The best Budget Tires out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Opinion I think Sonars are the best Budget Tires out there. They are made in the USA by Cooper Tires. I only paid 50 dollars for a 185 50R15, they last long and has Average Traction What do you guys think?

I have never seen a good cheap off-brand tire. The cheapest tire that I've had good luck with is Goodyear's viva 2.

I've had very good luck with Gilette Silver Bear. 25.00 apiece for most size 14's.

I had Sonars on a dodge spirit I fixed up and drove briefly and they were horrendous in the snow even though they looked brand new.

They were quiet and handled tolerably in the dry, I never pushed it... it was a K-Car.
grin.gif

My local tire chain VIP has a cheap tire made by Multi-Mile/Apex that has a soft rubber and blocky tread design. They hold pretty well in the snow and rain, have a quiet ride, but only a 40k mile warranty which means they're probably good for ~35k.

No cheap tire will give you good performance dry and wet and good life. What are you most interested in?

Kumho Doesn't Count. Kumho is a huge COmpany .. not just tires.. but shipping, etc..

I thinking Like Kelly's, COrdovey, Sonar, etc..

If Kumho doesn't count, neither does Kelly.
Check the plant codes on Kelly tires sometime.
They're made at plants owned by Goodyear.
It's one of this things neither company says in its advertising or websites, but Kelly-Springfield is a Goodyear subsidiary.

quote:

Originally posted by Brikhead:
Kumho

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
After much research I chose Kumho 716 HPs. Not the cheapest but the best value which is more important than cheap.

quote:

Originally posted by Bamaro:
Kumho

I agree with the others. I currently have Kumho 716 HP4s on my civic and there excellant!

I second the vote for Goodyear Viva II's at W-M. Trouble is they quite making my size 155/80-13's/$30.36each with 60thou warrenty. Goodyear is bringing in this size from Poland or Brazil now -NAFTA- no profit and being the Geo Metro/Suzuki Swift's are now out of production they felt there is not much need for them anymore. Will not be using 175/70-13's as some do being this kills the mpg along with them being too wide for the stock 4.5in rims.(may try the Suzuki Esteem 14in rims some day but that idea will have to wait being I have 12 Viva II's in storage after buying all that W-M had left here in Western Washington from Oregon north to Canada-yes I made a few side trips.)

I had Goodyear Viva 2's put on my van yesterday at Walmart. I was interested in the Kumho tires but I could not wait for them to come in( van inspection has run out). So off I went to Walmart.
The Viva 2's were $44.74 each in my size. The mounting,balancing,valve stems,lifetime rotation,road hazard was only $9.76 per tire! 60,000 mile warranty and they were on the car in 19 minutes!
I was happy to say the least.I have driven it twice and they seem quiet and capable so far.

quote:

Originally posted by Korean_redneck:
Kumho Doesn't Count. Kumho is a huge COmpany .. not just tires.. but shipping, etc..

I thinking Like Kelly's, COrdovey, Sonar, etc..

True....but you're original topic said "best Budget tires", and Kumho's tire pricing easily falls into the budget catagory.
cheers.gif

quote:

In my Opinion I think Sonars are the best Budget Tires out there. They are made in the USA by Cooper Tires. I only paid 50 dollars for a 185 50R15, they last long and has Average Traction What do you guys think?

The best way to get budget tires is to choose a low cost tire size. This way even the premium makes become good value!

PS. I have never heard of a 185/50R15 tire size. Surely some mistake?

[ October 14, 2005, 01:34 PM: Message edited by: smartboost ]

For the price, I really liked the Cooper Cobras I had. Cdn$84 a tire, installed and balanced, for 195/60R14. They were good in wet, dry, dirty, or snowy conditions, they were quiet, and they wore well and cornered predictably (no squirminess). I wish I could ceremoniously burn my RS-A's and put those on, but they don't make them in my tire size (205/50R17). Nobody makes anything in my tire size!!!
mad.gif

This would be another vote for getting a tire size with lots of availability of good, inexpensive tires (like 205/55R16).

quote:

This would be another vote for getting a tire size with lots of availability of good, inexpensive tires (like 205/55R16).

I prefer 195/65R15 to 205/55R16 as the ride is more comfy. However, 205/55R16 works well on the front of a Porsche 911. Just remember to fit a wider 225/50R16 or 245/45R16 on the back!

quote:

Originally posted by smartboost:
I prefer 195/65R15 to 205/55R16 as the ride is more comfy. However, 205/55R16 works well on the front of a Porsche 911. Just remember to fit a wider 225/50R16 or 245/45R16 on the back!

I'd like to put 195/65R15's on for my winter tires, but I'd much rather have my big brakes!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back