contributing the negative karma to the site not them.

You really want to be guilty of that?

Originally Posted By: Mark888

I agree, and I am sure that Schaeffer's is a fine motor oil. But is it better than Mobil 1? If so, why? If the ingredients are not more expensive (they appear to use less PAO than Mobil 1) then do you think Schaeffer's engineers are more knowledgeable about motor oil blending or spend more on R&D than ExxonMobil?

I don't mean to single out Schaeffer's, but I wonder exactly what is it about some of these "boutique" oils that actually makes them better than the majors?

You really need to get over this Mobil 1 is God thing that you have going on.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: mikeh1959
who has the best protection in synth oil

Your second post? All you will get is opinions and junk that has been posted a brazillion times. I hate to say it (of all people) but threads like this bore the snot out of me.

Oh and this is the wrong forum.

welcome2.gif

1) I was not rude to the OP. I was merely stating in shorthand that perhaps the question could be rephrased, and as others have asked - just what application are we talking about??? WAAAAYYY too general, and just a little reading (not even searching) would have shown that.
2) This thread started in the UOA section. Mods moved it. Thanks!
3) As for the "All you will get is opinions and junk that has been posted a brazillion times" - so far no one has proved me wrong!
cool.gif
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mark888

Why should he?? Everyone else here thinks that YB can cure Aids...

If Schaeffer's isn't trying to blend one oil to meet every spec under the sun, then yes it is entirely plausible that their oil will outperform M1 in some scenarios.

The question is, what did Schaeffer's go for? I believe M1 blends their oils to excel primarily at high temp deposit control.

Mobil 1 has at least 15 different synthetic oils sold in the US alone (not counting a few only sold in EU like the ESP line). So I don't think they are trying to meet every spec under the sun with every oil.

Many of the M1 oils are geared toward high temp deposit control, but the new AFE line is clearly geared to fuel economy (including reduced friction).

BTW, I don't mean to pick on Schaeffer's, because I think 25% PAO is pretty good these days (and they may very well have some Group V in the "proprietary" mix that is not disclosed). I am not really sure what Royal Purple and the others have, but I think most people would be surprised if they found out.

I don't think M1 is God, it is just that it seems to be a common place that the "boutique" oils have more PAO than M1. I was just correcting that mis-perception. As you may recall, someone listed the synthetics from major oil companies, and then said that the boutique oils were "better products." I have never claimed that M1 is better than the boutique oils, everyone gets away with claiming the boutique oils are better than M1, PP, etc without any proof.

It is possible that some boutique oils have more PAO than some M1 oils, but even then I think most of this is just folklore. As we have seen by the Schaeffer's MSDS and M1 MSDS's from Korea, there are a lot of myths out there that need to be exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back