2014 F150 will have the hauling capacity of a 1/4 ton truck
Powertrain 3.6L turbocharged V-6
Body construction: Aluminum & composite fenders, doors & panels
Frame: Tubular or hydroformed aluminum
Trans: 6 or 7 speed automatic
Driveline 2wd only no 4wd available.

Price: $38-44,000 for the base model
$45-52,000 for the luxury model

I'm not sure what they are going to do with light-duty pickups.

You can have all the engine technology in the world and still have a heavy pickup that won't get good gas mileage. In city driving weight influences the mpg a lot.

But can you concievably reduce the weight of a pickup and not affect its "pick up" qualities and characteristics? I suppose you can have high strength/low weight metals and alloys, but isn't towing capacity directly correlated to the weight of the pickup itself?

Last edited:
Will this get 60mpg?
crackmeup2.gif

John

Pickup truck purchases in the future will require a special permit (i.e., farmer, construction worker, etc.) No fancy wheels or tires, no need for leather and all the gadgets. Just a plain work truck.

Originally Posted By: astraelraen
But can you concievably reduce the weight of a pickup and not affect its "pick up" qualities and characteristics? I suppose you can have high strength/low weight metals and alloys, but isn't towing capacity directly correlated to the weight of the pickup itself?

Sort of.

It's more a question of cost AFAIK. A truck has to be very tough, but also relatively cheap. If you could find someone willing to pay $100k for an F150, I'm sure you could cut 2,000 lbs off the curb weight and still allow it to haul just fine. But that'd be kind of silly.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Pickup truck purchases in the future will require a special permit (i.e., farmer, construction worker, etc.) No fancy wheels or tires, no need for leather and all the gadgets. Just a plain work truck.

Johnny, you have been right so often, this prediction is scary. I hope you are wrong, I'll be in the truck market in about 3 years for a new tow vehicle for the camper. I need 4 doors for the family, a long bed for the scooters, and 9000 pound tow capability. Ironically, there is a Dodge diesel at the local dealer matching this right now. They are losing their dealer status.... Maybe I should check this out now...

The current F150 is only 1.5 mpg off the new stardards (remember cafe is not epa)
so this engine should get them over the hump.
Myself dont have a use for sparky engines- oilburner only.What I need is the new 4.4 with the new cat from Argonne national labs,more compression ,no regen same power as my 7.3.
WOO-HOO! bobcat engine

Last edited:
I think NA MIGHT go the other way.

Look at it this way: In a few years, we will be relying more and more on unconventional and hard to reach oil supplies. Oil sands, oil shale, and Artic exploring, which will involve on-land wells at first, will become big plays. We will actually need MORE trucks for the people who work these locations to get to them.

I think trucks may get bigger, and start to evolve backwards. I wouldn't be suprised if Chinese-made, Hummer-based pick-ups became very common in these areas, and the towns that grew up around them.

I dont see how that is possible. All of the RV owners, boat owners, ATV and motorcycle haulers etc.

Originally Posted By: heavyhitter

I dont see how that is possible. All of the RV owners, boat owners, ATV and motorcycle haulers etc.

Those excessive consumption vehicles will no longer be allowed when pickups require special permits.

You have a valid point. But a permit to buy a P/U costing a few hundred $$ will easily take care of that. Call it a what ever you like, but it's another fee added into the cost. People that want these vehicles will pay the fee too. JMO

I think the F-150 is one Ford you won't need to worry about. Two things that Detroit really knows well are pickups and loopholes. They aren't going anywhere, and it is unlikely that capability will decrease.

In fact, the F-150 came about because of this kind of thing. Due to new emissions requirements in the 1970s, Ford had to use smaller engines with cats on the F-100. The F-150 was introduced, with a higher GVWR than the F-100, which made it exempt from new regulations.

Many of the current 1/2 tons are excessive in every way, and they still have managed to get fuel economy up into the low 20s. You may see fewer crew cab, big V8, loaded pickups in the future, but the pickup itself won't go anywhere. Ford and the others are certainly capable of building efficient trucks with high payload and towing capacities, but until now it has been more profitable to build crew cabs with features comparable to luxury cars and big V8s.

Here is something to think about. You can get a basic I4 Ranger with a payload capacity over 1500 lbs. Guess what the payload capacity is for the typical loaded crew cab luxury 1/2 ton with a big V8? Around 1500 lbs., and often times less than that. Many are in the 1000-1300 lb. range. It isn't fuel economy or the government that has been holding back capability until now, it is all the khrap that people insist on having to keep up with their neighbors. Maybe the new regulations won't be such a bad thing...it will force truck makers to get back to the basics.

By 2014 with the gang we have in power now, there will not be any boating, campers, etc. Anything that makes smoke has a target on it. Tow vehicles will not be permitted.

Last edited:
If I were full of myself and wanting to impress my thumb on the auto business...

I'd come up with a checklist of 50 or so items, like

non-rubber carpeting
leather seats
GPS
non-AM radio
LOL.gif

>2 doors
clearcoat paint

and declare that greater than ~5/50 means the vehicle is a car and needs to meet car CAFE regs instead of the looser truck ones!!

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Those excessive consumption vehicles will no longer be allowed when pickups require special permits.

Don't get me wrong, but are you saying the government will dictate how people spend their hard-earned money by straight out banning what they label "excessive consumption" vehicles?

I realise this is nothing new and in places like Europe it's a case of rising taxes on the said items, so less people can actually buy them. But banning something all together sounds rather over the top. I suppose it's the same thing in the end.
crazy2.gif

If they're straight out worried about fuel economy, why don't they just focus on diesel-powered vehicles instead, as is the case in Europe?

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Here is something to think about. You can get a basic I4 Ranger with a payload capacity over 1500 lbs. Guess what the payload capacity is for the typical loaded crew cab luxury 1/2 ton with a big V8? Around 1500 lbs., and often times less than that. Many are in the 1000-1300 lb. range.

Here's the facts:

Maximum available payload capacity for a "Basic" 2009 I4 Ranger is 1,180 pounds. Not "over 1500".

Source: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/09_Ranger_Online Spec Light.pdf

Maximum available payload capacity for the 2009 F-150 5.4 SuperCrew 4x2 Styleside 145" wheelbase is 1,760 pounds. Not "1500, or 1000 or 1300".

Source: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/09 F-150_online SpecLite_NAV.pdf

Do you want to try that again?

I'm sorry. But your bias for the Ranger is starting to go to your head, and you're starting to make statements that simply aren't true.

In addition to the permits and taxes, there will be specific clothing required while operating these vehicles.

kim-jong-il.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back