The 80’s: Best decade for wrestling

I grew up in the 80's bonding with my older brother watching wrasslin'. We were big WWF and JCP/WCW fans and now I regularly go back and rewatch stuff from my childhood. I literally cannot go a day without watching something 80's-90's wrestling. Here's an angle that I absolutely love:

PUT OUT THAT CIGARETTE!!!

I remember Dusty Rhodes, Barry Windham (he also portrayed the a yellow Dog) in CWF. Of course Wahoo McDaniel, “dirty **** Slater and “Captain Redneck **** Murdoch. The matches back then were legendary. Anyone else remember the UCF and NWA and AWA days? CWF was Championship Wrestling from Florida as I recall Cowboy Ron Bass. Double A Arn Anderson and Oke were my favorites
I'm not gonna criticize your choices...this is still a free country. You spend your $ and you do what you do. To me, wrestling was always theater...and pretty bad theater at that. I haven't even looked lately...is it still on tv? If yes...fine If no...that is the reality.

My live performance choices were limited to several college football games (GO BUCKS!!!) and BB tickets I had for the FINAL FOUR 1989..1990..1992....and a very few live concerts (Harry Chapin and Neil Diamond)... hey, they were a family obsession at that time.

The Bolo Bros. Rufus R FreightTrain Jones. Tully Blanchard. Greg Valentine. Rick Flair. Ricky Steamboat.
My niece was a lawyer for a large corporate law firm with several offices nationwide that she visited routinely on business years ago. She was based in Charlotte NC. The law firm flew their lawyers in first class section. On a flight from Chicago to Charlotte, she was seated next to Rick Flair. She said he was very handsome, suave, and had a great personality, in addition to being very intelligent as noted by their conversations.

The Great Wojo was a fun guy. Teacher at a school in Toledo. Had some serious heart issues a few years back while training with a younger wrestler. He was a true wrestler supposed to go to Olympics in the 80's until they were banned when held in Russia. Would have been great to see him vs Kurt Angle in true wrestling match.

My niece was a lawyer for a large corporate law firm with several offices nationwide that she visited routinely on business years ago. She was based in Charlotte NC. The law firm flew their lawyers in first class section. On a flight from Chicago to Charlotte, she was seated next to Rick Flair. She said he was very handsome, suave, and had a great personality, in addition to being very intelligent as noted by their conversations.
Yes he wasn’t ever shy about being out in public. My sister was a pediatric nurse at a hospital in Charlotte when Flair’s son was born. They all could hear him doing his trademark “WHOOOA” when he showed up to visit his wife and newborn son. I also recall a news story about a couple of the wrestlers drinking in a Charlotte bar being approached by a group of young cocky guys asking if wrestling is “fake”. That resulted in arrests and the wrestlers having to pay to repair the bar. They literally mopped the floors with them. Fake or not these guys were huge strong bulls.

I grew up watching Johnny Weaver,George Becker,Rip Hawk,Swede Hanson,George and Sandy Scott,The Infernos,gosh too many too recall.My best memory was in June of 1975 at the old Greenville Memorial Auditorium sitting at ring side when Ric Flair and Jimmy Snuka brought the match to where I was sitting.I had to get out of the way but I just stuck my hand out and Flair gave me a quick handshake.Been a diehard fan of Nature Boy ever since.

Back