The Automatic That's Faster Than a Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

Quote:

Automatic with Manual shift= Fun

Manual= Ancient
Automatic= Better fuel efficiency in some vehicles, compared to their Manual counterparts.

Can you even drive a Manual? Just because Manuals is old school, doesn't mean it's not fun.

No other transmission matches the enjoyment in driving.

You think an Automatic with manual shift is fun? Trust me, you'll learn a couple of things when you get older.

driving.gif
driving.gif

Seriously, we have 3 manuals in my family (318ti, 325is, F-150) and one automatic (325iT AKA ZF steptronic). The automatic royally sucks the fun out of that car and not to mention in agressive driving it's way too slow on the manual downshifts. However, it does a fine job just cruising along.

Automatics are fine if you like driving in a straight line fast and want a grandma car.

Manual trannys are still my favorite regardless of performance capabilities. They make the car handle that much better in corners, and are more fun to drive.

For vehicles I would prefer a manual just because you are more involved when driving and you can't really day dream while your driving around town. And also because they're generally more efficient and cheaper to fix should the need arise. As far as quads go, I would never even consider owning anything other than a manual. You can't pop the clutch with an auto.

an automatic is for people who can;t use their hands and feet at the same time.... the other downside is that you can't drink your starbucks, talk on a phone and use your ipod at the same time if driving a manual and really, thats all thats important here.

Well, there is no denying that the major advantage of a slushbox is convenience. For those looking for an appliance that will take them from A to B, it is not a bad thing at all. Different people expect different things from their vehicles. Nothing wrong with that. Each transmission has its pros and cons. Arguing which one is better is sort of like trying to decide whether Easter is more important than Christmas.

IMO, manual transmissions should be required by law for all besides those who can drive buy dont have full function of their arms and feet.

Why? People are LOUSY drivers. People dont understand physics. People think that driving is mashing on the go pedal as hard as they can and pointing somewhere.

People are stupid enough without cars shiftng for them... IMO, people will become much better and more involved drivers if they had to use MTs...

JMH

Whoah... why don't we just go back to walking then? That ought to eliminate all those lousy drivers.
smile.gif

Seriously though, I love a manual tranny and feel bored in a car with a slushbox, but still, I wouldn't make it mandatory by law. The problem in the US is the lack of proper driver's education under an eye of a skilled instructor in most states. People get their permit, and then they practice with their parents. And if the parent was bad driver because his parent was one, too, then so will be the child. And the practical exam is not comprehensive enough to test all these things.

But we're getting OT a little...

I like a manual, my wife prefers an automatic (however she can drive a manual quite well). I have a manual; she has an automatic. I guess it's pretty hard to talk on the cell phone and shift gears at the same time. Maybe we'll evolve and have three arms.

JHZR2 - yeah, I downshift to stop signs and lights - 99% of the time the person behind me flies up on my bumper because they don't realize I'm slowing down since they don't see brake lights - they get confused, then they get really confused when I'm at the light and they don't see brake lights shining in their face - kind of "how does he do that" thing...like it's magic or something.

Quote:

I guess it's pretty hard to talk on the cell phone and shift gears at the same time.

as it should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back