The AN 225 destroyed?

If they build a new one could it use the 777 size engines and only need 4 engines ? Pondering.

If they build a new one could it use the 777 size engines and only need 4 engines ? Pondering.
I think the cost of repowering while simultaneously rebuilding and/or finishing the airframe may be too tall a task.

I could be repowered, but why would they?

On existing airframes that is a major undertaking. The load paths in and through the wings are already designed and built. You'd essentially be redesigning the entire aircraft. Plus there is wiring and the entire fuel system would have to be reconfigured.

Note that they had the same potential with the B-52 but went with eight engines again, just as before.

I was going to mention "besides the pylons" but figured that would be obvious. In any event much less change than going from 6 to 4 on the AN225

Why no photos of destroyed aircraft ?
Fog of war. Here's an overhead photo of the hanger it was in.

damage-to-hangar.jpg

Edit: another photo showing it on fire:

An-225.jpeg

KCFM!!! what a super smart display of marksmanship... the Commies can't hit the broadside of a barn but they can hit the biggest air freighter available anywhere in Russia and the world...
An225(2).JPG

Last edited:
I would imagine a GE CF6-80C Boeing/Airbus spec(still made for the 767 and A330ceo), PW4062 or the Rolls-Royce RB211-524(or even the Trent series) could be adapted along with Western(GE/Honeywell/Rockwell Collins/Thales/Safran) avionics if the An-224 was to be remade.

Questionable now exactly how extensive the damage is...

Be skeptical of anything you hear from that area. Why no pics yet of the "destroyed" An-225?
Did you not see the pic I posted above with the tail on fire and the smoke coming out of the hangar? Just want to make sure if my posts are visible.

That's too bad. I saw it when it was in Winnipeg about 20-25 years ago picking up agricultural equipment.
There are several varieties of those Russian mammoths - not sure if I've seen the Antonov 225, but have two huge beasts of that sort, both around 2006. Out with buddies for our lunchtime walk at work and saw this huge aircraft in profile, heading N toward the airport. It looked somewhat like the Space Shuttle from the side, with it unusual aspect ratio. Looked incredibly slow, but that was because it was so huge it seemed to take a long time to travel its own length.

Second sighting was a few months later - saw a bunch of cars stopped N of the airport, and people with binoculars and cameras at the ready. Of course I had to stop. The Antonov took off and passed right over us. Spectacular.

The one flight was written up in the Free Press, and as you said, it was here to pick up ag equipment (possibly from the Russian-owned Buhler Industries). May well have been a 124 rather than a 225. Can't remember if it had four engines, or six.

Back