The After auto-rx pictures of Oil & filter 6.8 V10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Well I finished up the Auto-rx sequence on Thursday. I changed the M1 0-20 with the autorx thursday night. Cut the filter open today. The Pictures are up on
http://www.whatsupballooning.com/b4autorx.htm

Both sets of pictures are there for side by side comparison. Did see some particulate matter on the filter. This on an engine with only 29,000 miles on it. Hmmmmmm

I put M1 5-30 in for the round trip from NH to Montana at the end of the month.

One thing I noticed was a slight gas smell to the oil with the auto-Rx in it. Is this a normal reaction with the oil?

Ray

I don't have a comment about auto-rx. However, I just yesterday bought an 03 super duty with 6.8 v10. It will be delivered from the depot next weekend. My concern is, that filter looks tiny. Smaller than the one on my 4.6 v8. What's the deal with that? How many qts of oil does the v10 hold? Thanks..

A. Guy, the oil filter for the Triton series of engines is the same Motorcraft FL 820S, or its aftermarket equivalent. The oil fill is 6 quarts for the Tritons.

It sure does look shorter, must just be the picture. So there are two more cyl's to lubricate and they use the same amount, interesting. I trust they know what they are doing, it is just interesting. In effect, they have added a quarter of an engine but not a quarter more oil.

Off topic, how do you like the V10? I did not get an opportunity to test drive one, I tried a 5.4, which was okay, nothing wonderful. I took the V10 on the salesmans word that it has excellent power and pulling torque. I got a 6 speed 4X4. I hope it is what they claim. Thanks...

Looks obvious that the autorx is doing what it's advertised to do. Seems unusual to have crud in a 29,000 mile engine, but todays new designs really beat up oil worse than ever. And as previously stated, lots of engine in a v10, lotsa places to beat the oil, but no more factory filtering ability. At least now you have a way to manage it. Steve

A. Guy,

If you're looking for raw pulling power with extra to spare the V10 is it. My Excursion is 7000+ lbs with the 2000lbs trailer on I have enough power to pass while climbing hills on or off the highway. The downside is to make power takes fuel. MPG is towing local 9 - 11 Towing highway 11-12 No trailer local 11 - 13 Highway no trailer as high as 16 (rare). But God I love this truck rides like a dream.

Ray
fruit.gif

Auto-Rx: this is before and after photos of cleaning done professionally and objectively. Now board members and visitors can see how chemistry works.

Ray, what is the redline on that motor? I understood that it was supposed to rev higher than an 8, which would make sence. Just wondering though, if it pulls hard all through the rev band, or if it has to build some revs before it pulls. I know what the tech sheets say, just wondering what a person actually driving one says.

So much I don't know about these. Oil and trans coolers factory installed? I knew the mileage wouldn't be the best but there naturally is a trade off for more power, I am okay with that. As long as I don't have to get it to rev too high for it to get into it's curve. Thanks..

Tis motor pulls hard thru the whole band. 70 miles an hour at 2000 rpm. I've heard that 4500 is rev limited top. pulls hard right up thru 3800.
That's as high as I've taken it.

Ray

Just for comparison, the 4.6/ 5.4 in the F150 setups is redlined at just a hair over 5,000 rpms. Of course the tach won't tell you that, since it doesn't show a redline at all!

The V10 is a great motor for those who aren't interested in the diesel engine for whatever reason (which there are plenty) but need some good power. At 6.8l, it isn't huge displacement wise, but if I recall correctly it outperformed the GM 8.1L V8 and the Dodge 8.0L (?) V10 in a trailer test comparison done by one of the mags. In any case, it held its own.

The fact that the diesel costs a shade over $5,000 more, that I know several people with diesels and the mileage claims I read about were pretty much bogus. The diesels aren't getting all that much better mileage than the V10, maybe 2mpg. The fact that around here, diesel fuel is actually more expensive at the pump, when you can find it in town. Those were my reasons for not going diesel.

I recently returned from a round trip pulling a TT, CGVW, 15K, 2200 miles and I had 13.4 MPG for the entire trip. 2001 Ford PSD with the mileage figured at the end of the trip.
This was from Arkansas to Wisconsin and back.
The argument of diesel vs. gas for a pickup has so many variables that I tell people to buy what they are comfortable with. A V-10 will haul the freight, and 4-5K less Dollars than a diesel when purchased new. That 4-5k will buy alot of gasoline. IMO

Any V10 or Ford Diesel owners out there with an opinion on the normal gas mileage I should expect to get in an 2WD'87 F250SC 460 4bl C-6 with a 3,800lb camper in the (long)bed?
dunno.gif

How does/should this compare with what I'd likely see in an older 6.3 or 6.9, a later Powerstroke or, even, one of the new 6.0's? Maybe on a high/low/average basis?

Something tells me I wouldn't be satisfied with the 5.4 gas motor, but I'm sure willing to listen.

I'm doing some longerange planning and trying to decide whether to do a performance rebuild/long block (eventually?) or perhaps upgrade to a newer, better (whiter, fresher, less-filling?) vehicle. Most probably another Ford SC or maybe even a CrewCab?
confused.gif

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration!
cheers.gif

We used to have a late 80's 4x4 F250 with the 460 in it. It didn't matter what we were doing, it always got the same gas mileage. Unloaded, going downhill with a tailwind was about 8 mpg. Fully loaded, uphill, into a headwind, etc... it got 8 mpg. Not a real gas miser, but at least you knew how far a tank of gas was going to go!

The V10 should be able to deliver low-mid teens unloaded at reasonable speeds. Figure it to be low teens with any towing.

With the diesels, you should easily be able to put your gas mileage into the low to mid teens, most of the time, depending on driving habits and loads. If you pile on a lot of miles, the diesel is a no brainer as you can get the extra money put out up front for the diesel back in fuel savings. At 4-5000 extra upfront, it takes a LONG time to happen. Figure its going to be around the 125-150000 mile mark for break even.

The reason I was asking was that my last camping trip was a mix of freeway @ 65-70 mph and a climb up through the Santiam Pass to Detroit Lake during which I averaged about 8 1/4 mpg on regular.
rolleyes.gif

Would the FI version of the 460 with the E4OD tranny be really expected to do any better under full load? I can sure buy a lot of gas each month compared to what even a small payment w/b on even a $10 to 15K upgrade to my rig...

You would never believe the number of 2WD & 4WD used trucks that show up in our Sat. paper! Typically three quarters of a page in the Classifieds. It really doesn't look like there is much of a premium (beyond a grand or two) between like year/like mileage Gas vs. Diesels in the Fords.
shocked.gif

If you are working under a loaded scenario, then in all likelyhood having FI and the E4OD would make little difference. Unloaded it probably would.

Around here the 'premium' for a diesel over a gas tends to run around 2000 bucks or so in the used trucks. The 4-5000 I mentioned before was if buying new. Not cheap of the lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back