The 416,000 mile 2013 Hyundai Sonata

I saw this 13 2.4L Sonata listed with over 400K miles locally for $1500 bucks... OBO. Apparently it's like hitting the lottery to have this many miles on a 2.4. ;)

No check engine or any other light minus tire. I almost picked it up for a winter beater, but the clear coat on all surfaces and headlights were all kinda shot but no rust.

Seller gave me about a 5 word response, "original, everything works even a/c"

And it's already sold within 2 days.

IMG_2328.jpeg

413K in 9-10 years means lots of long trips, over 41K/year average-less heating & cooling cycles to loosen all those "loose particles left in block at assembly"... :ROFLMAO: Granted, my 163K '07 Corolla only set me back about $2K so far, but it was from a family member who didn't want to fix all the nagging things it has going on (CELs from worn out O2 sensors, tires, etc.)

I saw this 13 2.4L Sonata listed with over 400K miles locally for $1500 bucks... OBO. Apparently it's like hitting the lottery to have this many miles on a 2.4. ;)

No check engine or any other light minus tire. I almost picked it up for a winter beater, but the clear coat on all surfaces and headlights were all kinda shot but no rust.

Seller gave me about a 5 word response, "original, everything works even a/c"

And it's already sold within 2 days.

View attachment 130166
This is all especially interesting to me. I had a 2012 Elantra Touring. It was traded in at 300k miles. There was zero oil consumption. I fried the AC by neglecting to change the cabin air filter.

My conclusion is that Greasy is 100% correct, and that this vintage Hyundai engine is a very durable vintage.

fried the ac by not changing caf? You mean the fan motor?

we didn't get the sonata with a 2.4l engine, but it should be the engine co-developped by chrysler/mitsubishi/hyundai.

That's a steal for a 2013. If it would limp along one more year you could take it to a salvage yard and consider the car cheap transportation. The seller could have sold it for more money. You can't find anything in a 2013 and it would be a good donor for a repairable car of the same make and model with slight body damage such as a deer hit or a light side swipe etc. You have to be quick on those good deals or someone else will beat you to it.

fried the ac by not changing caf? You mean the fan motor?

we didn't get the sonata with a 2.4l engine, but it should be the engine co-developped by chrysler/mitsubishi/hyundai.
Is this a joke? Seriously the failure rates on these things are somewhere in the double digit realm. Class action lawsuits, long waits for new engines, reimbursements for those who paid for their own replacements, etc, etc. Drop by any Hyundai dealer, there'll be at least 10 of these on their back lot waiting for new engines, if they even keep them in sight. Talk to any dealer tech, if they are honest they will tell you they've replaced dozens of them. This is the most failure prone engine made in the last 15 years.

I ditched mine at 95K despite the lifetime engine warranty from Hyundai. Just didn't want to be caught in a situation with my family in the car where it was a safety situation getting off the road. Loved the car, it was a 6 speed and I would bang it off the rev limiter every day, speed shifted it from 1st to 2nd all the time. But I hit a deer with it on a cold dark foggy morning and I didn't feel like making an insurance claim on it with all the engine issues. My BIL has a used car lot and gave me 3700 for it with the damage and needing brakes. SOLD....

Sonata/i40 came with a 2.0 in europe, or a 1.6 GDi. But most all had a 1.7 diesel. I can only think of 2 gas engined sonata in our customer base.

This is all especially interesting to me. I had a 2012 Elantra Touring. It was traded in at 300k miles. There was zero oil consumption. I fried the AC by neglecting to change the cabin air filter.

My conclusion is that Greasy is 100% correct, and that this vintage Hyundai engine is a very durable vintage.
This is the post I meant to quote, 2 posts up.

This is the post I meant to quote, 2 posts up.
Then maybe my conclusion is wrong.

As for my 2.0L engine from the old Kia Sephia, it reeked of durability.

One month after purchase of my Elantra Touring, Hyundai brought to market Elantra GT with a new, infamous engine. Whew. Missed out on that.

I ditched mine at 95K despite the lifetime engine warranty from Hyundai. Just didn't want to be caught in a situation with my family in the car where it was a safety situation getting off the road. Loved the car, it was a 6 speed and I would bang it off the rev limiter every day, speed shifted it from 1st to 2nd all the time.
That it made it to 95K is a testament to how good these engines are. You probably put more wear on it than that 400K engine had.

We had a 2.4 reach 188K miles before trading it in. It was a 2010.
Our 2.0T reached 261K miles before trading it in. Neither had any issues except for the Sonata 2.4 pinging a few fuel ups.

400K miles is quite a feat regardless of time achieved. Especially when everything is original and works.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Any info on the oil they used?

They must have flushed all fluids to Amsoil or Redline after driving it home.
Not at all, those miles can be achieved using super Tec fluids from Walmart. Hyundai designed these vehicles to run very long time just like Toyota and Honda

Back