The Barnacle (alternative to the Denver Boot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main thing about the barnacle vs. the boot is that the onus of returning the barnacle is placed on the offender. This means the parking authority can eliminate the jobs of the folks who currently go out and remove the boot. It's about profit margin.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
The main thing about the barnacle vs. the boot is that the onus of returning the barnacle is placed on the offender. This means the parking authority can eliminate the jobs of the folks who currently go out and remove the boot. It's about profit margin.

Of course it's about lowering costs. That's something any business or government should be working to achieve, unless you believe that the roll of government is to create and keep low-skill jobs.

All of that ...and you cannot overlook the safety angle of not having a person stoop over on the traffic side of a parked car.

Also, a question: The title refers to "the Denver Boot". Is that the full/proper/design name of the boot?.....like "Jersey barrier"? (those are the smooth concrete ones which are designed to keep vehicles on their respective side of the highway.

Baltimore Oriole
Montreal Steak
Philadelphia Cream Cheese (Philadelphia means 'fashionable' here)
Michigan hot dog

Originally Posted By: Kira
All of that ...and you cannot overlook the safety angle of not having a person stoop over on the traffic side of a parked car.

Also, a question: The title refers to "the Denver Boot". Is that the full/proper/design name of the boot?.....like "Jersey barrier"? (those are the smooth concrete ones which are designed to keep vehicles on their respective side of the highway.

Baltimore Oriole
Montreal Steak
Philadelphia Cream Cheese (Philadelphia means 'fashionable' here)
Michigan hot dog

Hmmm...when I lived in Michigan, hot dogs with chili or meat sauce were generally referred to as "Coney Islands".
Of course, the Chicago dog is an all beef weiner with mustard, onions, relish, a pickle wedge, small peppers, and celery salt.
Don't get me started on most of the US calling wimpy pan pizza "Chicago Style", the real deal is stuffed pizza that is 3-4 inches thick where one slice can easily be a meal...accept no substitutes!!!

As for the barnacle, they should make a version that suctions across the side window glass so people cannot even get into the car...

Last edited:
I can see people still driving with this on their car. They get home and all their homies laugh about it. They then decide to find some way to break it off, and yes, they will find a way. Heck, just drill a small hole from inside to release the suction. Or replace the windshield (Hmm, $150 for a windshield or hundreds in parking fines).
Then you have to worry about windshield damage. I have a small crack in my windshield, you put this giant suction machine on it and now I have a crack all the way across my windshield, you caused it, you need to pay for it.
Then there is to problem of returning it. You expect somebody that does not want to pay for their tickets to drive somewhere and drop this thing off? They will keep it, cancel the credit card they paid with so the device can't be charged to it.
I still think the boot is a more effective device, but agree it is harder to put on and you have to have somebody come out to remove it before the car can be moved.

I do know some areas have crazy parking signage and rules, so you may not even know your illegally parked, but still, pay your tickets and you don't have to worry about this thing or a boot.

blupupher's warning of, "They will keep it, cancel the credit card they paid with so the device can't be charged to it." is a little too "Bonnie & Clyde" to be plausible.

They've got these things called license plates and computers. Attempting a dodge like the one you described would do little more than annoy them.
You'd be caught in about 45 seconds.
If you dumped your entire identity, bank account, connections to real estate AND broke the car down into parts you might buy yourself 4 or 5 days once the process begins.

Or you could elect to "shoot it out" with them because your an Amurikun!

I wonder what the recourse is if this cracks one's windshield or the installer scratches the car's paint. Similarly if the installer gouges a wheel when installing a boot.

One side says the car was parked illegally, so all bets are off... But at the same time, damage of private property would at minimum set the jurisdiction up for a law suit that may be cheaper to settle...

I don't get why since everything is electronic and easily searched, just give a ticket, take a few substantiating pictures, and if it doesn't get paid, add fees and don't let the registration be renewed. Any unregistered cars are impounded and sold. Simple.

Originally Posted By: Kira
blupupher's warning of, "They will keep it, cancel the credit card they paid with so the device can't be charged to it." is a little too "Bonnie & Clyde" to be plausible.

They've got these things called license plates and computers. Attempting a dodge like the one you described would do little more than annoy them.
You'd be caught in about 45 seconds.
If you dumped your entire identity, bank account, connections to real estate AND broke the car down into parts you might buy yourself 4 or 5 days once the process begins.

Or you could elect to "shoot it out" with them because your an Amurikun!

You do realize that the reason they would have this device on their car because they blatantly ignore citations received that are tied to them and all their personal information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back