"That's neither here nor there"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Changing gears a bit (I have AADD)

So, "at the end of the day", is it 12AM or 12PM?

??!!

There's is only one 1200, and that is 12PM. The second trip 'round the clock puts you at 0000, or 12AM.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's not an expression, it's an idiom. Idioms have a different meaning from their literal components.

Your idiom means whatever you're saying is of no importance or relevance. A bit ironic.

Any thread that generates a derogatory response from Pop_Rivit is a success.
smile.gif

11.gif

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

??!!

There's is only one 1200, and that is 12PM. The second trip 'round the clock puts you at 0000, or 12AM.

How does one "rock" around the clock? Seems like rocking would only allow one to cover some of the clock. Certainly not go all the way around it.

Don't be obtuse. One rocks around the clock the same way one drinks around the clock. Get with it.

SERIOUSLY: I always thought "neither here nor there" referred to something fitting into neither of the categories offered.

Does this concept comport with the mountain people's outlook or does it fit more with the flatlanders'? Well, it's neither here nor there, a response could go.

It's much more polite an answer than, "Don't try to box me into your two choices you pig!" Kira

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
If it's neither here nor there, then where is it ? It's gotta be somewhere.
confused2.gif

I never could understand that expression.

It means that, whatever it is, it's irrelevent.

And also irrelevant.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's not an expression, it's an idiom. Idioms have a different meaning from their literal components.

Your idiom means whatever you're saying is of no importance or relevance. A bit ironic.

Actually, every single idiom that has ever existed in any language is an expression.

If something is neither in place #1 (here) or place #2 (there), it is either in an infinite number of other possible places (likely) or nonexistent, or existent but not in a physical place, or exixtent but in an unknown or indeterminate place.

??!!
I would say sunset.....

Originally Posted By: Kira
Don't be obtuse. One rocks around the clock the same way one drinks around the clock. Get with it.

SERIOUSLY: I always thought "neither here nor there" referred to something fitting into neither of the categories offered.

Does this concept comport with the mountain people's outlook or does it fit more with the flatlanders'? Well, it's neither here nor there, a response could go.

It's much more polite an answer than, "Don't try to box me into your two choices you pig!" Kira

The idea of counting and making a complete circle while drinking makes me doubtful.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

??!!

Spoken like a good soldier, Pyle
smile.gif

10PM, 11PM, 12?? whaa?? this does not follow.

10AM, 11AM, 12???

I've read on wiki=leaks=pedia that there exist no AM PM at transition.

12 Noon and 12 Midnight.

AM or PM are irrelevant here.

'Neither here nor there' means that it doesn't matter or make any difference to whatever the conversation is about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back