The Best Car Wax (According To This Article)

I used Nu Finish before it changed.
It produced the best shine I've ever seen even on neglected cars.
But it was a real pain if it got on black trim.
No more, now it's ceramic sprays,easy on and easy off.

If you are staying with traditional waxes, any of the collinite waxes win hands down. The depth and shine they give for the price and durabilty is irreplacable.

Here is my take:
Automotive Sku# / Marine Sku# (formulas are identical just marketed different)
845 / 925 - This is the liquid version, and it is by far the easiest wax to use, and buffs off the paint effortlessly. Gives great shine and good durability.

476s / 885 - The most durable, and gives the same shine as the liquid. It is quite difficult to remove especially if in direct sun.

915 Marque'd Elegance - Almost like the 476s / 885 but has better more rare carnuba wax that give an amazing depth. What I find is some colors really pop, others dont benefit from it as much. White and silver are a waste to use it on. Black, burgundy, and dark blues are very worth it.

If you are staying with traditional waxes, any of the collinite waxes win hands down. The depth and shine they give for the price and durabilty is irreplacable.

Here is my take:
Automotive Sku# / Marine Sku# (formulas are identical just marketed different)
845 / 925 - This is the liquid version, and it is by far the easiest wax to use, and buffs off the paint effortlessly. Gives great shine and good durability.

476s / 885 - The most durable, and gives the same shine as the liquid. It is quite difficult to remove especially if in direct sun.

915 Marque'd Elegance - Almost like the 476s / 885 but has better more rare carnuba wax that give an amazing depth. What I find is some colors really pop, others dont benefit from it as much. White and silver are a waste to use it on. Black, burgundy, and dark blues are very worth it.
I bought quite a few of the cans of 476 and the bottles of 845 on clearance at harbor freight. I eventually sold some to friends cheap because you don’t need very much so the tins/bottles last so long. I just use 845 mostly now

I use duragloss 601/105 combo on my wife’s Altima since I have it. Once that’s all gone it will just be Collinite 845

I was always looking for "the best wax", until I used Mothers CMX Ceramic coating. At my age easy on and off is appreciated in a product I don't have to bust my rear applying and removing.

This product covers that requirement extremely well. And the shine it produces is beyond any wax I've ever used before... And that's saying a lot, based on all the unfinished products I have sitting on my shelf, that I've tried over the years.

I was always looking for "the best wax", until I used Mothers CMX Ceramic coating. At my age easy on and off is appreciated in a product I don't have to bust my rear applying and removing.

This product covers that requirement extremely well. And the shine it produces is beyond any wax I've ever used before... And that's saying a lot, based on all the unfinished products I have sitting on my shelf, that I've tried over the years.
But its a coating and NOT any kind of wax. Kinda like Polyglycoat from years ago. Also on older collectable cars it does not give the same depth of shine as a Carnuba based wax which does not last long at all.

But its a coating and NOT any kind of wax. Kinda like Polyglycoat from years ago. Also on older collectable cars it does not give the same depth of shine as a Carnuba based wax which does not last long at all.

I agree. But wax has more or less outlived it's time. The Ceramic coatings are very shiny, and as I said far easier to use. While not a wax, they bead water like crazy. And they last. As you mentioned wax just doesn't hold up. UV light really kills wax in short order.

And best of all you can use the Ceramics on anything, without worrying about getting that white wax residue on the trim. I actually did my headlights and windshield with the stuff, and it's unbelievable how easily bug juice removes. When that stuff dries, it's like epoxy it's so hard to get off.

My wife even did her new washer and dryer with it, and they shine as good or better than the vehicles do. Amazing stuff.

I agree. But wax has more or less outlived it's time. The Ceramic coatings are very shiny, and as I said far easier to use. While not a wax, they bead water like crazy. And they last. As you mentioned wax just doesn't hold up. UV light really kills wax in short order.

And best of all you can use the Ceramics on anything, without worrying about getting that white wax residue on the trim. I actually did my headlights and windshield with the stuff, and it's unbelievable how easily bug juice removes. When that stuff dries, it's like epoxy it's so hard to get off.

My wife even did her new washer and dryer with it, and they shine as good or better than the vehicles do. Amazing stuff.
If you go to a reputable detailer and request the deepest wet look, not shine you will not be using a Ceramic coating. Also its not so much the UV that breaks Carnuba wax down but rather surface heat.

So what's wrong with Nufinish?
20 years ago it made the dull paint of an ancient Saab 900 shiny again.
But the microfiber had paint color on it afterwards so I always felt it took some of the top layer of paint off.

I use Kit because it smells good, I like the bottle and it has a nostalgic presence to me.

Back