The 2014 F-150....

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: jsharp
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Pickup truck purchases in the future will require a special permit (i.e., farmer, construction worker, etc.) No fancy wheels or tires, no need for leather and all the gadgets. Just a plain work truck.

In addition to the permits and taxes, there will be specific clothing required while operating these vehicles.

kim-jong-il.jpg

Pretty cool uniform, where can I get one?
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Those excessive consumption vehicles will no longer be allowed when pickups require special permits.

Don't get me wrong, but are you saying the government will dictate how people spend their hard-earned money by straight out banning what they label "excessive consumption" vehicles?...

I'm saying that if the gov't has come to the point that they are controlling who can buy a truck for practical purposes due to resource management (i.e. fuel, carbon footprint, etc) they sure as heck are not going to allow vehicles for recreation that use resources for the sake of fun. They will not dictate how your money is spent, there will be none of these to buy.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Here is something to think about. You can get a basic I4 Ranger with a payload capacity over 1500 lbs. Guess what the payload capacity is for the typical loaded crew cab luxury 1/2 ton with a big V8? Around 1500 lbs., and often times less than that. Many are in the 1000-1300 lb. range.

Here's the facts:

Maximum available payload capacity for a "Basic" 2009 I4 Ranger is 1,180 pounds. Not "over 1500".

Source: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/09_Ranger_Online Spec Light.pdf

Maximum available payload capacity for the 2009 F-150 5.4 SuperCrew 4x2 Styleside 145" wheelbase is 1,760 pounds. Not "1500, or 1000 or 1300".

Source: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/09 F-150_online SpecLite_NAV.pdf

Do you want to try that again?

I'm sorry. But your bias for the Ranger is starting to go to your head, and you're starting to make statements that simply aren't true.

The payloads listed in the Ranger brochure are not for payload package 2, and they don't even begin to cover the various GVWRs available. Go to a dealer and get a free towing guide instead of the useless brochure. With payload package 2 the payload capacity for a Ranger I4 is well over 1180. I have owned one, have you? I specifically remember the door jamb sticker listing the GVWR of my 2001 2.5 at 5440 lbs...and it might have weighed 3000 lbs. soaking wet.

As for the 1/2 tons, you can really play around with the configurations all day, but 9 times out of 10, the truck with the most options has the worst payload. It isn't hard to figure that out...more stuff = more weight, and more weight eats into the GVWR. And notice I didn't specifically say "2009 F-150," I said 1/2 tons, like I did in my original post. With a bad gear combo and loaded up with options, I can guarantee you that the payload for a Super Crew or any other 1/2 crew cab is not 1760 lbs. I don't have time to go chasing links, but I have looked up the payloads for various other 1/2 tons before and have seen them well below 1500 lbs. The last one I remember looking up was a 2008 Tundra Crew Max or whatever 4x4 which came in at around 1350 lbs. That's sure not 1500.

You missed the point of my post entirely though. My point is that the loaded trucks have the worst payload. Go look up the payload for a regular cab long bed 1/2 ton from any brand. It's a [censored] of a lot more than what you would find on any loaded crew cab from the same company. I don't care what make/model you use for the comparison, the result is usually the same. I only picked the Ranger because I happened to own one with a GVWR that I remembered and that put its payload in the 1500 lb. range. I don't know the payload or GVWR for a Tacoma, or Frontier, or most other trucks off the top of my head. I'm sure if you looked it up though, you could find configurations of those trucks that have payload capacities comparable or higher to those of some larger trucks. If you want your crew cab with a full floor console, DVD player, 20" wheels, moonroof, and every other gadget and useless feature on the option sheet, you will be sacrificing something else unless the GVWR goes up too.

Originally Posted By: jsharp
In addition to the permits and taxes, there will be specific clothing required while operating these vehicles.

kim-jong-il.jpg

crackmeup2.gif
Now THAT is funny....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick

I'm saying that if the gov't has come to the point that they are controlling who can buy a truck for practical purposes due to resource management (i.e. fuel, carbon footprint, etc) they sure as heck are not going to allow vehicles for recreation that use resources for the sake of fun. They will not dictate how your money is spent, there will be none of these to buy.

They can't really do that. But what they will do is make new models so expensive it will drive away all the consumers.

I specifically remember the door jamb sticker listing the GVWR of my 2001 2.5 at 5440 lbs...and it might have weighed 3000 lbs. soaking wet.

Edit...meant to put 4540 lbs.

Here is something to think about. You can get a basic I4 Ranger with a payload capacity over 1500 lbs. Guess what the payload capacity is for the typical loaded crew cab luxury 1/2 ton with a big V8? Around 1500 lbs., and often times less than that. Many are in the 1000-1300 lb. range.

Here's the facts:

Maximum available payload capacity for a "Basic" 2009 I4 Ranger is 1,180 pounds. Not "over 1500".

Source: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/09_Ranger_Online Spec Light.pdf

Maximum available payload capacity for the 2009 F-150 5.4 SuperCrew 4x2 Styleside 145" wheelbase is 1,760 pounds. Not "1500, or 1000 or 1300".

Source: http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/09 F-150_online SpecLite_NAV.pdf

I'm sorry. But your bias for the Ranger is starting to go to your head, and you're starting to make statements that simply aren't true.

