The Beater is Even Uglier Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So alot of you will remember my post back in November (Here) about the truck getting a little banged up it was finally time to get it looking a little better. I finally found a junkyard that had somewhat good prices; I never knew how proud salvage yards are of even 20 year old parts. For a fender, bumper assembly, (broken...) grille, and rusty battery tray was $300! I could have gone Amazon new parts a little cheaper, but I'd rather not have a lot of fitment issues or made in China parts...

Here we have everything pulled apart where I need it. It really needed a new core support, but I did not want to spend a whole day pulling the truck apart, evacuating the AC, etc. I got it close enough to put together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And after a couple hours back together!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm sure my neighbors are glad it's back together as its been on the street infront of the house for a week missing the bumper and grille.

I'll have to wait till spring comes to paint the fender. I have just enough paint left over to match. Not sure what i'm going to do about the green plastic and the used grille, while cracked in a spot, is better than what I had. I'll probably just get a new one off LMC or something.

Originally Posted by dishdude
I'd say spray the fender but I'm kinda feeling the green!

Paint the whole truck green!

OE panels are definitely thicker than aftermarket. Aftermarket won't last if it has to deal with salt.

You know, a $6 can of plastidip doesn't sound bad in the meantime. A quick masking of the hood and door, it'll peel off easy even months and months down the road.

Originally Posted by Delta
So alot of you will remember my post back in November (Here) about the truck getting a little banged up it was finally time to get it looking a little better. I finally found a junkyard that had somewhat good prices; I never knew how proud salvage yards are of even 20 year old parts. For a fender, bumper assembly, (broken...) grille, and rusty battery tray was $300! I could have gone Amazon new parts a little cheaper, but I'd rather not have a lot of fitment issues or made in China parts...

Here we have everything pulled apart where I need it. It really needed a new core support, but I did not want to spend a whole day pulling the truck apart, evacuating the AC, etc. I got it close enough to put together.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And after a couple hours back together!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm sure my neighbors are glad it's back together as its been on the street infront of the house for a week missing the bumper and grille.

I'll have to wait till spring comes to paint the fender. I have just enough paint left over to match. Not sure what i'm going to do about the green plastic and the used grille, while cracked in a spot, is better than what I had. I'll probably just get a new one off LMC or something.

I like it and glad you fixed it up nice.

I thought about a can of white plastic dip temporarily, but honestly I don't mind being mutli-colored for the time being. It's a good, cheap, beat-around truck that just keeps on going.

For another random pic, I had to overhaul the front braking system. The pads and rotors had been on there for goodness knows how long. It still sopped ok, but was making a slight squeaking noise that went with speed. Thought I was going to get away with new pads, rotors, and wheel bearings. Nope; the passenger side caliper was junk. The old piston was so corroded it wouldn't even think about going back in!

[Linked Image]

And I'm ashamed to post this, but this is the pads. Probably one hard stop from destruction!

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back