The 5w20 experiment has begun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my Chrysler to Pennzoil 5w20 this morning. No unusual noises coming from the engine. hehe In 3000 miles we'll see how it does.

We finally had a nice day for laying under the car and changing the oil!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
I changed the oil in my Chrysler to Pennzoil 5w20 this morning. No unusual noises coming from the engine. hehe In 3000 miles we'll see how it does.

Are you trying to achieve better MPGs or prove thin oil can protect.....or both?

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:
Are you trying to achieve better MPGs or prove thin oil can protect.....or both?

I'm not trying to prove anything. I've been impressed with the UOAs I've seen from the 5w20 oils. I've done UOAs with my Chrysler on both Mobil 1 10w30 and Castrol 0w30. I want to see how 5w20 does in my engine since it isn't spec'd for 5w20. I chose Pennzoil because I believe it to be the best built "conventional" 5w20 you can by: 40% Group III and 60% Group II+, more moly than Mobil 1, just as much boron as Mobil 1, no magnesium, and lots of calcium.

If the 3000 mile wear numbers are as good as or better than Mobil 1 and/or GC, I'll probably continue to use it. If not, I'll probably go with Pennzoil 5w30 High Mileage.

What happened to the GC stuff? I thought you had settled for it!? Did something go wrong?

today's temp in Memphis is 65 degrees. I believe the brutal cold in the south will be gone until next winter. Since your car is spec for 30 wt, with the temps going up..it will be interesting to see if 5w20 can stand up to extreme heat in the 30wt engine. tooslick did an experiment of this nature also with 20wt for an engine that spec 30wt..and he had increased bearing wear. are you going to do a UOA to see what's going on?

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
are you going to do a UOA to see what's going on?

No, up above where I said "If the 3000 mile wear numbers are as good as or better than Mobil 1 and/or GC, I'll probably continue to use it" I meant I was just going to guess at the wear numbers without doing a UOA.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
are you going to do a UOA to see what's going on?

No, up above where I said "If the 3000 mile wear numbers are as good as or better than Mobil 1 and/or GC, I'll probably continue to use it" I meant I was just going to guess at the wear numbers without doing a UOA.
rolleyes.gif

G-Man,
Lighten up dude....I think a beer is in order!

Yes it would have been much easier to not reply since our member clearly just missed that part in the upper post when the analisis was spoke of .

This experiment means nothing during this time of the season in that engine .

Try the heat of summer with that 20 weight in this engine after sticking your foot in the throttle to your posted 6500 rpm redline a few times similating real world passing gear when needed then analise the oil .

quote:

Originally posted by R Stuart:
This experiment means nothing during this time of the season in that engine .

Try the heat of summer with that 20 weight in this engine after sticking your foot in the throttle to your posted 6500 rpm redline a few times similating real world passing gear when needed then analise the oil .

I disagree. I think the experiment means just as much as testing ANY oil during this time of the season. As for driving styles, I'm not going to drive my car any harsher than I normally would, nor am I going to baby it. If the 3000 mile results are good, I will run the 5w20 through the summer and see what those results look like.

After running that German Castrol an entire year and not being able to learn anything from the results is an cruel misfortune.
The important data that was lost to this community and this forum board was of priceless value.

quote:

Originally posted by Lubricious:
After running that German Castrol an entire year and not being able to learn anything from the results is an cruel misfortune.
The important data that was lost to this community and this forum board was of priceless value.

I had planned to run it an entire year. The oil itself had only been in the car since the end of October and had about 2400 miles on it.

quote:

rolleyes.gif

There are more than enough people doing GC UOA. Personnaly, I would MUCH rather see a UOA for 5w-20 in a car spec'd for 30W. GC is of no interest to me, since the stuff is **** near impossible to find.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Kalbo:
Does anyone know who carries (retail store or Manufacturer) a supply 5w-20 oils?

Welcome to the forum. I got the Pennzoil 5w20 at Wal-Mart. They have it in 5qt jugs as well as single qt bottles. You can also get Motorcraft 5w20, Castrol 5w20, and Valvoline 5w20 at Wal-Mart. They also have Mobil 1 0w20 and Pennzoil Synthetic 5w20.

Yip, check out Wal-Mart. Mine only has Motorcraft, Pennzoil, and Castrol.

Ask and usually Autozone or Advance will stock whatever you want, no problem.

quote:

I have a 2003 Honda Accord LX 4-cyl. Honda specifies 5w-20 motor oil.

None of the Auto Supply stores in my area carry 5w-20 of any kind (except the Honda dealer of course, I have never liked "Honda Oil" reports I have read have always rated low).

I'm running Mobil 1 5w-30. Any problems with using a slightly higher viscosity oil like this than Honda recommends?

Does anyone know who carries (retail store or Manufacturer) a supply 5w-20 oils?

Thanks
Paul

I think the M1 5-30 is great to run in this engine also. Not to worry.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Kalbo,

Welcome to the forum. I was having difficulty finding 5W 20 also. I did find it in a Wal mart also.

But just recently Kragen up here started carrying the new 5W 20 Pennzoil truck and SUV oil. At the same time they also got in the 0W 20 Moble 1. Before this they had almost nothing for Honda's up here in this end of the state. I thought that I was at the end of the line, hopefully it will start coming to your end also.

The Honda dealer oil is good and so is the Ford dealer oil if you want to try one of them.

From what I have read here the 30 weights will also fit down the oil tube on a Honda.
wink.gif

On edit,
I wonder if asking one of the chains would help. I did some mild whining about no Honda oils and then some showed up. Probably wasn't me though.

[ February 20, 2004, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: White 03 ]

quote:

I had planned to run it an entire year. The oil itself had only been in the car since the end of October and had about 2400 miles on it.

Imagine the look of bewilderment on that mechanics face when he unscrewed the plug and saw the clear amber GC streaming out into the sump.
Then when he looks at the oversized filter he just removed compared to the tiny AC Delco he must use as a replacement.
Do you think he scratched his head?

I have a 2003 Honda Accord LX 4-cyl. Honda specifies 5w-20 motor oil.

None of the Auto Supply stores in my area carry 5w-20 of any kind (except the Honda dealer of course, I have never liked "Honda Oil" reports I have read have always rated low).

I'm running Mobil 1 5w-30. Any problems with using a slightly higher viscosity oil like this than Honda recommends?

Thanks
Paul

quote:

Welcome to the forum. I got the Pennzoil 5w20 at Wal-Mart. They have it in 5qt jugs as well as single qt bottles. You can also get Motorcraft 5w20, Castrol 5w20, and Valvoline 5w20 at Wal-Mart. They also have Mobil 1 0w20 and Pennzoil Synthetic 5w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back