The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Is the Pickup Formula Perfected

When I can tow 6,000 lbs for 500 miles and do a complete recharge in 5 minutes, I will gladly buy an electric pickup.
I don't believe this is doable. If it were it would have happened by now.

I'd gladly purchase an electric car now if I lived and worked in an urban area.

The demands of a pickup truck and a passenger vehicle or SUV are very different. In theory anyway.
However, we know a great percentage of pickup truck drivers do not use them as work vehicles, towing or load hauling beyond an occasional Home Depot run for a few bags of fertilizer.

So, with today's EV technology an electric pickup truck with technological restrictions on range and towing capacity won't be seen as a negative for most customers. For those that do see it as a negative, they can still buy an ICE powered pickup truck.

What will remain to be seen is how well the Ford F-150 EV will compete with Tesla's Cybertruck. If Tesla goes into production soon and starts delivering them anyway. Pre-orders for the Cybertruck are huge, something like 1.2 million. Pre- orders for the F-150 Lightning are a fraction of that. Ford may very well get the jump on Tesla and have a lot of their EV pickups on the road well before Tesla.

But who wants to wager how well the Ford will live up to the claim of Pickup Formula Perfected ? I suppose they will be OK if they are used like a lot of pickups are today. But will fail miserably if used as work vehicles or towing boats or trailers and any kind of heavy duty use. I'm also not very confident that the Cybertruck will perform much better under heavy duty conditions but am more confident that the Cybertruck will be more successful due to Tesla's experience and reputation in the EV field vs. Ford's.

I am interested in one. I believe the ram is so far away from actually release that I will try to get a lightning pro as long as I can get it for a normal price. You can not currently pre order one. At least around here you can not.

You get a capable pick up with out the 12 mpg city penalty. I can charge free at work. I’m not one to buy a vehicle with tons of bells and whistles so the pro is a good trim level for me and it would not be a long drive vehicle just a daily driver

I’m not sure what the cost set up is for the generator transfer switch to use the truck for home power outages. I’m sure it’s not cheap the 80 amp charger is IIRC around 1300 for the unit. Then an outside company has to come and add more parts for the electrification of the home. It’s a cool idea though not sure if cost effective

So I’m keeping my ear to the ground with a friend of a friend at a dealer to see when the ordering is open for a 2023 I’m guessing

Inevitably the conversation drifts to it won't tow my multiple thousand pound trailer hundreds of miles without extensive recharging. Ever stop to think this may not be targeted at you?

People pay extra to buy towing packages so they can tow. The only limit they have is weight. You purchase a vehicle for towing, that has the capability to tow the weight you need. Or slightly more. As far as you need it towed.

There is no distance limit. Anyone who buys a vehicle for towing, is not going to prefer to have a distance limit placed on it by battery size and output, (EV), over one without. (ICE). There is no upside.

No matter how many times this boomerang gets thrown, it continues to return right back at the same place. The fact of the matter is EV's have distance limits that ICE vehicles do not.

Recharging takes a lot of time, and has limited places where it can take place. A towing package on a EV simply exacerbates the distance limits that handicap all of them in the first place. Again, gas stations are everywhere, and the largest tanks can be filled in just minutes, and you are on your way....

Now comes the part where the EV people say, "These issues will be resolved". And they very well may be... YEARS, or even decades down the road. That doesn't help anyone who buys one of these things today.

Technology has to chart its own course over time, based on cost, demand, and infrastructure requirements. It can't be mandated, legislated, or rushed simply because people want it now. And most people are not going to pay tens of thousands of dollars for a vehicle with severe distance limits, when they can purchase one for the same money or less, that doesn't have them.

Last edited:
I wonder what a reasonable breakdown there is for towing distances. for instance, the travel trailer gets towed out of state for most trips. Boats, however, are nearly always short distances around here. They would be just fine for electric trucks, and fiberglass is heavy yet more aerodynamic than a TT, a nice match for electric.

are the bottoms of the batteries sealed? It’s not often, but sometimes rear axles get close to the water when things get hairy.

THAT brings up a question in my mind too - is there any near field risk of shock if the vehicle slips and the pack is effectively submerged? Are folks walking through the knee-waist high water in those cases safe?

People pay extra to buy towing packages so they can tow. The only limit they have is weight. You purchase a vehicle for towing, that has the capability to tow the weight you need. Or slightly more. As far as you need it towed.

So, for my employer... All of out work is within a 100 mile radius, and virtually all of it is done from a truck station distributed throughout the area. Overall fleet useage stats show the bulk of our units do under 50-75 miles per day.

The units are specified to specific tasks. Thus the particular payload or towing capacity. Long distance towing gets us nothing and is not in any build, nor are larger fuel tanks etc... Not needed for our use...

The trucks are used for a 10 hour shift, then parked the rest of the day at the same location, every day.

Again, there are uses that this will make sense. And uses where it will not...

are the bottoms of the batteries sealed? It’s not often, but sometimes rear axles get close to the water when things get hairy.

THAT brings up a question in my mind too - is there any near field risk of shock if the vehicle slips and the pack is effectively submerged? Are folks walking through the knee-waist high water in those cases safe?

EV Batteries are all sealed.

Water fording depth on a Rivian R1T is 43”
32” in a Hummer EV
I think I heard 24” in a review last week for the Lightning - can’t find a source on that though.

I was interested in one, I do think it's a good truck. I made a reservation a year ago.

I ended up cancelling my reservation yesterday. The local dealer that had my reservation never contacted me at all. I attempted to reach out to them and they never followed up. It really soured the whole experience for me.
I decided to stick with my old dinosaur powered Silverado for a little while longer. I'll wait for the Silverado EV, which will have an 800v architecture and should be better for fast charging.

I could see myself in one, or a smaller variant…. in 15 years. By then, I think they’ll be decently sorted. My 2.7 continues to be one of the favorite vehicles I’ve owned.

When I can tow 6,000 lbs for 500 miles and do a complete recharge in 5 minutes, I will gladly buy an electric pickup.
I don't believe this is doable. If it were it would have happened by now.

I'd gladly purchase an electric car now if I lived and worked in an urban area.

Curious can you do that today?

I cannot.

Curious can you do that today?

I cannot.
Maybe not with the small gas tank on the Silverado, but either way I can drive from Raleigh NC to Jacksonville FL in around 7 hours towing a travel trailer. That's not happening with an EV. Now if I had a diesel with duel tanks, a 500 mile range would just be a start.

Maybe not with the small gas tank on the Silverado, but either way I can drive from Raleigh NC to Jacksonville FL in around 7 hours towing a travel trailer. That's not happening with an EV. Now if I had a diesel with duel tanks, a 500 mile range would just be a start.

I get "about" 250 miles a tank towing 6K.

If I could get that and a 20 minute recharge and be comfy that the infrastructure was there Id jump.

I summarized some of TFL Truck’s towing MPG tests a while ago. With 4,000 - 7,000 lbs trailers, most gasoline pickup won’t go much over 200 miles with the standard size fuel tanks.

You’re stopping every 170 miles or so with a Tacoma or Gladiator.

Yes and don’t buy an electric truck if you tow. Simple.
But but but the marketing says the F150 lighting is the "perfected" version of a truck, not the one that is great for all categories of buyers except one... Lol

I absolutely think EVs have their place, but the marketing just makes me laugh. A hybrid F150 would be way more useful across the board.

If they could convert this platform to something like an econoline van I'm sure a lot of contractors, municipalities, maintenance crews at large industrial sites, etc... would be all over it, they mostly just take short trips in a small radius if you're not doing the kinda of work where you really need the bed or haul a trailer a van is a better fit.

Back