The payloads listed in the Ranger brochure are not for payload package 2, and they don't even begin to cover the various GVWRs available. Go to a dealer and get a free towing guide instead of the useless brochure. With payload package 2 the payload capacity for a Ranger I4 is well over 1180. I have owned one, have you? I specifically remember the door jamb sticker listing the GVWR of my 2001 2.5 at 5440 lbs...and it might have weighed 3000 lbs. soaking wet.

As for the 1/2 tons, you can really play around with the configurations all day, but 9 times out of 10, the truck with the most options has the worst payload. It isn't hard to figure that out...more stuff = more weight, and more weight eats into the GVWR. And notice I didn't specifically say "2009 F-150," I said 1/2 tons, like I did in my original post. With a bad gear combo and loaded up with options, I can guarantee you that the payload for a Super Crew or any other 1/2 crew cab is not 1760 lbs. I don't have time to go chasing links, but I have looked up the payloads for various other 1/2 tons before and have seen them well below 1500 lbs. The last one I remember looking up was a 2008 Tundra Crew Max or whatever 4x4 which came in at around 1350 lbs. That's sure not 1500.

You missed the point of my post entirely though. My point is that the loaded trucks have the worst payload. Go look up the payload for a regular cab long bed 1/2 ton from any brand. It's a [censored] of a lot more than what you would find on any loaded crew cab from the same company. I don't care what make/model you use for the comparison, the result is usually the same. I only picked the Ranger because I happened to own one with a GVWR that I remembered and that put its payload in the 1500 lb. range. I don't know the payload or GVWR for a Tacoma, or Frontier, or most other trucks off the top of my head. I'm sure if you looked it up though, you could find configurations of those trucks that have payload capacities comparable or higher to those of some larger trucks. If you want your crew cab with a full floor console, DVD player, 20" wheels, moonroof, and every other gadget and useless feature on the option sheet, you will be sacrificing something else unless the GVWR goes up too.

I'm not going to a dealer for anything. The numbers that I used don't lie, and I gave my source... which just happened to be the Ford Motor Company.

Your numbers that you quoted for the Ranger are bunk, according to Ford.

Are you trying to tell us that you know Ford's numbers better than them? That hole you're digging for yourself is only getting deeper...

I'm not going to a dealer for anything. The numbers that I used don't lie, and I gave my source... which just happened to be the Ford Motor Company.

Your numbers that you quoted for the Ranger are bunk, according to Ford.

Are you trying to tell us that you know Ford's numbers better than them? That hole you're digging for yourself is only getting deeper...

My numbers are bunk? I have owned a 2001 2.5 I4 Ranger and saw the door sticker many times...the GVWR was 4540 lbs. on a 3000 lb. truck. I guess you are the expert though and the sticker Ford put on my truck was wrong. Afterall, you read the 7 page brochure.

Here is something with a little more info than the brochure...an upfitter guide from Ford's fleet website which clearly shows the difference between the two payload packages...
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/2002/rager2cd.pdf

Pages 3 and 13 have all the info you need. Knock yourself out. The 1640 lbs. listed for regular cab SWB 2WDs with payload package 2 sure isn't 1180 lbs.

Unfortunately, the one I have a link to is a little outdated, but I was looking for info for my truck when I found this a few months back. I'm sure you can find a similar guide for 2009 if you want to search for it. The payloads listed in the 2002 guide should still apply though, seeing as nothing mechanical has changed on the Ranger since then.

Here's the facts:

Yep, that's right. I have a '95 Ranger longbed 2.3L 4cyl 2wd 5speed. 175k original clutch. Tows 3000 lbs no problem: trailer + racing car (Formula Ford) + tires & tools

1. You need know when to shift and keep your foot into it to keep momentum. No automatics to sap the power or guess what to do going up hills. You pay attention and it pays off.
2. 21 mpg towing. No kidding. 93 octane.
3. If you are smooth on the shifts and brakes, plus match the revs on the downshifts, safer (stable) than an automatic and more efficient and faster.

Originally Posted By: PT1
My prediction:

2014 F150 will have the hauling capacity of a 1/4 ton truck
Powertrain 3.6L turbocharged V-6
Body construction: Aluminum & composite fenders, doors & panels
Frame: Tubular or hydroformed aluminum
Trans: 6 or 7 speed automatic
Driveline 2wd only no 4wd available.

Price: $38-44,000 for the base model
$45-52,000 for the luxury model

I think this is [censored].

During Jay Leno's last week, he had Brian Williams of NBC News on. (I hate practically everything about NBC News but don't mind Williams personally.)

One thing Williams said seemed pertinent. He said that America is an F-150 nation. the people who live in New York and Washington do not understand this, but all across the Heartland Fords in particular, and pickups in general, are an icon.

There are lots of Democratic congressmen from districts where the number of pickups exceed the number of votes they got in the last election. They understand this, even if the committee chairmen from Santa Monica and the Bronx do not.

There are other things that limit efficiency

The maker might get around that by making the body like a 1997 F150 on steriods, and making it as low in profile as an El Camino.

Longitudinal RWD and AWD is not as efficient as transverse FWD and AWD. Maybe the F150 will recieve FWD, and an option will be an AWD system that resembles a Honda CRV or Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.

FWD is not good for a pickup.

Transverse AWD would be feasible, but as I understand most of the fuel savings come from the fact that it usually runs in FWD mode until power needs to be sent to the rear. That wouldn't be optimal for any pickup unless it's unladen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back