The 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Is the Pickup Formula Perfected

I'm taking my F150 on a driving vacation soon. Probably travel about 4000+ miles. The last thing I want is to spend hours recharging every 150 miles. And the utter inability to tow more than 90 miles.

Of course at 200 miles in my 5.3 Silverado-I'm looking for a gas station when towing......

Inevitably the conversation drifts to it won't tow my multiple thousand pound trailer hundreds of miles without extensive recharging.

Ever stop to think this may not be targeted at you?

My employer has hundreds of 1/2 ton trucks. All parked at truck stations and central facilities every night, without fail. Our longest drive from one side of our area to the other is 100 miles and there aren't many units in our use that actually put those miles on every day.

Guaranteed we are interested if not already ordered some.

I'm taking my F150 on a driving vacation soon. Probably travel about 4000+ miles. The last thing I want is to spend hours recharging every 150 miles. And the utter inability to tow more than 90 miles.
Yes, but how many people drive their pickups 4000+ miles while on vacation? I agree, this isn't for you but for many, this is an excellent option in a truck.

Last edited:
It doesn't suit my needs for a truck, but there are certainly use cases for it. If I didn't have a travel trailer, I probably wouldn't own a pickup at all.

It doesn't suit my needs for a truck, but there are certainly use cases for it. If I didn't have a travel trailer, I probably wouldn't own a pickup at all.
Same here-or a smaller truck like a Ranger. I'm not towing a 5,000 pound-30 foot travel trailer with a Ranger all over the Rocky Mountains because I COULD. I stick with my 2018 Silverado for that.

I love new pickups, but gimme my trusty 2001 Tundra any day. Cheap and who cares if it gets scratched.
_N2NN_y29HK4tCIuOmrie9NIGVZeEP3aJPFAJfdShsj1Da3aEhAwVTNqJf-VcfhliWunQ0ed1e6aPXwtTOM4iyJa9pwfH4pkDJ4axoSgr-PW2ll-117cJ7CLOQLChYmd6Q2RUUWeLQV-b5HRpDJXvztTWurgkkHzzmQroYSuUcM_C8i7WJS-3yiEkWGZTNSFxVw5dtomVm8VO2SfyCPIJCP2rsdDP9RIDYEqRyF5rJaKjDqNbfE95Zq3GK4qhlcfPqtBtxsBDQrkLV6u6Z7q_BE4JBU_CJ32pll54bwMhP30jDcIulLufOfQzfE5mXJYeAORq1cwfadpRC0EJh12yV1yGzrWbNbESTF7VM-gLFtcLKx7U1QUPwPX5E38hiNmm2TxDxldf4EiwM519uAnWB7T4JdZLr9ffKGgRBZso-VOkgnIsRmfb6FUmVD-R8f_VdksdHVtJkoB8PAOz_Z99jPjL_mda0wUQg6vU2cM-6XAeCgGsfE06E4xpiuY7x1AjW61XNzS3zwMu4oGePHMNKq1ESvvPBK8oLvyZ6bOUsdeJB8LpzJQIkiT3x6kJo4O01c7bhz2Io7q4nEwcKMqsH8CfX9x09dgwesI3gUjsBcSBuB2GbHQigMPaf1RaOCX36WZK5KzxInmdUvoY7joSSG5bCQFG_20RI8FdzMRabAg1eANQ-NVhwHgJmJ7UNrEPt1q3DpLMfRvYHc5Rdf1jAcIUXwLWdBt02O0YIGR7PrEzXC_UD4nFFeVmbczIg=w1178-h883-no

Inevitably the conversation drifts to it won't tow my multiple thousand pound trailer hundreds of miles without extensive recharging.

Ever stop to think this may not be targeted at you?

My employer has hundreds of 1/2 ton trucks. All parked at truck stations and central facilities every night, without fail. Our longest drive from one side of our area to the other is 100 miles and there aren't many units in our use that actually put those miles on every day.

Guaranteed we are interested if not already ordered some.
We’re gonna need a nuclear power plant just to power the local Love’s truck stop….

Yes, but how many people drive their pickups 4000+ miles while on vacation? I agree, this isn't for you but for many, this is an excellent option in a truck.
Ok, it’s not for me. But say I purchase one. How do you think it’s going to go for me? Will I be singing its praises or will I be beyond annoyed trying to do real work, with delays at non Tesla charging stations, lack of highway range and an inability to meet my schedule requirements. Keep in mind I have plenty of EV experience.

The US interstates are chock a block full of travelers. Even long range Tesla cars are now seeing delays at charging stations.

I have at Least 3 functional brain cells, I don’t need to purchase one just to say “I told you so” to the people promoting these as viable.

96370d1333371469-lets-see-your-campers-being-towed-image-3282226924.jpg

Ram-2500-Towing-a-boat.jpg

Last edited:
It really depends on what you are trying to do I think. Personally I would rather have an enclosed container for vacation to haul my luggage than a bed. Also depends on how far you go of course, to me a wagon / van works best.

To me this looks like a towing vehicle in a fleet that can also be powering a job site for a day. Farmer's market or tailgating? Seems like anyplace to be parked for 1 day with not much driving distance would be a great fit.

Ok, it’s not for me. But say I purchase one. How do you think it’s going to go for me? Will I be singing its praises or will I be beyond annoyed trying to do real work, with delays at non Tesla charging stations, lack of highway range and an inability to meet my schedule requirements. Keep in mind I have plenty of EV experience.

The US interstates are chock a block full of travelers. Even long range Tesla cars are now seeing delays at charging stations.

I have at Least 3 functional brain cells, I don’t need to purchase one just to say “I told you so” to the people promoting these as viable.

96370d1333371469-lets-see-your-campers-being-towed-image-3282226924.jpg

Ram-2500-Towing-a-boat.jpg

For your usage, I'd say if you bought one that would not be a wise choice.

That doesn't take any merit away from other usage profiles.

Feels like the argument here is it doesn't meet my needs so therefore it can't meet anyone else's either.

The bigger battery version is no less than $72,474. The argument here is not that it does not meet my needs, but that it's stupidly expensive, may require expensive battery replacement and can't do what every other pickup truck ever built can do. The pouch cell batteries used in the F150 are known for swelling. Hard use and hard charging won't help that.

FWIW, I paid $40,000 for my Cessna 177RG.

When we converted from steam powered ships and trains, we moved to diesel. We did so because it was far more capable, not less.

It's the argument I ran into when I bought my current F150. The your truck is less capable than my truck argument.

Why would anyone buy a 2.7 ecoboost F150 when the 5.0 and 3.5 come with more capability (payload and towing)?

Crazy thing is it meets my needs perfectly...

Why does my employer buy all base V6 2wd trucks when the bigger engines and 4x4 trucks are what everyone knows is really needed anyways... or are we actually buying a tool matched to the job...

Will be interesting in fleet usage to see what maintenance costs and fuel costs are in comparison.

Reality is that the F150 can be optioned out in so many different ways - thats why there is 4+ internal combustion engine options, multiple cabs, bed lengths, etc.

This is one more option.

I think it is absolutely perfect for the truck utilization I see around me. Parked at the grocery store, parked at Lowe's, not a scratch in the beds, nor on the tow hitches. There is a huge market out there for trucks that aren't used as trucks, but for showing the neighbors your net worth. Not all of them are run hard and put away wet.

Back